Navigation Installed - 93 Seville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, Navigation Installed - 93 Seville in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Been wanting this for the past few months, planned it out for the past few weeks, finally got it done ...
    ZeroOctane is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 4.9L Seville - Navi w/ backup cam, 40 Series Exhaust

Navigation Installed - 93 Seville

Been wanting this for the past few months, planned it out for the past few weeks, finally got it done this Columbus weekend. I'm very pleased with how it came out. Here's a review of what I used and the basic method for doing it since there is next to no information out there on bypassing the early Seville's. Hopefully this helps, feel free to PM or post any questions.

Components
    X920BT
    PAC SNI-1 Ground Loop Isolators
    GM1590 Dash Kit
    Metra 70-1857 Harness
    Chinese Backup Cam
    Battery Disconnect Switch

Functionality Gained:
    Navigation, Bluetooth phone and audio, video via DVD playback/SD Card/USB, audio via CD/SD/USB/Bluetooth/3.5mm, Backup Cam
    Functionality lost:
    Power antenna is always up, No tape player

Process
    I started off by trimming down the dash kit. When you get the kit in the mail it has like a million different tabs to accommodate the various vehicles it's meant to be used on. I trimmed off all the side tabs and attached the bottom bracket. On that bottom bracket there are two slots that are meant to accommodate the screw + screw clips that you remove from the stock headunit. After that the dash kit should reassemble in function the stock headunit.

I then wire tied the various wires I'd be running to the trunk (harness, video cable, reverse wire). I pulled up the door trim panels according to how N*Caddy recommended (thanks buddy) and exposed this little valley where a bunch of wires ran right to the trunk. I put the new wires in there (see picture, yep there is enough room). In the rear you remove the bottom of the back seat by pushing in hard then pulling up, you also need to loosen the top portion of the back seat to expose an area to run the cables. Then you're in the trunk, where the harness breaks off to the right to plug into the tuner's car harness and the video/reverse wire break off to the left so I could tuck them into the pipe that runs along the trunk hing for a neater look as they run up into the trunk lid (see picture).

Passing the harness's wires up to the dash is a little time consuming. The dash for the headunit is actually really tight especially later on when everything is in there. There is a small little gap underneath the glove box on the right side that you can just barely reach with your finger. I managed one at a time to pass the harness through there.

Then I wired up the harness to the new headunit's harness, plugged in GPS, MIC etc (see picture). This part is pretty straightforward and tedious so I'll skip it, unless you've never worked with wires before in which case feel free to PM me. Oh, I ran the USB/3.5mm to the center console (see picture), not glove box.

I then verified everything worked so far, which it did, no problems at all. There was a slight buzzing noise so I attached the ground loop isolators which got rid of all of it except for in one instance (read on). I've found these PAC ground loop isolators to be a must for any of these type of installs.

Then I drilled the backup cam in and tapped into the reverse wire (light green). The design of the cam is really nice in that the screen and wire are one in the same and pass through a single hole. The problem with this is that on our Caddy's there is this bubble type thing above where you would normally mount a backup cam which blocked and prevented me from screwing on the bolt to secure the camera. So I didn't screw it down but the camera seems to be pretty securely in place, time will tell. I love the clean, chrome look, almost looks stock (see pictures).

Check that the camera worked (it did), and then I started putting the seats, trim etc. back in place and cleaning up the car and garage.

Problems
    Honestly it was a very problem free install, just time consuming since there wasn't much information on how to trim the kit. Everything turned right on and works. Two minor issue's.

Power Antenna is always up. I checked all my wiring and it is good, I also tapped into the pink trigger wires on the antenna but it still always went up. Currently I have the blue/white remote power antenna trigger wire on the headunit harness wired into the blue power antenna wire on the metra harness.

Buzzing. There is a slight buzz present only when the headlights are on, during daytime it is not there. It comes from the front speakers. I thought perhaps the illumination wire I tapped into for auto dim was located near the front speaker rca's but it wasn't. I even took off the crimp and tapped up the wire but still the same buzzing.

Dash. The trim around the radio isn't very impressive. I plan on fixing this hopefully this weekend with some black molding. The radio sticks out a slight bit more than the stock radio but that's because the new headunit is deeper and there are a ton more wires back there (see pictures).

That's it, no other problems. No security alarm issue's, no dieing headunit from lack of power, nothing serious at all. It is very possible to replace the headunit on this car with a music nicer, feature rich one. It's just time consuming.

Recommendations:
    - DISCONNECT THE BATTERY DURING ALL WORK
    - Use a battery disconnect switch, it's so much easier than connecting and disconnecting the battery every time you need to move a seat forward, test a wire for voltage, test the headunit or whatever.
    - Get the ground loop isolators. A lot of people seem to wing it and see how bad the noise is first. The you're out another week while you wait for delivery of the isolators.
    - Buy plenty of various size wire ties
    - Keep a computer nearby just so you can look up shit and pass time during lunch break

Pictures

^Dash kit with tabs removed but before clips + screws installed^

^Panel removed, valley exposed^

^Rear Seat Out^

^Passing through to the interior from the trunk^

^Passed through into the center console via a drilled and filed hole^

^Testing out DVD Playback with Training Day^

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadi509 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V Tango int

Re: Navigation Installed - 93 Seville

Nice install man looks great!!

Thanks for the compliment. Since the install I've resolved two of the issue's. I installed a switch to manually control the antenna (installed in the drivers side foot well where there is a slight gap between console padding and dash trim). I also was able to seat the unit further back by holding the wires up with a thin screw driver as the unit was pushed into place. See the pics below.

still_walkin is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac deville sedan

nice install im thinking of unplugging my antenna all together so it will stay down all the time looks cleaner with it down

cadi509 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V Tango int

You don't get as good reception, and yea it looks much better With that gap fixed, and the switch is no big deal since its hidden don't take everything N* caddy says to personal he's extremely brilliant just doesn't believe in a lot of aftermarket parts, I'm thinking of upgrading from the pioneer avh-p4100dvd to the avic-b110ut I think it is, again nice install and pioneer

Warspite is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1962 coupe (selling), 1995 Seville SLS, 1966 Sedan DeVille

Hey, ZeroOctane-

This is inspiring work! I installed the Metra harness in my 95, with a JVC KW-XR610 HU. Deck was a PERFECT fit, and the radio console bezel flushed up against the faceplate, so there was no gap.

Now that the harness is done, and the HU will fit, I haven't been able to get any sound of the stock Bose speakers/amp combos. It is very faint, as if the low level signals from the HU are just passed through. Did you have this problem? The Metra harness bypasses the RIM in the trunk, but what about the Bose amp(s)? Antenna works as it should, and yes, I did hook up ground loop isolators. To test, I disconnected them, and still faint sound (at max volume on the HU).

Any ideas as to where to look for something simple that I missed? BTW, the harness run to the trunk was super clean, using N*Caddy's suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Warspite View Post
    Hey, ZeroOctane-

This is inspiring work! I installed the Metra harness in my 95, with a JVC KW-XR610 HU. Deck was a PERFECT fit, and the radio console bezel flushed up against the faceplate, so there was no gap.

Now that the harness is done, and the HU will fit, I haven't been able to get any sound of the stock Bose speakers/amp combos. It is very faint, as if the low level signals from the HU are just passed through. Did you have this problem? The Metra harness bypasses the RIM in the trunk, but what about the Bose amp(s)? Antenna works as it should, and yes, I did hook up ground loop isolators. To test, I disconnected them, and still faint sound (at max volume on the HU).

Any ideas as to where to look for something simple that I missed? BTW, the harness run to the trunk was super clean, using N*Caddy's suggestions.
    Hmm, lemme think. I think I had a similar issue when I did this install on my Lexus. I think I put the ground loop isolators in backwards (input-output reversed), or I didn't ground the isolators (the brown wires need to be grounded on the headunit, not the body of the car). Also, did you have a Bose headunit? There are separate wire harness's for Bose and non-Bose.

Now, here's the rub. The HU WAS a Bose Gold unit, but when I went to install the Bose harness, I found that the car had the BASE speakers (10 ohm) and NO external amps. Therefore, these speakers were being barely driven by the low-level 2.5V signal from the replacement HU (a JVC KW610, with CD, bluetooth, and USB iPod controller). Looks like I'll keep the Bose harness in place, because it correctly powere the unit and power antenna, but I'll need to run new speaker wire to use the high power output of the JVC HU. I'll probably ditch the stock UW6 base speakers with Rockford Fosgates at the same time I run the speaker wires (and just disconnect the RCA connectors). I cannot find any external amp for the base system, so I'll have no choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Warspite View Post
    Now, here's the rub. The HU WAS a Bose Gold unit, but when I went to install the Bose harness, I found that the car had the BASE speakers (10 ohm) and NO external amps. Therefore, these speakers were being barely driven by the low-level 2.5V signal from the replacement HU (a JVC KW610, with CD, bluetooth, and USB iPod controller). Looks like I'll keep the Bose harness in place, because it correctly powere the unit and power antenna, but I'll need to run new speaker wire to use the high power output of the JVC HU. I'll probably ditch the stock UW6 base speakers with Rockford Fosgates at the same time I run the speaker wires (and just disconnect the RCA connectors). I cannot find any external amp for the base system, so I'll have no choice.
    I'd double check all your wiring. I'm no expert on audio but I have done a few installs and something just doesn't sound right about yours. It seems like your speakers aren't receiving power from the harness or the amps aren't turning on. Double check your wiring.

Did that last night, and here are the results:

This obviously was modified by the previous owner. Bose HU, no external amps could be found, and a number of wires under the glove box were taped.

I then ran 2 14ga. speaker wires alongside the Metra harness (there was room for Monster cable if need be) directly to the stock 10 Ohm speakers in the rear deck. Bingo! Worked like a champ. Awaiting receipt of a matched set of Rockford Fosgate replacement speakers, and I'll do the fronts and button all of this up.

Note: The Metra harness assumes Bose components all around, including common ground for the speakers. This would have worked, so for all others reading this post, I'd recommend this harness, and the ground loop isolators. Many aftermarket head units will go into protect mode if common ground is encountered.

I have to give Cadillac credit - every panel had adequate padding - unlike my previous car, which was an Infiniti Q45 with a Bose system.

captkush is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Seville

Great post. Exacly what im looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by captkush View Post
    Great post. Exacly what im looking for.
    Thanks, any questions feel free to ask. After having this setup in for over a year it's made driving the car a lot more pleasant and was definitely worth the time and money.

still_walkin is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac deville sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by cadi509
    You don't get as good reception, and yea it looks much better With that gap fixed, and the switch is no big deal since its hidden don't take everything N* caddy says to personal he's extremely brilliant just doesn't believe in a lot of aftermarket parts, I'm thinking of upgrading from the pioneer avh-p4100dvd to the avic-b110ut I think it is, again nice install and pioneer
    The reason why is I did a car PC install

eboncole18 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 cadillac deville concours

hey i read over your info and i have a 95 cadillac deville concours when i brought it there was already the exact wiring harness i needed and its already ran from the truck to the dash ok the problem is i dont know where those plugins go for my aftermarket cd player the ones that are colored i dont know if i need to buy something to plug them into

Quote Originally Posted by eboncole18 View Post
    hey i read over your info and i have a 95 cadillac deville concours when i brought it there was already the exact wiring harness i needed and its already ran from the truck to the dash ok the problem is i dont know where those plugins go for my aftermarket cd player the ones that are colored i dont know if i need to buy something to plug them into
    Your headunit should have it's own wiring harness - match up the correct wires between the two harnesses.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.