Cadillac Owners Forum banner
288K views 182 replies 124 participants last post by  Cadillacjask07 
#1 ·
:cowboy: Howdy friends!

Just picked up my new CTS last night. This thing is
fully loaded and beautifiul! The DVD Nav / Computer is,
naturally, the coolest part... And when I discovered it
ALSO plays DVDs, I thought I was in heaven!

You see, the only way I can get my wife to quiet down
for a long road trip is to stick a movie in front of her.
She's like a kid. Anything more than 30 minutes and
she starts bitching.

Anyway, I discovered quickly that you can only play
movies when the transmission is in "PARK". Bummer.

However, I completely understand Cadillac's thinking
on this. It's a no-brainer. ("LOCAL MAN FLIES-OFF
BRIDGE WHILE WATCHING MATRIX DVD - GMC SUED" ...etc)

But for us RESPONSIBLE drivers, there HAS to be a 'trick'
to overriding the system. I'd like to avoid buying a
portable DVD player if possible.

Is there a way to allow your passenger to watch DVDs
while the cars moving?

C'mon you hackers! Whaddya got? :worship:

See less See more
#30 ·
I just got an 04 DTS and I hate the fact that the GPS ignores me (and the wife too) as soon as the car moves. This is not the same risk as watching a movie. The many voice commands (I love them) including GPS - do work at all times. Except that none of them let you change where you’re going. Any fixes out there? It could very well be that the same fix applies to both DVD and GPS.

#33 ·
OK Fellow Caddiers, over in the SRX Forum, we've got the "crack"--IF your NAV system is a Denso like ours is. (yours might not be)

Push & hold the musical note for at least 3 seconds to get to the "code" screen. Enter 1791 and hit ENTER. Now, if you remove your NAV DVD and insert a DVD movie, it'll play all the way to TIMBUCKTOO! Remember, though, this is ILLEGAL!

Now we're working on a way to use all the route menu while moving. By the way, the "cut-out" is NOT wires, it's part of the speed sensor system.

Come on over to our forum to sign up for the # volunteering! We need all the help we can get. :welcome:

#39 ·
great now I have to deal with shitty drivers WATCHING MOVIES. :banghead: Why must you endanger everyone on the road for your entertainment? I don't care how good of a driver you THINK you are knock this shit off :rolleyes2

#44 ·
In the CTS, up to model year 2004, you can watch video DVDs while in motion. There is a bypass for this on the internet, but you have to activate it after every ignition cycle.
For model year 2005 there is no bypass.
The navigatio unit uses the Class2 data bus to receive and send information. One message on the Class2 bus PRNDL status. When the BCM or ECM sends a "Park" message it is picked up by the nav unit and processed internaly alowing video DVD playback.
As soon as the vehicle goes into Reverse, Neutral or Drive the BCM or ECM sends the appropriate message over the Class2 bus and the nav unit stops video DVD playback, althou on some model you still get DVD audio.
Can this be bypassed? Yes. Is it worth it? No
You can generate a "Park" message and send it over the Class2 bus, from an authorized address, and filter the "RNDL" message.
You can also disconect the Class2 data bus from the nav unit and generate your own messages to alow the unit to operate but you will miss many things like Temperature, Chimes, BOSE amp control .....

Father Ray said:
:cowboy: Howdy friends!

Just picked up my new CTS last night. This thing is
fully loaded and beautifiul! The DVD Nav / Computer is,
naturally, the coolest part... And when I discovered it
ALSO plays DVDs, I thought I was in heaven!

You see, the only way I can get my wife to quiet down
for a long road trip is to stick a movie in front of her.
She's like a kid. Anything more than 30 minutes and
she starts bitching.

Anyway, I discovered quickly that you can only play
movies when the transmission is in "PARK". Bummer.

However, I completely understand Cadillac's thinking
on this. It's a no-brainer. ("LOCAL MAN FLIES-OFF
BRIDGE WHILE WATCHING MATRIX DVD - GMC SUED" ...etc)

But for us RESPONSIBLE drivers, there HAS to be a 'trick'
to overriding the system. I'd like to avoid buying a
portable DVD player if possible.

Is there a way to allow your passenger to watch DVDs
while the cars moving?

C'mon you hackers! Whaddya got? :worship:

#45 ·
I have an '05 CTS-V and have no problem watching dvd's while the car is in motion. There is a trick to it and you do have to do it everytime, but it sure is great watching on the factory system without any modifications. If anyone would still like to know how let me know.

#46 ·
how about you watch the road instead?

#48 ·
I have a 2003 CTS with Navi. It appears there are 2 different versions of the navigation. The first is CD and the second is DVD. Based on your production date would determine which one you got. 2003 is the first yr for production. The earlier ones got the CD and the later got the DVD. Would the Cd version play DVDs?

#51 ·
I have a 2003 CTS with Navi. It appears there are 2 different versions of the navigation. The first is CD and the second is DVD. Based on your production date would determine which one you got. 2003 is the first yr for production. The earlier ones got the CD and the later got the DVD. Would the Cd version play DVDs? They say that if you have a gray dash with several nav discs then you can't play DVD's? Anyone know if this is the case? Any info at all on this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.