replace stock battery with Optima yellow top?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, replace stock battery with Optima yellow top? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hey everybody i'm bout to replace the factory speakers and head unit in my 94 Seville SLS and i'm going ...
    queensbridge41 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

replace stock battery with Optima yellow top?

Hey everybody i'm bout to replace the factory speakers and head unit in my 94 Seville SLS and i'm going to power it with a Kicker 800.4 100 watt times 4 channel amp...Do u guys think I'll need to get like an Optima Yellow top to handle this or will the stock one be ok cause i'm on a budget? any help would be great thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: replace stock battery with Optima yellow top?

Quote Originally Posted by queensbridge41
    Hey everybody i'm bout to replace the factory speakers and head unit in my 94 Seville SLS and i'm going to power it with a Kicker 800.4 100 watt times 4 channel amp...Do u guys think I'll need to get like an Optima Yellow top to handle this or will the stock one be ok cause i'm on a budget? any help would be great thanks!
    I would suggest that the Optima IS probably the best battery out there but do you NEED it? No, so it's up to you. Check think link for some info:
    http://www.optimabatteries.com/using...ionsYellow.asp

banstyle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Here's the deal. The question is, "Do you want to listen to your stereo with your car not running?"

If the answer to that is 'yes' then get a deep cycle battery. Hook this up to a relay, hook the relay to your ignition rail, and your set. Battery charges when your on, and your amp has a buttload of power when not.

If the answer is 'not really', then you don't need a deep cycle at all. The most you'll need is a 'tank circuit'.. basically an inline capacitor that sucks up juice and spits it out when needed. This will be more than adequate to handle any load the speaker will put on your system.

There are some good car audio sites out there that talk about this stuff. Google 'tank circuit', and I'm sure you'll come up with good results.

Good luck!

SoundAdvantage is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 87 Deville

You would be $money$ ahead if you installed a 1 or 2 Farad Digital Capacitor >"IF" You have voltage problems, as long as your battery and alternator are in good working condition you should be ok with the stock system. One way to find out is to turn your system on >With the engine running, put a volt meter on your amp to see what kind of voltage you are getting back to the amp. Running a high powered amplifier without the engine running on a "stock" charging system is Not a good idea and will eventually cause damage to your alternator.

catbert is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Split the difference between the yellow top and stock - get a red top. They handle anything reasonable and will save you 40-50 bucks most places. I've had three of them on different cars.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.