Radio turns off after 5 seconds - 2000 STS, Bose, CD/Cassette
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, Radio turns off after 5 seconds - 2000 STS, Bose, CD/Cassette in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Driving down the road the other day, my stereo turned off. I hit the power button several times but it ...
    matt2001 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 STS, 152k miles

Exclamation Radio turns off after 5 seconds - 2000 STS, Bose, CD/Cassette

Driving down the road the other day, my stereo turned off. I hit the power button several times but it won't turn back on.

The next day, I start up the car and hit the power button. It turns on, but only lasts about 5 seconds and turns off. The time display is still there, so it's not completely losing power. The radio just turns off.

The only other thing i've noticed is that my passenger front door speaker sometimes sounds like it's blown. I thought it was blown, but then every once in a while it'll go back and sound normal.

Could this be the bose amplifier causing this, or do I have a headunit problem? Is there any way to get either tested before I so spend a crapload on parts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Bimmster20 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 STS Sable Black

Re: Radio turns off after 5 seconds - 2000 STS, Bose, CD/Cassette

Matt,

Did you ever find out what was going on with your radio? I'm curious, since it just started on my 2000 STS today as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tonkin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96 Concours, 2002 DHS, 2004 SRX

See my post below.. I have an amp coming and will let you know if the amp will fix it. From my searches on the net it looks like the amplifier will cause the radio to turn off after a few seconds, or fail to turn on at all. Clock will still work but may blink, dim if the amp is drawing current due to a failed component. The Radio head unit and amp have to talk to each other through the serial ports and if one fails both units will not work. The good news is that the amp can be bought from E-bay at LKQ online for about $43.71 and $15 shipping. The head unit runs about the same. Looks like 90% of the time it is the amp that fails. (IMO) Will update post after part shows up in 5 days. Buying both parts is still cheaper then paying dealer to use tech II to try and figure out which one is failing! Don't ask what they charge for parts.

Bimmster20 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 STS Sable Black

When I checked codes U1129 showed up (HU not communicating with AMP). I figured at the minimum I was looking at a used amp or head unit, and possibly wiring. Just to cover my backside I removed the neg battery cable for about 15 minutes. When I reconnected the cable and started the car I received the Theftlock message. My first thought was that I was dealership bound, but after turning off the car and restarting, all was well. At this point I've spent exactly nil.

We'll see how long it lasts, but so far so good. I drove a couple of hundred miles today and did a lot of stops, so the car was shut off and turned on quite a bit.

If you haven't tried disconnecting the battery yet, you might want to give it a shot before you tear into anything else.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.