SIR-GM1 adding to non XM Nav 2002 DTS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, SIR-GM1 adding to non XM Nav 2002 DTS in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Having reviewed all the posts that I could find about the SIR-GM1 and adding it to caddys I decided that ...
    Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Exclamation SIR-GM1 adding to non XM Nav 2002 DTS

Having reviewed all the posts that I could find about the SIR-GM1 and adding it to caddys I decided that since none of them really fit what I am trying to do and most were at least 2 years old or more a new topic made the most sense.

I have an 02 Deville DTS with factory Bose Denso Nav system. (manufactured January 2002) - so an early model? perhaps old software in use???
    I have the AUX input cable made by Jason (CadillacSTS2003) already in use.
    I have (from what I've read) the 2nd generation Denso system part number 25743430, this is also one of the units that could use the file from the software disk that was floating around here a few days/weeks ago however that doesn't seem to be available anymore.

Anyways what I am getting at here is that I have purchased a new SIR-GM1 for $30 on ebay knowing that it may or may not work in my car but I took the risk.

I have followed the wiring pin-outs that were posted in these other threads and have been failing miserably at getting this to work in my car.

One topic was a user that has an 02 seville that once the SIR-GM1 was hooked up properly the FM 1 and FM 2 band buttons became FM1/2 and XM1/2 and his car never had XM from the factory.

My owner's manual mentions XM as an option for the car but mine did not have it. I checked behind the carpet in the trunk on the drivers side where the factory XM module would be located hoping that maybe the wiring was there and I could just use it. NO luck there.

I then looked at 2 options replacing 6 CD changer with Sirius or having both hooked up using the T harness cable that came with the SIR-GM1 with some modifications to allow for hook up of both.

Using a paperclip I popped the pins out of the factory CD changer 10pin plug and popped the pins out of the 12 pin plug for the direct replacement of XM unit and made it the new plug for the factory wiring. Running audio left and right and remote audio and bare wire and power and ground and class 2 data.
    On the other end of the T harness I removed the pins from the 12 pin plug and re-used the factory 10pin CD changer plug matching the factory wiring with splits on all 7 of the cables used to run into the changer and into the SIR-GM1.

So factory CD changer works perfectly still and SIR-GM1 is apparently getting power (it does get warm after a few mins---not hot just warm).
    However it does not show up under any sources in the nav unit.

I have tried with only the SIR-GM1 and no CD changer attached, I just get CDX Error and nothing extra in BAND.

I only see the following

BAND -
    AM
    FM1 - has RDS on can view PTY for different music genres
    FM2 - has RDS on can view PTY for different music genres
    WX - 7 channel weather band, channel 6 still comes in with weather

CD -
    CDX - 6 disc
    Internal CD

DVD -
    AUX/VD - currently iPod or Sirius Audiovox external tuner
    DVD

From what I read I should see
    BAND -
    AM
    FM1/2
    XM1/2
    WX

So is there any chance that the software disc that is out there would allow me to use the Sirius SIR-GM1 tuner? I ask this because the disc is used on several generations of the unit and I don't see the software version 3.10 5 anywhere in my system... assuming it is something that can be looked up... this is all I can find on my unit.

Or should this be working and the SIR-GM1 that I purchased is just defective?
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

chad1121zz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4, 2000 Seville SLS

Re: SIR-GM1 adding to non XM Nav 2002 DTS

I am kind of in the same boat... I have a 2000 seville, but have a 2002+ nav hu, when i tried to install xm with xm direct and gm adapter as shown in other posts, my nav did not recognize anything. I know that 2000 did not have class 2 data at the changer plug, i ran a wire to the class 2 purple wire on back of the nav unit. What could I be missing?

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Re: SIR-GM1 adding to non XM Nav 2002 DTS

I wish I knew the answer for you. I still haven't been able to work anything out in my system. The external tuner is just a pain in the rear and I am canceling the sat radio subscription until I can actually install the tuner, if that ever happens.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.