Replacing Factory Bose system
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, Replacing Factory Bose system in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hello everyone. I'm trying to remove the head unit in my 1997 STS and I can't figure out how to ...
    SteveBrier is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 STS

Unhappy Replacing Factory Bose system

Hello everyone. I'm trying to remove the head unit in my 1997 STS and I can't figure out how to get at the top retaining nuts/screws. I've got the ash tray out and the shift all apart so I have the bottom two screws out. Everything that I've read so far says that there is a retaining panel to try off but it doesn't look to me like this is the case! I've purchased the dashkit but the install instuctions are crap that come with it. They make it sound like the unit should fall right out and then replace it!!

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

Re: Replacing Factory Bose system

DAMN, MY NEIGHBOR'S NAME IS Steve Brier and he is 45 ! But....He is into VWs and Fiats.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)

You put this in the wrong section. The people over in the Seville section will be able to help you much more than us DeVille lovers (we are far better than them anyway).

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Here is the procedure:
    1. Remove the horseshoe shaped clip that holds the shifter knob. For that you shift all the way to "1" and look in front of the shifter (bellow the button) is a slot in the leather. With a flat head screwdriver pull the clip out (see the picture bellow).

2. Put the shifter in “D” (central position) and insert a solid knife on the side of the wood bezel (between the bezel and the central console). There are 4 clips (one near each corner of the wood bezel). With the knife insert and carefully pop up each corner.
    3. Unplug all wiring from the shifter console lights and heated seats then pull the bezel aside.
    4. Check the bottom of the ashtray, you will locate 2 screws. Then inside the ashtray housing (you have to remove the ashtray) is a third screw. Remember this 3-rd screw is larger so make sure you put it back in the same place.
    5. Once the ashtray is out you will be able to locate the screws on the bottom of the climate control (I believe there are 4). Remove them (same size as the one holding the ashtray).
    6. Now on top of the radio are the INFO Trunk and so on buttons. The whole piece has to come out. This is tricky, your best tool is a knife inserted on the side edges. You need to pry it out but in the same time try to lift up in order to pry out. Is not coming out so easy but in the same time don’t force-it. Unplug the connector in the back and put it aside (careful not to scratch-it)
    7. Now you see top two screws holding the radio and climate control. Remove the two screws and pull out the radio and climate control together. They are mounted with brackets together (you will see when they are out). Unplug both the radio connector and the climate control connector. Don’t worry the connectors are different so you can go wrong. Now unscrew the 4 nuts holding the radio attached to the climate control (2 on each side of the radio).
    That is all, to mount everything back just follow the steps in reverse order (is much faster).

Now you say you have BOSE and you are replacing the HU and I assume you know that the speakers need to be replaced too. This means you have to run your own wires to the speakers.
    I would like to ask you about the shape of your front speakers. The reason I am asking you about is because I am looking for a pair of preferably brand new (or at least MINT condition) BOSE front speakers. Here is my add, you can PM me if you like (I pay PayPall).

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

you put this in the wrong section. The people over in the seville section will be able to help you much more than us deville lovers (we are far better than them anyway).
    hey hey hey!

I have a STS, is this a bad car?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.