DVD Nav Override? (I wanna play movies!) - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, DVD Nav Override? (I wanna play movies!) in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Originally Posted by ADulay davesdeville, I may go back in there and start grounding and checking the other three wires. ...
    BigJohnnyC is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thumbs down Re: DVD Nav Override? (I wanna play movies!)

Quote Originally Posted by ADulay
    davesdeville,

I may go back in there and start grounding and checking the other three wires. For the time that I had that night, I was only concerned with the purple one as that was the one I had understood to be the "key" to the functioning of the "Park" module.

AD
    Here's my 2 cents, being a pro audio installer for almost 18 years now...

first, be carefull with arbitrarilly grounding unknown wires! why? Because many circuits in the car are very sensitive and doing this, even once and very quickly, can damage the electronics in the vehicle or at least trigger error codes. Many old techiniques (test lights, dc battery speaker pulsing, etc) are all strictly taboo on todays newer hi-tech cars.

This vehicle, as well as many other makes/models make use of data bus architecture to control many of the components in the car. The components have data addresses and the control modules (ECM, BCM, GEM, etc) send and recieve data from these addressed components. (you can think of the data bus in terms of your home pc's USB devices all connected together, doing their own tasks, but working on one bus).

I feel that your problem will not be some simple fix like grounding out one wire; that works on most aftermarket video systems. There is no single wire directly connected from the DVD to a sensor or micro-switch on the shifter gate. I am guessing that the sensor in the transmission sends its data to the computers, which use that data in controlling fuel system functions, ignition system, speedometer display, etc.. and yes even DVD display on the radio! Disruption of this data going into the computer would probably affect many systems and not just the DVD...

NOW, that said... there STILL may be a way theroretically to do it...
    It would probably require a digital data spoofing device that will plug inline between the radio or dvd unit and the vehicle's harness. It will have to do two things:
    - "LIE" to the onboard computer to give a "status normal" reading back so the computer does not register an error code.
    - "LIE" to the DVD player, never passing a video shutoff code from the computer.
    There are companies that make digital interface devices that allow us to replace OEM radios with aftermarket units in data bus vehicles. It is doubtful, howerver, that any of them would market a product to allow motion video while driving as it is very dangerous and illegal in all 50 states. Plus, think of the legal liabilities that would accompany it (my son was killed in a collision caused by a driver watching a DVD using your bypass unit!)... so don't hold your breath waiting for such a device.

I install aftermarket a/v products for a living and have customers who want video interlocks to be bypassed on units within the drivers view, but we sternly refuse to do it for the exact same liability reason. Many argue that they only want it for the passenger to watch and that they will not watch it. My arguement is that i bet they cannot walk by a television in their own home without looking at it, let alone sit 12 inches away from one and not be distracted! They also argue that if we were to do it for them, they would accept all responsibility and claim that they did it themselves! yeah... right up until that liability lawsuit is filed against them!

If you want video for your spouse to watch while driving, install a slim TFT video monitor in the passenger sunvisor and or use a portable dvd player It would probably only cost you a few hundred dollars either way and will be better in the long run.

that's my take on it... thx BigJohnnyC

ADulay is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: DVD Nav Override? (I wanna play movies!)

Quote Originally Posted by BigJohnnyC
    Here's my 2 cents, being a pro audio installer for almost 18 years now...
    (rest of message edited out for brevity)

that's my take on it... thx BigJohnnyC
    BigJohnnyC,

Thanks for your expert opinion on what we may be facing with this DVD play in Park thing. I was hoping it wouldn't come to that, but I guess I was just hoping it would be something simple, like a ground or trace that could be worked out.

Anyway, here's hoping something turns up eventually and we can play the DVD from time to time instead of dorking around with the map, phone, addresses, views, disks, audio, users, scans, seeks and various adjustments on the screen that we can do now.

Just seems kind of odd that all of that other stuff can be screwed around with and not just play the DVD.

AD

BigJohnnyC is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by ADulay
    BigJohnnyC,

Anyway, here's hoping something turns up eventually and we can play the DVD from time to time instead of dorking around with the map, phone, addresses, views, disks, audio, users, scans, seeks and various adjustments on the screen that we can do now.

Just seems kind of odd that all of that other stuff can be screwed around with and not just play the DVD.

AD
    Hey, you're welcome!

Yeah, its kinda odd.. the law is that no FULL MOTION VIDEO is allowed in front of the driver's head when driving. The only exception to this is a video camera aimed out the back of the vehicle that is used as an electronic rear view mirror. Most aftermarket systems will only display that video signal only when the car is in reverse, triggered by the back-up light circuit.
    I also feel that video based navigation systems can also be very distracting. I have roadtested several sytems after installing them and I caught myself watching the screen and ignoring the traffic! Realistically, one should stop the vehcile on the side of the road somewhere before keying anything info into a navigation system. As nav units become more commonplace in newer cars, there probably will be legislation passed concerning their operation, much like the recent laws banning the use of cellphones while driving.

startacus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Hello,

Send me a ticket to SW Florida (or pay expenses) and I will guarantee that I will figure your DVD problem out. :coolgleam I've done a tremendous amount of customization to automotive electrical systems and have almost 20 years experience doing remote start systems, anti theft systems, stereo systems with motorized parts, modifying factory systems to perform with aftermarket systems, digital dashwork and many other customized electrical fabrications. If the system works in park, it can work anytime - it is just a matter of locating and reconfiguring circuits. I am sure a hack will be available sometime in the future, if there isn't one out already, but if you cannot wait and just have to have it done, one option would be to contract someone of considerable experience like me to do it for you. Take care.

zx6racer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 ESV

Cool Re: DVD Nav Override? (I wanna play movies!)

The kit to watch TV in you Cadillac is about $600 email me and I will tell you where to get it !!!

Quote Originally Posted by zx6racer
    The kit to watch TV in you Cadillac is about $600 email me and I will tell you where to get it !!!
    zx5racer,
    OK, just tried to email you but it says you don't have that feature turned on here.

I'm still trying to get this to work so I'll kind of "email you in the blind" so to speak here on the message board for your solution to this nagging problem with our DVD players in the vehicle.

Andy (live from Hong Kong tonight)

zx6racer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 ESV

avelectronic.com I have the kit in my EXT works good

Quote Originally Posted by zx6racer
    avelectronic.com I have the kit in my EXT works good
    Thanks man. I'll check it out as we type!

AD

JODAOR is offline Cadillac Owners Member

So has anyone actually figured this out yet? If so, please share with the group.

Vintalage is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Well, as many have found out, this unit cannot play dvd movies. Now, there is a way to watch movies on this unit, but it's an expensive price to pay to get it to do it. This unit does not have an video input. There are two places I know of that will modify the unit and add a video input. http://www.avelectronic.com/products.htm or http://www.nav-tv.com/. You send them your radio, they open it up and install the video in connector. Once this has been done, say goodbye to your warranty. Their unit takes the input from your DVD player, rear camera, TV tuner, etc and displays it on the screen of the navigation unit.

Costs? Over $1000. Outrageous!

Here is a pic though:

Vintalage is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Here are some more pics of other vehicles with the unit from aveletronic.com

BMW X5

Infinti G35

Acura TSX

Navigation TV Tuner system

FASSTWOOD is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Fleetwood Brougham

Check out www.navtv.com I think they do caddy's also.

jasonbade is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Does anyone know what the kit contains? Do you have to cut wires? Do you have to solder any connections to the radio??? I would like to do this to my ESV but I don't want to pay $1k

SammyDaBull is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Make friends with someone in the service department at your dealership. They need to use one of their "tech tools" to mess with the computer in the car. I've seen it done. I doubt its just a regular OBDII Scanner though.

DTS
    DTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Lightbulb Re: DVD Nav Override? (I wanna play movies!)

I just got an 04 DTS and I hate the fact that the GPS ignores me (and the wife too) as soon as the car moves. This is not the same risk as watching a movie. The many voice commands (I love them) including GPS - do work at all times. Except that none of them let you change where you’re going. Any fixes out there? It could very well be that the same fix applies to both DVD and GPS.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.