'02 Deville radio whirring sound, B1327
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, '02 Deville radio whirring sound, B1327 in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Was curious if anybody has ever run across this. A few weeks ago, wife complained of radio inoperable, making whirring ...
    hangman420 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

'02 Deville radio whirring sound, B1327

Was curious if anybody has ever run across this. A few weeks ago, wife complained of radio inoperable, making whirring sound as if trying to eject a cassette. I somehow got the tape to eject, but noise continued, I then assumed it was CD eject motor. Pulled codes, can't remember them exactly, but there was an IPM amp code, and eventually ran across one related to system voltage low. Went back out, sure enough it wouldn't start. Charged battery overnight, everything fine next AM, drove to local parts store, 33 month old battery checked bad, alternator checked ok. Replaced battery, everything ok. After a month or so, the car sat for a week while she was on vacation, now whirring sound is back. Starts/runs fine, some of the codes now are:

IPC B1004
    U1300
    U1016
    IPM B0429
    B1004
    MSM B1327
    B1860
    B1875
    PDM B1327
    U1741
    B3832
    RIM B1327
    C0658
    VTD B1327

I've now reset the codes, figure all the computers and such probably ran the battery down without the car being cranked much in a week. I plan to trickle charge it again overnight and hope for the best, but that whirring sound really has me puzzled. Anybody else ever deal with this?

BTW, thanks so much to all on this forum, you've all been so helpful in the past, and I value your time and kind consideration highly.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: '02 Deville radio whirring sound, B1327

Update: after trickle charge overnight, whirring noise stopped and I figured everything was going to be ok. However, the wife said whirring sound returned before she even got out of the driveway; she drove to work and home without incident, other than that pesky whirring. I drove back to O'Reilly, and just like last month battery checked bad, alternator checked ok. They replaced battery under warranty. The difference this time is that, upon connecting the new battery, the whirring sound returned, radio still inoperative. A month ago the repacement battery appeared to take care of everything. At all times when driving, dash indicator shows battery voltage of 14.3 - 14.8 volts. I'd think the issue was resolved if the radio worked.

I sure hope someone has experienced something very similar, 'cause I'm stumped!

The plot thickens.

Yesterday evening I put the battery on 8 amp charge for several hours. It took a while, but the guage on the charger eventually crept down to 0. Radio still acting up. Switched to 2 amp trickle charge overnight. When she got home today, I again set on 8 amp charge, this time the guage returned to 0 in about 30 minutes. Switched to 2 amp just for good measure. It's been a few hours now, and no whirring noise, radio works. Although things seem to be looking up after all the charging, I suspect if the car were started and run for a bit, the radio would probably again conk out.

Could I be getting that many bad batteries in a row? Or, could it be that they're not sufficiently charged before purchase? The store puts them on a charger before they leave the store, but I wonder if the fast charge they get isn't deep enough.

Domino1968 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DTS

As you have seen first hand, low batteries can bring up all kinds of electrical demons in our Cadillacs. Letting a Caddy sit for bout a week with no activity will surely bring the battery down especially if it is not a heavy duty (read expensive) battery or if it is one of the AZ/Advance/O'reilly type specials.

Can you get bad batteries in a row you ask. HELL YEAH, been there done that! I had similiar problems as you until I bit the bullet and bought a name brand battery and have not had the problems as before.

Note on charging, I prefer to trickle charge vs. fast charge due to the fact that too much fast charging can shorten a batteries life.

My 2 cents

Thumbs up Re: '02 Deville radio whirring sound, B1327

Domino, thanks for your input. It's been a few months now, and the wife has missed some work due to a bad back. That is to say, the Devie's been sitting again, and the issue has returned. After 48 hours of 2 amp trickle charge, car starts and runs fine, but the darn radio is out again. O'reilly said I could get some money back for the battery, and i intend to take them up on it. Nosing around this forum, I think I'll go with something from Johnson Controls. I've seen strong recommendation for AC Delco, Interstate, and Optima Red Top. My mechanic friend who works for Fed Ex likes Interstate, will probably start there. Thanks again to Domino for taking the time.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.