1999 Deville Aftermarket Stereo installation
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, 1999 Deville Aftermarket Stereo installation in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hi all, After much headache I have found that this is the ONLY way to install a aftermarket stereo (I ...
    bitterrick is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Deville Delegance

1999 Deville Aftermarket Stereo installation

Hi all, After much headache I have found that this is the ONLY way to install a aftermarket stereo (I did a Alpine IDX 305A) to avoid security problems, theft system problems, and "sleep" problems. Started by buying a GMRC-03. That was before I found you guys here. I installed the GMRC as per instructions. First of all, the memory had to be hooked up to a battery constant, because as hooked up through the GMRC power would shut off with the RAP. No big deal. But then about every third time the car shut off, the alarm would go off and the car would go into security mode. SO...I called Metra, and none of their suggestions worked. now I have the rear seat and trunk insulation out. Back to the original problem. After going to the local Cadillac garage, the Local Alpine high end stereo installer, and other online sources, here is what was determined: 1997-1999 Cadillacs MUST have the factory radio hooked up. The databus wiring runs through the radio, and this is the original problem with the car going into sleep mode, and occasional alarm. The computer thinks the radio has been stolen, or the computer sees that the radio is non-powered and thinks the battery is weak, and goes into sleep mode. Many people buy a harness made for this purpose. I went to the salvage yard and cut the harness of a wrecked car, tap spliced into the harness on my car, and put the radio in the trunk. What I used was a 20 foot piece of 4-strand trailer wire, and connected the (Orange) power wire, the (Black) ground wire, and the two (purple) databus wires (must go to the same place they were). If you like, I can get you the pin assignment on the factory harness connecters for each wire. The Cadillac garage suggested using a chassis ground for the Alpine, as the computer could get random resistance from the radio and trigger problems. I ran a constant power directly to the battery, and the Accesory to the acc relay in the engine bay. Don't forget your fuses!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jpix is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): deville

Re: 1999 Deville Aftermarket Stereo installation

So, after you extend the wire from the original dash area to the trunk, you then hook up the original radio there. Then do you run the 4 strand wire back to the dash area and hook it to the newly installed radio?

Twiggr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

yup...at least thats what i can determine with the project im working on...99 eldorado and aftermarket HU install. From what i can come with...the GMRC-03 wont be a fix all to the sleep mode because what the previous post said about the data wires runnin directly into radio. I believe if u buy a gm03rb plug and wire it to connect the orange, ground and violet wires to the correct pin locations in the dash...everything will be ok after u wire the aftermarket one in. I also believe if i wire in the front left speakers from the trunk to the front harness as well....i will retain chimes....but not 100% sure yet.
    I bought the GM03rb plug and wired the 4 wires and ran them to the correct pin locations o a cheap cadillac harness bought on ebay that had the basic power and speakers wires pre-installed...which plugged directly to the factory harness. My next operation is to splice in the switched power wire from the aftermarket radio to the power window wire...which i believe is pink...and the aftermarket should retain memory..& turn on/off with the key and the car should work just like it did with stock.

wm30 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Deville

hi all I recently had a pioneer bluetooth cd player DEH=7300BT installed and now the nightmare has began for me. The CD player sounds great but the next day the key fob didnt work so I manually unlocked my car door with the key and noticed the interior lights were not on. so I put the key in the ignition turn and the alarm activates so I hit the unlock button on the key fob which now seems to work and it deactivates the alarm. I went back to the audio installers and told them I saw where you guys used a GM06 wiring harness and it would fix the problem they told me they tried but it would not work because of Amps or something and said the stereo has nothing to do with the security system. I trust u guys more that the installers please can you help me? the installer used a GM-K260 for 96-99 harness also I cant upload a profile pic lol help me guys

eldorado_97 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 STS, W/Nav

Quote Originally Posted by wm30 View Post
    GM06 wiring harness and it would fix the problem they told me they tried but it would not work because of Amps or something and said the stereo has nothing to do with the security system.
    those people at that shop are complete dumbasses im sorry to say but no a GMOS6 will work JUST FINE I had one previously installed in my car and it worked fine but my favorite way and the best way for the car is to relocate the radio into the trunk and then just add the new radio into the car and the aftermarket radio can work with the stock amps "bose or non bose" oh AND the radio has everything to do with the security system it in fact is part of the security system itself

CycoMike is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 El Dorado

Hello, I just found this thread after experiencing...you guessed it... problems with the security system after installing an aftermarket stereo. I'm curious whether you had any success in a wiring solution that did not involve running 4 wires to the trunk where the old stereo had been relocated / re-installed. Any advice greatly appreciated. I'm currently disconnecting the negative terminal of my battery every 3-4 attempts to unlock the car with the key fob...

Mike in Texas

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

None of these issues would exist if the original HU was left alone, if no wires were cut is never too late to go back to original, if wires were cut, well is still possible just more work.

Debbyj is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 seville sts

Hello all, We just bought a 99 sts, beautiful car. The stereo said anti-theft- locked so we took it to a cad dealer. After an hour and a half and $106 later nothing changed. They said the stereo isn't the original. We took it home and discovered the wiring harness had been cut off, some wires were spliced. we tried changing it to an alpine deck bypassing everything and as you can imagine now the car starts and stops and that is about all. The air conditioner, all gauges, all power windows and door locks, basically everything has quit. I need the pin wiring codes and colors for the head unit to try to put it back to original. I contacted Bose and they said it's not a Bose stereo just speakers and amps so they were not helpful.. Can anyone help?? Cadillac has to be the worlds best kept secret!!

The secret was broken...

I appreciate you try to put it back to OEM, this is how it should be, I hate to see Chinese crap in Cadillacs.

94 sedan base is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 94 Deville 01 DTS

N*Caddy,you wouldn't have the pin wiring codes for a 2001 Dts with the cd based navigation? Previous owner did the same to my car, and i need to replace the plug.

Debbyj is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 seville sts

Thank you for the wiring codes for the 32 pin harness. Everything seems to work for the most part after we put the amp back in and ran the wires back to the hu. An issue now is the gas pedal sticking down. Makes it hard to stop!!

buzarr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Deville, 07 DTS

Hey Guys, my 99 Deville tape deck has finally crapped out, i knew about this big ordeal about the after market head units which were not recommended in these cars to replace that's why i held on for 12 years until now...I had a Pioneer AVH-P2400bt HU installed..the shop said all i would need was a GMRC-3 harness, installation went sweet but now after 1 hour all my setting go back to default..Do i really need to install the factory HU in the trunk or can i switch the harness to a GMOS6 and just hook the right wires up for Sleep Mode and the Data- Bus to work properly...Just to let you all know, my stereo is not a BOSE..thanks

Hey Guys, my 99 Deville tape deck has finally crapped out, i knew about this big ordeal about the after market head units which were not recommended in these cars to replace that's why i held on for 12 years until now...I had a Pioneer AVH-P2400bt HU installed..the shop said all i would need was a GMRC-3 harness, installation went sweet but now after the car is shut off for about 1 hour all my setting go back to default..Do i really need to install the factory HU in the trunk or can i switch the harness to a GMOS6 and just hook the right wires up for Sleep Mode and the Data- Bus to work properly...Just to let you all know, my stereo is not a BOSE..thanks

Installing the OEM HU won't get your sleep mode issue solved, the HU does not handle that, is the RIM.
    You missed to run the "memory" wire (hot all times) to your aftermarket thing.

If the OEM radio in the trunk is hooked up and tapped in to the factory harness so you wont get "Sleep Mode" then the After Market HU should retain memory at all times,.right..? I

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.