aftermarket hu ?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, aftermarket hu ? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; has anyone had a successful after market install in a 99 deville or 96-99 deville (tape deck no bose) without ...
    myfirstdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 deville

aftermarket hu ?

has anyone had a successful after market install in a 99 deville or 96-99 deville (tape deck no bose) without having to keep the factory radio wired? from what i'm reading here it seems impossible....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

SoundQ_NDN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Silver 1999 Sedan DeVille (base) 103,000 miles

Re: aftermarket hu ?

I've had an aftermarket headunit installed professionally and it didn't work. First they just used an aftermarket harness and I had no chime, no constant wire, and no switched ignition wire.

After wasting my money there, I went and did some research. I found a constant power wire under the dash(yellow for aftermarket radio). A test light comes in real handy in this situation. For a switched ignition wire(red for aftermarket radio) I tapped into the power window wire(thick pink under driver side panel) and this also retained the RAP (retained accessory power). For ground(black) I found an existing bolt under the dash. The radio would function like normal with the key and all BUT I had no chime and after awhile the car would go into sleep mode(key fob won't work, dash resets, and alarm will sound when you try to start car).

So I had to relocate the factory radio. I bought trailer wire from Walmart for around $12 and I was able to run an extension harness with power(orange), two data wires(both purple, one thick and one thin), and a ground wire(black) for the radio in the trunk. I got a factory harness from the boneyard to plug into the radio in the trunk. If you want the chime to work you'll need a speaker to mount under the dash like I did and one speaker wire from the radio to the speaker under the dash. It'll be the front left speaker output.

After everything was installed, I powered up and everything worked like normal. I had a functioning chime, I had RAP, constant power, and a switched ignition when I turned the key. And the best part of all no more sleep mode.

I did use the aftermarket harness for speaker wires and for the power antenna. It seems like alot of work but once you get everything working it's totally worth it!! You're able to play CDs and you have something nice to look at instead of an ugly TAPE player.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.