98 Deville OEM HU Re-install Question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, 98 Deville OEM HU Re-install Question in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; My car is a 98 Deville. I removed the OEM HU AM/AF/Cassette made by Delco. I installed a 98 Deville ...
    Papas-Attic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

98 Deville OEM HU Re-install Question

My car is a 98 Deville. I removed the OEM HU AM/AF/Cassette made by Delco. I installed a 98 Deville OEM AM/FM/Cassette/CD (Delco), had it unlocked by the dealer. No Sound. If I re-install the original AM/FM/Cassette, will it have to be unlocked by the dealer again? Each visit is $47.50. I am going to install a 12 disk remote in the trunk (oem). All I wanted to to have CD.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Re: 98 Deville OEM HU Re-install Question

NO, the original HU once is locked for your car will work in that car even if is removed for 20 years.
    Here is how it works:
    The HU has a small permanent memory reserved for the VIN of the car is installed in. When the firmware is installed in the HU from factory, this memory is empty. In the starting sequence the firmware reads the VIN from the PCM (or DIM for the '98+ Sevilles and '00+ Devilles). If after reading the VIN from the car network the HU VIN memory is empty, the VIN will be permanently stored in this memory and HU will continue with the starting sequence. If the HU VIN memory is not empty then the firmware compares the VIN form PCM (or DIM) with the one in the HU memory. If the two numbers match then it will continue with the starting sequence, if not then it will post a message ("THEFT LOCK ENABLED" for BOSE units or "LOCK" for base units) and issue a code on the car data bus. The IPC will receive this error code and may post the message "Theftlock enabled car may not restart".
    When you go to the dealer (actually you went to unlock the other HU) they connect with the TechII tool to the car data bus (thus to the HU) and send a special command to the HU to erase the VIN from his memory. At this moment the HU will restart and since his VIN memory is empty will read and store the VIN from the car is currently installed in.
    Hope I was clear enough, is not very complicated concept.
    Any how as a conclusion at this moment you own 2 HU with your car's VIN in memory. So you can use at any moment time any of them, just that the BOSE unit can not be used (sound wise) unless you convert the whole car to BOSE.

Papas-Attic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

Re: 98 Deville OEM HU Re-install Question

Sir, your knowledge has been a true blessing for me. I truly thank you for taking the time to reply. God Bless you and yours.

Papa

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.