First post, need expert stereo people before I make expensive mistake!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, First post, need expert stereo people before I make expensive mistake! in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hello, I am new to this forum (been lurking for a bout a month or so), but I'm on my ...
    Bucketokarma is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Seville Touring Sedan

First post, need expert stereo people before I make expensive mistake!

Hello, I am new to this forum (been lurking for a bout a month or so), but I'm on my third Seville STS. My first caddy (and second car) was a 94 white diamond STS (tons of time and money into that one). My second cadillac was a 93 black STS (didn't care for/about it as much, had it for about one year before getting rid of it). Now I'm in a 2002 White Diamond STS (just picked it up about three weeks ago) WOOT!.... (I'll elaborate more when I post my intro and have time to create my profile)

Anyhow, I don't use CDs or tapes at all anymore (don't even own any anymore), and use my ipod for everything, also, since I'm in CT cellphones are banned while driving. I have been wanting to;
    1: Get rid of my console CD changer
    2: find a double din HU
    3: use my ipod without having to use a fm transmitter
    4: get something with bluetooth for my iphone
    5: dvd player
    6: sat radio
    7: stop having to use the tacky windshield sticky garmin for gps nav

I'm sick of having cords and wires all over for my ipod, iphone, and gps. On top of it all, I don't have an outlet when I need to charge/use something else because both are already being used by my ipod and gps...

I have found two double din solutions to all my woes, but they are expensive and therefore I do not want to make the purchase and then fine out that I can't get them to work with the stock Bose system!

The two units I'm looking at are found here
    kenwoodusa dot com/CompareProducts/?Models=DNX9960,DNX7160

The two models I'm looking at are essentially the same, but one has more items that I would like, however, if the extra items don't work, I don't want to spend the extra money.

They are the Kenwood DNX9960, and DNX7160
    I would prefer to get the 9960, but if the extra features are not compatible, I'll also gladly 7160.

Every stereo instal place I have been to says that there is no kit for double din, the gm/bose harness will only work with certain head units and with limited function at that. So before I go out and waste a grand on just my head unit, I want to make sure that it can be done with the stock stereo set-up and still retain all the functions that I'm looking for.

I have read on this forum that there is a 2-din fitment kit that doesn't mess with all the hvac settings or something. I have also read that there have been some problems with the wiring harness creating pops, battery issues, lack of function, no chimes, compatibility issues with the amp and speakers (with certain HUs) as well as a few other irritations.

So here are my questions relevant to this forum board:
    1: Will all the features I'm looking for work with these units?
    2: Will these units fit/work at all?
    3: Do I have to lose chimes?
    4: Will the steering controls work/compatible with these units (they say that they work with steering control, but I'm not sure if Caddy has different wiring than what Kenwood is compatible with)?
    5: Will I lose any audio quality/volume?

I'm no good with electronic components, so I know these might be the biggest newb questions out there, but I have tried doing my research, and was wondering on these things before making a substantial purchase only to have none of the features I want to work...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Re: First post, need expert stereo people before I make expensive mistake!

You want navigation, AUX in and DVD the just swap your unit with an OEM Navigation unit (some re-wiring is required and is posted in hundreds of threads here).
    Trust me on this nobody installed a fully functional no compromise aftermarket sound system, they may say is perfect, works way better than the “crappy” BOSE but then you find out some don’t have chimes, some have and work “great” just that once every 10 times or so is faded, then you loose your driver’s memory settings, clock, DSP, and the list goes on and on and on.
    You can put WHAT ever aftermarket you want, I can’t say is will not outperform the OEM in features but you give some to get some. For limited budget you can get hard-wired AUX input even in your current HU without removing the CD changer or anything, I have posted so many times.
    No aftermarket stereo in this galaxy is even remotely compatible with your car; the only thing they have in common is the 12V DC, period. Those adapters or harnesses you hear about are NOTHING but a male connector with some wires attached matching the 32-pin car connector.

Bucketokarma is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Seville Touring Sedan

Well, dang... that saddens me.

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 126k

No aftermarket HU will be able to run the stock Bose stereo in a 2002, if you want a new HU you have to replace all of the speakers too....

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

WRONG there are two interfaces which will allow you to keep the stock bose but both have their own faults a pac unit which escapes me and the metra GMOS-06. IMHO stock nav would be the best choice to encounter zero problems but an aftermarket set up can be installed and work fine with some minor sacrifices.

There's no way those speakers can handle the added power of an aftermarket HU, or does it not use it and use the original RIM instead for power? The front speakers could not handle the power of my Alpine-CDA9857, especially the tweeters, the rears sounded alright. And that thing Bose calls a subwoofer on the rear deck....please

* THE GMOS-06 INTERFACE IS DESIGNED TO ALLOW RHE USER TO REPLACE THE OEM RADIO WITH AN AFTER MARKET UNIT IN NON-AMPLIFIED GM VEHICLES AND RETAIN FULL FUNCTIONALITY OF THE ONSTAR SYSTEMS AS WELL AS ALL SAFTEY AND WARNING CHIMES THE GMOS-06 WILL ALSO RETAIN THE RETAINED ACCESSORY POWER CONVENIENCE FEATURES. THIS INTERFACE HAS THE CAPABILITY OF ADJUSTING CHIME AND ONSTARVOLUMES AS WELL. IN ADDITION TO THESE FEATURES THE GMOS-06 NOW HAS THE REQUIRD OUTPUTS FO THE INSTALLATION OF A NAVIGATION RADIO

Straight from Metra site, will NOT work for Bose

W R O N G
    I dont care what Metra says, the site is wrong the GMOS-06 was designed for Bose equiped cars and I had one for testing purposes which worked fine in my old 03 STS.

Heres a cut from Metras Install guide

GMOS Interface GMOS-06
    New and improved. The GMOS-06 interface is designed to allow
    the user to replace the OEM radio with an aftermarket unit in
    amplified Cadillacs
    and retain full functionality of the OnStar
    system as well as all safety and warning chimes. The GMOS-06
    will also retain the retained accessory power convenience
    features. This interface has the capability of adjusting chime
    and OnStar volumes as well. In addition to these features, the
    GMOS-06 now has the required outputs for the installation of a
    navigation radio.
    • For 1997-2001 Cadillac Catera and 1999-2005 Deville, Eldorado
    and Seville
    • Retains OnStar with adjustable volume output
    • Retains chimes with adjustable level output
    • Retains RAP feature
    • Navigation outputs now included, except
    1997-2001 Cadillac Catera
    • USB update interface compatible

http://www.metraonline.com/catalogs/interfaces.pdf

And crutchfield

Metra's GMOS-06 radio replacement adapter lets you replace the factory radio in select 1996-05 Cadillac vehicles with premium or Bose® audio systems, while retaining use of OnStar, all factory warning chimes, and audible turn signal indicators. The adapter includes navigation outputs, so you can install an in-dash navigation receiver. Warranty: 1 year.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120GMOS...r.html?tp=3486

Still won't help the fact that those speakers will not except the 50-60w 4Ohm load

I guess its great that the GMOS-06 takes the sound leads from the pre amp rcas on the back of the head unit just like the stock headunit huh? Again making it perfect for the install.
    Not a fan of an aftermarket sound system in Cadillacs due to the complexity however I wont deter someone else from doing it with poor advice.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.