Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Factory CD player not working reading eror all the time

27K views 30 replies 5 participants last post by  ThumperPup 
#1 ·
On Thursday i left for vacation last week and after about 5 hours of driving and constate CD playing and music on the ride the CD player started acting funny i thought it might just be that the play was dirty so i got a cleaner to try and fix it just bought one of those CD player cleaner disks it did not help it
sometimes i could try and take a CD and insert it like after 15 tries it might work but if i skip ahead to another track it wont work only way to get threw a CD to the next song is to let that entire songs play until it goes to the next track and sometimes it would just stop on its own and not work at all
now it constantly says CD error when eve ri put a CD in
IS there a way to fix this or do i need a new CD player this sis the Bose system in a 2000 seville thank you

#4 ·
yeah i calle dhte one yard i deal with around here they have a few said he would let me get one for 75 bucks iwth the bose system wich is the same as it would cost on ebay before shiping i think

but i also found out i will hav eot take it to the dealership and pay them 40 dollar to unlock it and like
so i am thinking maybe ill just wait a few month when i get more money ill have an aftermarket system put in i guess

#5 ·
No need to pay the dealer to clear the VIN. Just buy the WORST looking BOSE HU that has a working CD. Is just a matter of few screws and one banner cable re-connect. The CD is a module inside the HU held by 3 screw. All you need is just take the top cover out (1 screw) and the HU face (just plastic clips-hooks) and unplug one banner cable (the one for the face plate). Then you have access to the two screws holding the CD module (under the face plate) and the one in the back. Disconnect the CD banner cable, swap-it with the new one and put the screws back in place. Snap the faceplate in and you just replaced your CD. The beauty part is that you keep the old HU (so no VIN programming). So you don't have to pay $75 for a good locking HU since all you need is the CD module inside. Trust me is easy to replace about 20-30 minutes if you are doing-it first time.

#7 ·
i thout about adding the cd changer but the cd screan keeps saying cd eror and that wotn go away and its eritating and i also ehar the thing making noise and all
Alos how do i get the deck out of the dash i can tfigure that out

#9 ·
If it is like the non bose in my car, there is a rectangular trim piece around the hu that takes some work (I started from the glove box side)... I think there were 6ish plastic clip kinda ordeals going back into the dash. Then there is a metal release on each side you just push towards the middle and pull back.

Could be different w/ bose though.

#10 ·
On a 2000 Seville, put the car in drive, pull the wood trim up from around the shifter (just clips holding it in start at back by console lid), remove the small plastic trim piece above the radio (small screwdriver to pop it out), remove one bolt at the top above radio and two bolts below the heater/ac control (7mm), remove radio and heater controls (mounted together).

#11 ·
BOSE, non-BOSE is all the same…
I posted the how to (stereo removal procedure) in several threads, and I was sure I had some picture too but this is all I could find.
The only difference is the shifter knob, on your car there is no horseshoe clip to remove just pull up hard (but watch your face). After that is all the same:
- remove wood trim
- remove ash tray
- remove HU upper piece (yours has no buttons on it – another difference)
- remove HU & Climate Control Module (connected together on one bracket)
- separate the HU from the Climate Control Module
Is fairly easy job 30-40 minutes first time, 5-10 minutes any time after.

#13 ·
i am acutaly thinking since i want3ed to upgrade to a navi unit maybe this is a good time to start putting money together eand just waiting
but if i get the head unit to a 2002 plus nag unite does that have a cd built into it i mean player or is it just the radio that is built into the head unit for the navis do i have to get a changer to play cds with the navi unit or if i want ot just ad the screan head unite at first and then go and get the other parts at a latter date will that work also do i have to do somthign special to make the steering wheel controsl still work

thanks

#14 ·
Yes the Denso Nav unit does have a CD/DVD in Dash (unfortunately no mp3 capability). The screen tilts and behind is the slot.
You can not listen music while using the navigation functions because in order to use the navigation you need to insert the maps DVD (thus your single slot is used).
For that you need to purchase a CD changer (witch is different from the non-Nav. models). The Nav compatible CD changer uses the car data bus to communicate with the HU rather than the E&D data port. This require some rewiring (connect the CD data wire to the HU Data bus). You will have to make an adapter harness that inserts between the HU harness and the Nav Unit.
The Nav Unit does have a radio incorporated.
Also from the adapter harness I mentioned (nothing-complicated just switching wires from one pin to another) you can wire an AUX input. The Nav unit does come with provision for that (but is not wired from factory).
Steering wheel controls are compatible no need to do anything (just plug and play - the communication is done via the data bus, same as in the non Nav units, same protocol).
So other than the NAV unit (and the optional CD changer) you need to purchase one* 32 pins male connector and one** 32 pins female connector (same as the one on the car harness and on the HU).

*Since the male (aftermarket) connector comes with just few wires attached you might need to buy 2 in order to have all the wires you need (using a needle release the clip holding the wire attached to the connector and relocate as needed).
**The female connector can be purchase from a wreck yard (just cut it from any '96 and newer Cadillac - it has all the wires you need)

#17 ·
so other than the HU there are no other parts that i need to get the navi to work its all built in to the unit is what your saying so
at a latter date i would have to geta cd changert if i wanted to listen to musice at the same time as using the navi but other than that all i need is the navi antena is that corect
and the 32 pin conectors you mentioned
also i was wondering is this a direct bolt in if i get the HU this one out of a 2002 or up model or is it 2003 and up will it bolt right in or do i have to do somting special to get it to fit beocus ei notice the ujnite looks a little difrant than the older ones did

#18 ·
Is DIRECT bolt on, designed to mount in the same dashboard.
Ah yeah, good point forgot about the GPS antenna, yeah you need that too.
The only reason you need the 32 pin male/female connectors is because some wires on the non-NAV cars connect to different pins in the connector than for the NAV cars. So you need a small extension harness that rearrange the wires (say enter on pin x but goes out on pin y). For example the interior lights on the non NAV cars are hard wired, the NAV unit operates the lights based on the information on the data bus so you need to let the wires not connected (as in don't wired that on the adapter harness). Coincidentally same pins on the NAV units are GND thus if connected directly you get a big fat short.

#22 ·
ok im lost this might sound dumb but what is the P-number ?

also i was wondering
how mouch does it cost to get updated nav disks from GM do you have to get them from the dealer and do they cover just state by state or is there one for east coast and one for west coast
Thank you

i am realy right nwo tryign to decide weather to get a factory unit from a bone yard or ebay
or going and buying a unit like a pioner avic-n5
also can the facortory units be bypased so you can use the navi and program it whyll driving or is it difratn than the aftermarket ones wher eyou ahv eot have a bypass
thank you

#23 ·
The part number is the Unit’s Part Number, there are 5 or so in total:
25734875 - gen 1
25743430 - gen 2
25744040 - gen 3
25755059 - gen 4
25764007 - gen 5
See the “other thread” I mentioned above.
The Nav DVD does cover US and Canada coast to coast (the older units CD based were only by areas – few states only). You can update the NAV DVD, the maps are updated from time to time, GM has them for sale (also E-bay).
Yes you can bypass the software protection (by entering a not so secret code). The code differ from P# to P#.

#25 ·
Ok heres the deal for the past month i have been going back and forth between weather or not to get a factory navi or a aftermaket pioneer unit a friend with a 2005 deville had factory in his and he replaced it with a pioneer Z3 unite
i told him i was going to get a factory unite instaled in my 2000 seville
for some reason he has been trying to talk me out of it and said for about 800 i can get a pioner avic d4 or n4 of ebay and have it instaled since im not good with instaling things and afraid i would break somting

i am looking for input here
what do you guys think is better

go aftermarket or
go factory 2003 plus

Thanks

#27 ·
is the OEM touch screan or how do you naviagate between options is there a toggle button is it easy to learn
also when the bypass is not bypassed to use when not in park can you reroute and use the navi part without the bypass or do you have ot have it bypassed like if i wanted to rerout whyll driving or put in a POI and find a gas station or somthing like that can i do that whyll i am driving or do i have to stop to set that up
also does it have POIs like are there options to say im on a road trip and want to know how far i have before the next gas station or where the next rest stop is or where the next food stops are or is that not on the factory system ?
also what are the fetures that i would get with OEM
like other than DVD and navi and radio and cd player are there inputs for a back up camera
also since i know the regulare radio in my 2000 did not tell me the name or tacks of the cds i played is the RDS in the navi unite able to show you the names and name of the track that you are playing on CD's or does it still not read that info

thanks

Ross Pup

#28 ·
Yes, the OEM is touch screen...it also has hard buttons around the edges. If you want to reroute while driving you have to use the bypass code. Yes, it has POI's. There can be an aux input added to the OEM unit...I have one. It allows audio left and right and video in, so you could do a backup camera if you wanted...I use mine for my iPhone. No CD track info is displayed.

#29 ·
Cool thank you very mouch
I have been learning more about the factory navi and doing way to mouch serving on it and talking with
CadillacSTS2003 in pm and i am for sure going to go that route and do that
since he only is about 2 and half hours from me he said that we can work somting out and since i dont want to have someone rip me off and over charge me for instaling it and id also like to learn how to do it
going to drive up to him in July when i get the unit and he will show me how to do it and ill pay him for his time so it will be doen right :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.