Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1998 Deville Stereo Install Photos

96K views 70 replies 33 participants last post by  missmaryelisabeth 
#1 · (Edited)
Since my own thread got dugged up I figure I'll post some comments on my own experience. A few years ago I went through hell and back trying to install an aftermarket stereo in my 1998 Deville but I've got it figured out. Like what BigOLak said the main issue is the data bus, the two purple wires on the back of the factory needs to stay hooked up. I took pictures while I did this so here they are.

Here's the beginning...I relocated the factory radio under because the wire loom is long enough and at the time I wasn't sure if this is how I solve the sleep mode issue. Instead of tapping into my ignition wire I ran a separate 12v wire to a SPST switch to turn my headunit on and off, this way I can have my stereo on without the keys at all. It's kind of more convenient but just make sure to turn it off when you park the car. I also ran separate power/ground wires(the 8 gauge wire in the picture) for my headunit, that way I can tap more 12v stuff to it such as TVs, active crossovers, etc. without worrying about the factory wiring.

I used this as the power wire entry, because I didn't feel like putting a 1" hole in my firewall

I planned on having a massive stereo system so I used 0 gauge wire. The red 8 gauge is for the headunit. You'll have to remove the metal plate above the battery.

Later on I added a chassis ground to improve current flow

See less See more
#57 ·
Re: 1998 Cadillac Deville Stereo Install Photos

I have a 96 deville and want to install alpine iva-d310 I have the bypass tr-7 but I wanna know how I can hook it up without killing my battery or not having to reprogram all my settings everytime dont know if thats possible

#59 ·
Mr meister 42. I come to you in desperation, I've installed countless stereos and other car parts throughout the years and this 98 Cadillac deville is something else. Confident it was like the others , you can only imagine the damage I caused. I finally recovered and fixed everything thing. It's been months and I can't continue using the cassette as aux. So Question: I don't have any money to buy new speakers. So can i install the after market stereo and use the stock bose amp and speakers? I will post pics maybe a video if you help. I think you guys will l like my set up.... I've coined it " the suspension stereo.
The stereo is a cheap boss 29 dollars stereo from frys. No CD . Just send card, aux , usb, and fm radio. Thanks

#63 ·
Skip the box and having to look at it... Stuff it in the trunk above wheel on pass side. Power and ground for it can come from cd changer harness. Just have to run data wires to it.
Is your system a BASE or amp system? If amp you'll have to bypass it to use the speakers.

#65 ·
Yes you will have to bypass the amp, it and the HU work as a team for sound so when one is removed the other is useless.
I'd have to look at wiring diagrams again to find out what wires need to be bypassed and where (speaker wires). All the wires for speakers come from the amp so you will have to either run speaker wires from new HU to amp area and connect or to each speaker from HU.
You need to read through this audio forum and deville forums looking for HU upgrades.
You will lose chimes and wheel controls also unless you purchase modules.
I took my entire amp system out of my 97 last year and installed new everything including amp and wiring to speakers. Taking the interior apart without destroying the trim is one of the harder parts.
Do your research or it will suck and not work right.

#66 ·
take out the factory radio and cut the connector out from the back of the radio leaving about two or three inches of wire coming from it. cap all wires except POWER,GROUND and 2 PURPLE data wires. Extend those power, ground, and data wires to about fifteen feet long and re-attach the connector.(cap the other wires on connector too). You have to be able to get the homemade harness all the way to the trunk and plug into radio. Relocate factory radio to trunk like rodnok said in that exact spot.( i had a storage door thing there so it was perfect!) i secured the radio into the frame of the car with metal plumbing straps. Completely hidden. NOW,,, u do an overlap install. Install Aftermarket HU running new wires for power gnd etc. got CONSTANT power from battery through a fuse direct. SWITCHED power, i put a jumper off that power from my battery to a switch under my dash. And GND from original radio wires inside dash. I did the "BIG 3" so i ran all new speaker wires from all doors to my amp in trunk. OVERLAP! sorry i never posted pics. I got rid of the car since then. It was a badass install though. Very clean install. i endeed up putting a flip out single din in it. Took me about three days total for the whole thing. after that u can install anything in anywhere. Good luck

#69 ·
Two data wires power ground and the other two ? You can?t recall ? I really need to know exactly WHICH wires to extend as I did those four already and radio says ?LOCK? while in trunk not to be confused with LOC which is when it?s NOT the head unit from the car this head unit works FINE in front when I wire it to the trunk two data wires and power and ground it says locked is that normal ? Or am I missing wires ?

#70 ·
This thread has been idle for 11 months now. You have posted about the same question in 4 different old threads/forums now. Are there any replies to your other posts?

Difficult to guess what has been done to the sound system wiring, but the original head unit is part of the original vehicle TheftLock, content theft, and serial data bus systems. It is programmed with the original VIN, so when it's in its original mounting it works - take it out and try to power it up somewhere else and it's locked - stolen. To get it all to work correctly you need the correct jumper harness(es) and procedures. The theft/data systems are why you need to keep the original HU operable as a data flow center.

The method(s) to get it working will probably be posted to your question in Deville - Electrical and Audio/Security are very low use forums. The guys at Crutchfield might have information ...................

You can't see old pictures/diagrams in many threads because most of them were posted using PhotoBucket when it was free. It's now a paid site and they locked all the old pictures until the owner pays the fee. Not likely to occur, as many of those members are gone.

#71 ·
Hello, I am not sure if this is the right place to post my issue, but I'm going to give her a whirl since I read the entire thread and can hope some knowledgeable person can help point me in the right direction. So...I have a 98 Seville sts and it's on it's last leg, I think every system that could need servicing shows on my dash including theft system, ac, suspension.... It does say battery not charging yet I have never lost power or had any issues with it and when I scroll through info it will say I have a good charge on battery (can't remember the volts) I am not sure if this matters but my windows only operate when the vehicle is off. I have to pull over or at a light put in park turn car off roll up or down and turn back on .. anyway I am trying to get my stock stereo to work and I am pretty sure it is one that was pulled from a junkyard, but it has the theftlock rds 2 feature which I watched YouTube videos on and took the thing out removed tape player and scraped off the 930xxxxx chip on the green electric board which was supposed to override the theftlock Vin check. After plugging back in I get same theftlock active reading on screen. I will post a pic of the chip I removed and hopefully, it was the right one. I really want to listen to music in the car, but it is on it's last leg like I said and is only a backup driver for me while my Buick is getting repaired. I am a girl and am mechanically inclined, but do not have a whole lot of experience working on cars. I do not have any money to take car to dealership or pay for a code, I hope there is a way to try out the Bose Delco unit or am I gonna be wearing headphones indefinitely? Thanks any info is much appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.