Cadillac Owners Forum banner
288K views 182 replies 124 participants last post by  Cadillacjask07 
#1 ·
:cowboy: Howdy friends!

Just picked up my new CTS last night. This thing is
fully loaded and beautifiul! The DVD Nav / Computer is,
naturally, the coolest part... And when I discovered it
ALSO plays DVDs, I thought I was in heaven!

You see, the only way I can get my wife to quiet down
for a long road trip is to stick a movie in front of her.
She's like a kid. Anything more than 30 minutes and
she starts bitching.

Anyway, I discovered quickly that you can only play
movies when the transmission is in "PARK". Bummer.

However, I completely understand Cadillac's thinking
on this. It's a no-brainer. ("LOCAL MAN FLIES-OFF
BRIDGE WHILE WATCHING MATRIX DVD - GMC SUED" ...etc)

But for us RESPONSIBLE drivers, there HAS to be a 'trick'
to overriding the system. I'd like to avoid buying a
portable DVD player if possible.

Is there a way to allow your passenger to watch DVDs
while the cars moving?

C'mon you hackers! Whaddya got? :worship:

See less See more
#52 ·
Hey if anyone of you want to have DVD Movies play on you nav done the right way without a lot of hasssle, Contact me....I will take care of it for you....

In Las Vegas i can install this for you....otherwise you can do it yourself...it is about a 2 hour job that is fairly easy for a person who has installed a stereo before...

#53 ·
monkeypoop said:
Hey if anyone of you want to have DVD Movies play on you nav done the right way without a lot of hasssle, Contact me....I will take care of it for you....

In Las Vegas i can install this for you....otherwise you can do it yourself...it is about a 2 hour job that is fairly easy for a person who has installed a stereo before...

Have you worked on any 2005 STS yet.......!!!:nono: I havent found anyone yet with any information on the new system...:banghead:

#54 ·
#58 ·
i had a pioneer dvd player in my eldorado and it also had this problem. all i had to do was figure out which wire hooked to the park sensor on the deck. all you have to do is snip the wire and ground it on the deck side. this "fools" the nav unit into thinking it is in park. does this make sense? pm me for any questions

#59 ·
There was a thread a while back on how to do this....It works great, if i remember correctly you play the DVD in park, then you hold down the bottom 2 buttons on the right of the screen as well as the disc change button on the right side, then put the car in drive the DVD should remain playing....If this doesn't work do a search about a year back I got it off one of those threads...good luck

#61 ·
Does anyone know which wire/wires coming off the transmition or the nav can have a switch added to bypass the safety interlock. I know how to press lock the unit and watch DVD's but I want full control. Any ideas?? I have heard that it has something to do with the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) but I do not know which wire it is. Please Help!!

#62 ·
I've got an '02 EXT and I just replaced the stock stereo with a Panasonic N-2 nav/radio. I then replaced the stock 6 cd changer with a Power Acoustics DVD/CD/MP3 player and connected it to the Nav-2 as an input. Now I can watch a movie and have nav going at the same time on the units 6.5" screen. I then replaced the audio controls on the rear of the center console and put outputs there (audio & video) so that I can connect to a portable screen for the rear seat passenger (haven't gotten into other screens yet, but I will) This way, the rear seat passengers can watch or listen to whatever they want (and control it via remote) via the power acoustics player. I can alternately have DVD, Nav or both on my screen at the same time....

Pretty neat setup. It's also hooked to a rear view camera that comes on automatically in reverse.

Hans

#64 · (Edited)
Hi guys, i hope this helps some of you...

I do not have NAV, so i cannot try it out. It is for 2003-2005 CTS and CTS-V.

You already know how to trick the unit into playing a DVD (it has been posted in several forums) , and you also already know that you lose all funtions.. of FF, RW.

According to another poster, not me, as i am just passing this on and take no credit in finding it what so ever.

You can regain FF, and RW by programing, and useing them through the steering wheels preprogramable memmory buttons....

Let me know how you guys make out. :)

#68 ·
kybanker said:
I have an '05 CTS-V and have no problem watching dvd's while the car is in motion. There is a trick to it and you do have to do it everytime, but it sure is great watching on the factory system without any modifications. If anyone would still like to know how let me know.

So... what is the deal with this one?:confused:

#72 ·
The overide is easy. First put the DVD in the slot for the navigation DVD. Next engage the parking brake and let the DVD start to play. Select the play option for the DVD and let it start to play. On the keys on the right side of the display press the second key from the bottom and the CD select forward key simultaneously. Disengage the parking brake and voila it should allow you to drive off and watch your DVD

#74 ·
ok ok. i HAVE to post this! i found a solution to play your DVDs WHILE driving and without needing ANY mod! all you have to do is first - put your car in park...put the movie in. then on the right side (of where the 6 buttons are) put one finger on the 2nd to last button from the bottom and another finger on the seek > button. then tap both of them twice at the sametime - put your car back in drive and your DONE! its FREE, EASY - but it may take you a few times to get it right the first time but i PROMISE you it works. I play jay-z's dvd FADE to black so its a live concert in my car and i bump that shit all over hollywood. it's like a concert on wheels! let me know when you get it workin! remember - anything man made can be man broken!

#75 ·
Wow.....my mom took her Toyota into the dealer and complained about it not playing DVD,s and regular broadcast TV while driving so the mechanic at the dealership drove it to some shop where they installed a switch that 'fools' the system into thinking its in park.

She had it done to her previous model Toyota too (but back then , they disabled it right there at the dealership.....maybe they got into trouble)

#76 ·
Well i can point you in the right direction as i am a professional car audio installer. On front seat dvd packages by law wea re required to ground the dvd to a parking brake so that when the parking brake is engaged you can watch the dvd player but when you take it off it will only dispaly a screen saver or w/e your dvd shows. Now all we do if we wanted to bypass it is to ground that wire anywhere and viola you can watch whole driving. If i had a wire schematic for the dvd/nav system i could probably pinpoint GMs wire they use to ground out. My guess would probably be like on the nuetral start safety switch or transmission because thats most likely where your sensor is to send the out of park signal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.