Cadillac Owners Forum banner
288K views 182 replies 124 participants last post by  Cadillacjask07 
#1 ·
:cowboy: Howdy friends!

Just picked up my new CTS last night. This thing is
fully loaded and beautifiul! The DVD Nav / Computer is,
naturally, the coolest part... And when I discovered it
ALSO plays DVDs, I thought I was in heaven!

You see, the only way I can get my wife to quiet down
for a long road trip is to stick a movie in front of her.
She's like a kid. Anything more than 30 minutes and
she starts bitching.

Anyway, I discovered quickly that you can only play
movies when the transmission is in "PARK". Bummer.

However, I completely understand Cadillac's thinking
on this. It's a no-brainer. ("LOCAL MAN FLIES-OFF
BRIDGE WHILE WATCHING MATRIX DVD - GMC SUED" ...etc)

But for us RESPONSIBLE drivers, there HAS to be a 'trick'
to overriding the system. I'd like to avoid buying a
portable DVD player if possible.

Is there a way to allow your passenger to watch DVDs
while the cars moving?

C'mon you hackers! Whaddya got? :worship:

See less See more
#78 ·
monkeypoop said:
Hey if anyone of you want to have DVD Movies play on you nav done the right way without a lot of hasssle, Contact me....I will take care of it for you....

In Las Vegas i can install this for you....otherwise you can do it yourself...it is about a 2 hour job that is fairly easy for a person who has installed a stereo before...
How do we contact you? I am interested in this as I have a 03 escalade with a 05 touchscreen nav and I know that you can open it up and solder some wires in and make it work do you know how to do this?

#81 ·
I am more concerned about using the navigation system and the bluetooth phone system while the vehicle is in motion. Perhaps whatever you are talking about will also do this??

Please let me know if it can, and if it has been tried on a 2006 STS-V8. If you tell me who has it, perhaps I can inquire of them dirtectly.

Thank you,

Harvey

#83 ·
HMorse,

I have an 06 STS as well and am feeling the same frusterations. I have tried to get someone at the dealer to give me the secret override, but they insist there is not one. They fall back to use the voicetags to dial the bluetooth phone while in motion.

Also for nav they claim you can do most anything with voice commands.

I have found that the voice activation works about 1/2 the time, the other 1/2 you get lots of fun suprises....There has to be an override somewhere to allow you to use the systems while in motion!

#85 ·
I went to a place that sells wheels and installs all kinds of car stuff including dvd players and they told me that for $625.00 they could do what they call a navigation conversion and that it would then play dvd movies so I hope thi helps you guys? I think the best idea is putting one in the visor on the passengers side and one in the back of each head rest! :)

#88 ·
I still don't have a fix either, however this mayh be a clue for the more inclined. We install radars in policed cars. The newer units plug into the harness for the computer and this senses the motion of the vehicle thru the speedo. This in turn switches the radar unit from stationary to moving mode. I beleive this is the same thing for the cadillac. As with my STS, I can watch movies and use the phone in drive but as soon as I start to move, the system switches over, when you stop it comes back.

perhaps another location for you hackers to look for.......

#92 ·
Easy fix!! On the right hand side button have e brake on start DVD hold second button from the bottom(maybe 3rd) don't have the V with me right now. simutaniously while holding the right hand side button push seek button lower right side. Let brake off and whalla you should be playing!! buttons may differ on different years, your DVD has to be past the previews and all the way to the movie, if you stop it you will have to proceed with above instruction again.

#93 ·
Has anyone figured out how to activate the controls on the DVD player WHILE IN motion. I like the trick that allows you to play DVD's but it would be better if my wife was able to skip chapters and change discs without having to stop. I have taken the Nav and the gear shift apart but I dont know which wires control the DVD override.

#94 ·
Yes. This a 1st. for me as you know my 02, & 03 and now 05 I re-did them all from top to bottom.

But now me and the wife just got me a new 07 and this baby is fulled up. And my 1st not black. But it have the same thing 8" nav. dvd. but when you go in park it go in OFF!!!! can any one help. I'll pay baby to play. It have a 6 dis. DVD Cg. I will like to keep theat but just stay on when I go out of park. And I will like to add TV's to me heads off this DVD Cg, in the suv/AWD 07 X-Lad. And if you can tell me how to let my back up when out of park ( The back come up To) I will be good untill the P ESV come out for 08 I will get that for the wife and kill the 05. You did!? HELP HELP!!!

#95 ·
alright i am not sure about a 03 cts but on my 02 DTS i have a dvd nav system factory and above the volume control there is a buttom to access your sound adjustments ie. bass trebble and mid well hold that buttonfor like 5-10 seconds and a dealer access menu pops up put in code 1791 then press the enter button and rtn after that play your dvd when you shift out of park the image button on your dvd menu should appear prees it and it should cont playing if it did not already. there is a guy selling this code on ebay for $15 **** that he will " email the code i didnt fall for that:tisk:
:) goodluck

#96 ·
cduncan said:
Easy fix!! On the right hand side button have e brake on start DVD hold second button from the bottom(maybe 3rd) don't have the V with me right now. simutaniously while holding the right hand side button push seek button lower right side. Let brake off and whalla you should be playing!! buttons may differ on different years, your DVD has to be past the previews and all the way to the movie, if you stop it you will have to proceed with above instruction again.

Didn't work on my 06 cts

#97 ·
Anyone figured out a way for the passenger to watch movies or operate the navigation on the front screen while the car is in motion without having to take the system apart?

A similar trick to the holding down of the musical note sure would be great if someone knew of something similar that would work on the 2007 Escalade.

#98 ·
Gregs135 said:
Didn't work on my 06 cts
for the cts you need to have the car in park, hold the second to bottom readio preset button and the forward search cd button for about two or three seconds and then put it in park.....the movie has to already be playin though.....check out cadillacfaq.com do a search and you will find more detailed instructions:thumbsup:

#100 ·
When i push that music symbol button for 10 seconds it just comes up with version numbers for the software and no where you can enter a code in. How can i make this work on my 06 escalade? It has the touchscreen dvd nav and i cannot figure out how i can input the 1791 code.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.