1997 deville upgrade from cassette to cd
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, 1997 deville upgrade from cassette to cd in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I would like to swap out the head unit in my 97 deville to one that has a cd player. ...
    satdog75 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Deville

1997 deville upgrade from cassette to cd

I would like to swap out the head unit in my 97 deville to one that has a cd player. mine is standard am fm cassette with NO cd changer. I have an intermittent short in my factory unit but want to keep steering wheel controls, etc so.......can i get a cd player head unit from salvage (factory), and just swap it out? if not, what options to I have?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Re: 1997 deville upgrade from cassette to cd

If your sound system is BOSE is a direct replacement. But keep in mind the CD units are only available after '98 (there was no In-Dash CD in '97) and the '98 units are theftlocked. It is not a issue, '97 cars can support this feature but you will have to take the HU (once installed in the car) to the dealer to clean up the VIN (or as is popularly called "unlock it").
    If your system is not BOSE then it is still possible, but it is EXTREMELY complicated (you will have to convert the car to BOSE - change all speakers, add 2 extra speakers, add one extra module called RIM, completely rewire the sound system in the car, add 2 relays and one extra fuse).
    Regardless if you have BOSE or not you can always add one 12 Disk OEM CD Changer (goes in the trunk). The car is already prewired for it, is a plug an play thing (the cost is less than $100 just look on e-Bay).

TexasGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Deville 97

Can you post URLs to a few auctions? I don't want to buy a wrong thing... Please...

Anyway to get MP3s to play through some AUX port?

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

First and foremost DO YOU HAVE BOSE?
    You can tell based on the small white logo in the bottom left corner of the screen. If it says BOSE with bold italic letters then you have BOSE and you can indeed update to a '98-'00 InDash CD BOSE HU.

If you don't have the BOSE logo then you can't upgrade. I mean you could (I did it) but requires replacing every single module from your sound system (except the CD changer and the steering wheel controls), including all the speakers and the entire audio harness. Took me about 1 year to find all the parts and manufacture the harness, about 1 day (or less) to put all the stuff in.

See my previous post about the additional cost involved for the Theftlock feature that '98+ HU have.
    If you don't have BOSE then your best option is to add a OEM 12 Disk CD changer (less than $70 on e-Bay).

Here is the CD changer you need (ignore the price, should be 3 times less). But observe the magazine (you need that or is $40 at the dealer), and you also need the mounting stand/bracket thing. This unit does not have the correct stand for Cadillac.

In this auction is a '96-'97 (ONLY) Seville/Deville/Eldorado Base stereo (the price is about twice the market price by the way).
    In this auction is a 96-97 (ONLY) Seville/Deville/Eldorado BOSE stereo. Compare it with the previous one, apparently are the same but notice the extra 2 buttons under the 3-4 and 5-6 buttons (DSP OFF and +Level-) plus the BOSE logo. They may look the same (mechanically are the same, they mount the same) but inside could not be more different, they are NOT compatible by many many miles. Again the price is ridiculous, the owner asks about 5 times the normal price.
    In this auction is a '98-'00 Seville/Deville/Eldorado BOSE InDash CD unit. This unit is 100% compatible with the previous one. Notice the Teftlock logo on the right side of the screen. That's how you tell is a '98+ unit (well that and the obvious CD slot not available between '96 and '97). Also notice the yellow RDS logo in the bottom right corner of the unit (next to the RDS yellow rectangle button).That's what tells you the unit is pre '01, after '01 the RDS logo is in the diagonally opposite corner. The price for this last auction is true for the shape of the unit, $40 is a MINT MINT one.

Notice how I did not mentioned anything about Catera, stay away from those units, they look IDENTICAL but are not compatible, make sure is not Catera before purchasing. I am afraid you will endup buing the wrong unit as they look absolutely identical but inside could not be more diffrent. Also the adds are wrong, most of the people don't know what they sell, I would say about 40% are wrong (years and models), you really need to know what you need to buy.
    Better post a picture of your HU so I can tell exactly what you have, and then we go from there.

Here is the CD changer you need (ignore the price, should be 3 times less). But observe the magazine (you need that or is $40 at the dealer), and you also need the mounting stand/bracket thing. This unit does not have the correct stand for Cadillac. The bracket/stand is available new at your GM dealer for less than $20 (so no big deal).

AUX input I have solution for both base and BOSE cars. See the threads I posted about this subject.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.