Aftermarket stereo 12v Swirched power for a 99 Eldorado ETC
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, Aftermarket stereo 12v Swirched power for a 99 Eldorado ETC in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I have a question on here that I'm hoping someone can answer for me. How do I connect 12v Switched ...
    Twiggr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Aftermarket stereo 12v Swirched power for a 99 Eldorado ETC

I have a question on here that I'm hoping someone can answer for me. How do I connect 12v Switched power to my aftermarket Kenwood stereo? Right now I have both battery and switched connected to the Orange wire(fused battery) of the cars harness. Actually, I bought a 32 pin harness to plug into it directly bbut the red wire on the new harness doesnt match up with a switched 12v wire in the cars plug...it is empty. I have the actual service manual for this car which shows that position unused (F2). And no switched 12v pin is listed among them all!!!
    The stereo that was in it is the non-Bose version tape deck. As far as i know no amps or bose system was installed in this car. Everything works as should wired directly but I don't like it like that because to me...it just isn't correct. I thought maybe of running a wire directly from the ignition switch. Is there another wire within this harness or area that I should use instead? I left the Data wires alone as well. I did many web searches on the subject and came up empty.
    Please help. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Re: Aftermarket stereo 12v Swirched power for a 99 Eldorado ETC

Not sure about your service manual but the wire on F1 pin (orange) is the switched wire, is controlled by the RAP relays.
    Is not exactly a "classic" switched wires like in other cars, is more elaborate that that, it has power with ignition ON or in ACC and 10 minutes after the ignition if turned OFF or until a door is opened (witch ever comes first).
    You won't find much information on this subject because not many people replace their Cadillac OEM HU with some aftermarket stuff.
    By the way you suppose to jump together the two data wires, I bet your 32 pin male aftermarket connector does not even have wires to the data pins.

Yes it shows F1 as Fused Output-Battery. Both wires are connected to this wire. Problem is that the stereo remains powered on at all times....even after door is opened. The reasoning behind me puttng in aftermarket is that I wanted CD. Looking over the system...the speakers weren't the preamped Bose kind and it didnt have the black box located in the rear compartment that I saw in another posting to verify if I could use a Bose CD OEM reciever. I also figured if I use the aftermarket I coud use an amp I have on hand without having to splice into the rear spearker wires and use one of those adapters. I havent spliced the data wires together as you mentioned.....what will this accomplish if i do so? And u r correct that the connector doesnt have the pins to accomplish this...its just got the basic wiring. I was gonna go to radio shack and get pins and some wiring some wiring and add pins if i needed to. If you have any ideas or believe that my system will accept a bose reciever...let me know. I'd hate to purchase one and find that i won't. Thanks for the reply H

I also read on the forum that I can connect into the pink wire on the power windows for the switched power. Witch makes sense since it stays powered till door is opened and are powered when the key is engaged. I may try this and want to know if i need to connect data wires and why. I read alot about security issues and want to be able to use the aftermarket head and amp without this occuring. I hooked it up last nite temporarily and everything seems like it worked ok except door chimes...which i don't really care about. I didnt go with a bose OEM radiio cuz i thought it wouldnt work and i didnt want to adapt a cd changer...i want the stupid looking cassette radio gone. 99 Eldorado ETS. I can try and send pics of radio and other places if anything would help someone tell me that what im doing will be ok.

well i mighta screwed the pooch. I left the factory radio out...nothing plugged into harness and this morning i got out to take a look at it and the key fob, electric locks nothing worked....I started the car and the theft system started the horn honking. I replugged the factory stereo back in and although that works the theft system still honks. What should i do or is there something i can do. I was tryin to figure how to installa aftermarket cd player yesterday...my post u replied to....and although it worked...i unplugged it until i figured something out permently. I may have to wire in the factory unit as well as the aftermarket...and place it in trunk, but now i have a theft alarm issue. Will it reset itself somehow?

UPDATE.....let it sit for half an hour and was searchin the website for a fix, when i went out to garage and used keyfob. everything works now. i even found a radio cass/cd out of a 99 deville with theftlock on the face...on ebay and i bought it for $30 to be on safe side. I'm assuming if i decide to go this route...all i would have to do is take it to my dealer and have them install vin number right? will i b able to swap to the original oem cass radio if i decide to for whatever reason as well? I'm guessing that if i still want to use my aftermarket radio...I will need to wire my OEM radio in as well and place it in trunk. I thought of disaassemblying it to take a look at it and see if i can minimize it some to install under dashboard.i bought the cd version for backup plan B. Part of the reason im still pondering the idea of aftermarket is that it has ipod and usb connections as well as the amp hookups...plus bluetooth for use of phone, etc.
    N Caddy...you seem to be very knowledable in this area so correct me if im wrong in any areas. as in prior posts i believe i solved the keyed voltage problem for my afermarket by tieing into a switched wire and then adapting a stock harness to my aftermarket by supplying power, ground, data links and front left speaker to the oem radio to retain all functions (& supplying front left speakers should give me the chimes). If the radio cant be downsized, then i will mount it in trunk. I just need to find a donor harness from a donor car.

1. The alarm thing it happened in time to give you an early warning about what you will have to coop with. Usually it happens once in a while, sometimes in the middle of the night.
    2. NO WAY you can just put a BOSE HU in a non-BOSE car, don't waste your money. I mean yeah is possible but you have to change EVERYTHING in the sound system (all speaker, HU, all wires, add RIM, 2 relays...).
    3. A base '98+ HU is identical in EVERY way with a '96-'97 unit except '98+ has Theftlock (witch will cost you ~$50 to unlock to a dealer). So if you have BASE and you need to change the HU (for some reason) save yourself the $50 and buy the '96-'97 unit.

4. There is a VERY simple way to add 12 disks to your base or BOSE sound system by using a OEM CD changer. No need to disconnect anything, no need to program anything. Is truly plug and play (the harness is in the trunk near the power antenna wire)

No matter what you do PLEASE don't cut into your factory wires. Buy a $5 connector (buy 2 if you don't have enough pins and use that to connect what ever you want to the factory harness.

woozlewrangler is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 ETC

Quote Originally Posted by N*Caddy View Post
    1. The alarm thing it happened in time to give you an early warning about what you will have to coop with. Usually it happens once in a while, sometimes in the middle of the night.
    2. NO WAY you can just put a BOSE HU in a non-BOSE car, don't waste your money. I mean yeah is possible but you have to change EVERYTHING in the sound system (all speaker, HU, all wires, add RIM, 2 relays...).
    3. A base '98+ HU is identical in EVERY way with a '96-'97 unit except '98+ has Theftlock (witch will cost you ~$50 to unlock to a dealer). So if you have BASE and you need to change the HU (for some reason) save yourself the $50 and buy the '96-'97 unit.

4. There is a VERY simple way to add 12 disks to your base or BOSE sound system by using a OEM CD changer. No need to disconnect anything, no need to program anything. Is truly plug and play (the harness is in the trunk near the power antenna wire)

No matter what you do PLEASE don't cut into your factory wires. Buy a $5 connector (buy 2 if you don't have enough pins and use that to connect what ever you want to the factory harness.
    Thanks for the advice N*Caddy. Just picked up an ETC with the OEM Bose HU. It has a Sony CD changer in the trunk and I presume it's connected via the same harness jacks you mentioned. Came across this thread becase I want to run an ipod/mp3 player. Are the only aux jacks available for connecting an ipod back there in the trunk or is there something closer to the HU that can be used, keeping the HU and surrounding console intact?

The Sony HU is aftermarket so 99% is FM modulator (you probably have a remote controller somewhere in your dash).
    The OEM CD changer should be Delco Electronics, I am not sure if is in fact a rebranded Kenwood, Pioneer or Matsushita....The original Aftermarket branded CD changer is the only one working on C&E the data bus as the OEM. Basically is the same unit just slightly different case (may not mount on the bracket).
    If you have BOSE then is fairly easy to add a AUX input to your HU, right by the HU not in the trunk. Follow my posts about AUX inputs and you can see how with basic electronics skills you can make your own. Even using google type my ID and "AUX input Cadillac" and in the image section the schematic is comming in the first 2-3 pictures.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.