Installing new Kenwood AM/FM/Sat in 04 DeVille
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, Installing new Kenwood AM/FM/Sat in 04 DeVille in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Start of problem: the radio would not turn on...not premium system...no OnStar anymore. Removed radio, sent to Delco in NY ...
    gbright is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 DeVille

Installing new Kenwood AM/FM/Sat in 04 DeVille

Start of problem: the radio would not turn on...not premium system...no OnStar anymore.

Removed radio, sent to Delco in NY (no Delco service center in Atlanta--anymore).

Radio came back, "no trouble. Code in radio, lost communication with PCM."

Trip to dealer

, worked 4 hours, charged for 2. Result, "Data line from radio shorted, problem is either in climate control module

or PCM. Have to remove dash, remove modules, replace bad module. Cost $300 to $700, plus labor." Ouch...need brakes and tires at 66,000 miles...do that first...just can't see $700 + for radio.

Decision, since this is just a $10,000 car and we keep 'em forever, put in after market radio. Just happen to have nice Kenwood purchased for another project that didn't happen. Ordered kit for dash and satellite module for Kenwood.

Kit arrived for dash mounting, fits right in, looks good. Find wire color codes and proceed to hook up radio using factory plug adapter from Scoshe. No sound and no switched 12 volts--anywhere. Hook up external speakers to radio--have sound.

Since the data line is not working, amp must not be able to turn on...even putting 12 v directly on "amp on" blue-white wire.

Today (after 10 hours of work over the weekend) am going to try to manually turn amp on at amp...but am guessing without data line...no go.

Since all speaker wires are at amp, will just run new wires from new radio to speaker wires at amp...and then we will have "tunes."

What I have learned: 1) when all works (radio checks PCM for VIN number) and radio turns on...it is all great. 2) when there is a "lack of communication," nothing works. 3) when nothing works, manual wiring is just great.

After orange juice and 3 cups of coffee...I am "out there" to see what I can turn on today.

Cheers,

OJC (Orange Juice Charlie)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Re: Installing new Kenwood AM/FM/Sat in 04 DeVille

Actually for your car the radio reads the VIN from the DIM located under the right side of the dash board. Find the problem with the data line and you have a working audio system. Start with the codes...
    There is no amp on wire to the amp, is all controlled trough the data line.

Thanks for the info...I misquoted the dealer info...the data line from the radio to the DIM is "not communicating." I was told this line first goes to the climate control and then to the DIM. The dealer said, "We have to remove the dash top, and then replace the modules one at time until we find where the loss occurs. The cost of the climate control (which works fine) is over $300 while the DIM is over $700, plus the labor.

When the codes were read, there were no faults, except in the radio itself (read at Delcom), which yielded, "Loss of communication." The dealer said the line is shorted in one of the two modules.

I was guessing the amp turn on was controlled by the missing data line communication. Am going to look at the amp tomorrow and see if I can wire from the Kenwood radio to the speakers where they connect to the amp.

Thanks! and Take care today, Charlie

Charlie, if they told you that the dash top has to be removed then find another dealer. The wire goes from HU to climate control module (1 foot long) and is accessible by removing the HU (in Deville is 1o minutes), then the wire goes to the DIM located in the far right corner of the dash under the glove compartment accessible by removing the passenger kick panel (about 15 minutes work). You have a opening in the the network, find yourself a diagram with the data line for your car and diagnose the problem alone.
    What U codes do you have? This helps allot pinpointing the issue once you look to the diagram.

Thanks N*Caddy for your great clues. I have figured out (lately), I need another dealer...took me a while to determine they are NOT up to speed.

Understand the locations. Any chance you know what color wire goes from the HU to the climate control and on to the DIM?

Dealer said there was a short in the data line...but I am wondering if it is an open? Also wondering if I can by pass the climate control?

I have learned Buicks of same year don't use this data line.

Found the amp behind the back seat. Has 12 v on it, but will not turn on when feed audio to the input side.

Many thanks, Charlie

All data lines in your car are violet, but you NEVER go by wire color, use the pin numbers.

Thanks. I had figured out the violet were data by the low varying dc voltage on them. I get my HP Scope out and look at the data lines. They appear to be active which contradicts the dealer's statement, that the data line was shorted somewhere.

Take care, Charlie

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.