CD Changer to MP3 Player
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, CD Changer to MP3 Player in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hi, I have a 99 STS with the Bose system and a 6 Disc CD changer in the arm rest. ...
    kakjea is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS

CD Changer to MP3 Player

Hi, I have a 99 STS with the Bose system and a 6 Disc CD changer in the arm rest. I was wondering if there was an easy way to take out the Changer and get some sort of adapter to make that into a audio jack to use with an MP3 Player. I think that the changer on stereo would just be an auxilary sound input?? Not really sure about all this. If someone has any insight it would be great.

Thank you very much

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

Re: CD Changer to MP3 Player

only if your looking to connect an ipod

What would i need to do that?

N*Caddy is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Quote Originally Posted by kakjea View Post
    What would i need to do that?
    The easiest way to do an AUX input in you setup is to insert a jack on the audio signal between the HU and the RIM. It will cost you around $15 and about 1-2 hours of work.
    You need one of those 3.5’ female jack connectors that switches the signal (i.e. when you plug the mail jack the signal between input and output is disconnected and the signal from the male jack is sent on the output. How can you tell is a switching jack or just a regular one: well a stereo jack has 3 pins (COM, Left and Right Channel). The one that switch has 5 pins: COM, Left In, Left Out, Right In, Right Out. With no male jack inserted the Left Out and Left In are connected together same thing on the right channel.
    Inserting the Male Jack into the female connector will disconnect Left In from Left Out and Right In from Right Out and will connect the Left channel from the male jack to the Left Out of the female connector and the same for the Right Channel.
    The final result, with no AUX jack inserted you can hear the radio or the HU CD, with the AUX jack inserted you hear your MP3 player of whatever audio device you connect. Switching to CD Changer you will hear the CD changer regardless. In order to hear the AUX input you need to be on Radio or in dash CD or Tape (if you have one). Also you will have control over the volume from the HU/Steering wheel controls and MP3 player.

Here is what you need:

1. One female Jack Connector with switching capabilities. Come to think you will need one with two more additional switches: 2 for the L/R audio signal and 2 for the return (since your unit has separate returns (although you can connect them together, but better get the proper Jack). This jack you can find it at any electronics parts store for around $1.5. Again you need one that switches and has two additional switches. Tell the guy you need one female 3.5’ jack for headphone the one that when you plug the headphones in mutes the speakers (and should have 2 more switches). Is a very, very common part and should have 9 pins underneath: Audio COM, Left IN, Left OUT, Right IN, Right OUT, SW1 COM, SW1 NO, SW1 NC, SW2 COM SW2 NO, SW2 NC.
    2. One 32 Pins Female connector (Identical with the one that connects in the back of your HU).
    3. One 32 Pins Male connector (identical with the one in the back of the HU)

Use the two 32 pin connectors to make a small extension cable between the car harness and the back of your HU.
    Run wires between the following pins of the two connectors (one to one connection)

E1-E1
    E4-E4
    E5-E5
    E6-E6
    E14-E14
    E15-E15
    E16-E16
    F1-F1
    F3-F3
    F5-F5
    F6-F6
    F11-F11
    F12-F12
    F13-F13

Now using 2 shielded audio signal 2 channels cables (like the one connecting your audio signal from the DVD player to the AV port of your TV, the ones with white and red RCA connectors) you have to connect the female Jack connector to the extension cable as fallow:
    - Pin E12 on the female 32-pin connector from your extension cable to Left IN on the Jack connector.
    - Pin E13 on the female 32-pin connector from your extension cable to SW1 COM on the Jack connector.
    - Pin F15 on the female 32-pin connector from your extension cable to Right IN on the Jack connector.
    - Pin E14 on the female 32-pin connector from your extension cable to SW2 COM on the Jack connector.
    - Pin E12 on the male 32-pin connector from your extension cable to Left OUT on the Jack connector.
    - Pin E13 on the male 32-pin connector from your extension cable to SW1 NC on the Jack connector.
    - Pin F15 on the male 32-pin connector from your extension cable to Right OUT on the Jack connector.
    - Pin E14 on the male 32-pin connector from your extension cable to SW2 NC on the Jack connector.
    On the Female Jack Connector also connect audio COM pin with SW1 NO and SW2 NO pins.
    You might want to mount the Female Jack Connector on a small PCB and place it somewhere behind a plastic panel leaving just a round opening to insert the AUX jack in.

How to detect witch pin is what on that female jack connector:
    The pin in the middle right under the connector opening is Audio COM (using a meter you see 0 Ohms between the ring around the opening and the pin)
    For the SW1/SW2 (located on the opposite end of the Audio COM) is a pair of 6 pins (3 for SW1 and 3 for SW2). Using a meter identify witch pair of pins are in short. Insert a male jack connector in and determine witch of the pins of each pair is now in short with the 3-rd pin form SW1 and SW2 (needless to say the pair now have on more contact with the connector inserted). The common pins (usually in the middle) are the SW1 COM and SW2 COM. The one that was making contact with the SW1 COM with no Jack In is the SW1 NC and the third pin is SW1 NO (same for SW2). Important none of the SW1 and SW2 pins are in contact in any situation (jack in, jack out). If they do make contact then you mixed out the pins, start allover.
    Then you have left 4 more pins grouped in pairs one on each side of the connector (towards the middle on the long axis of the female jack). With no jack the two pins of each pair are in contact. Inserting the male jack the contact on both pairs is broken. Now Identify witch one makes contact with the male jack connector. The pin making contact with the male Jack pin from the Left channel is the Left OUT (and the other one is Left IN) same story for the Right Channel.

Here is the diagram of a male and female jack connector (just ignore the chip part of the drawing). Also keep in mind the female connector will need to have 2 more switches that work in synchrony with the insertion/removal of the male jack connector (again very common part, I have 2-3 of those lying in my electronics parts box).

Click on the image to see the original thread also with an actual picture of the female jack connector (is wrapped in black tape but you get the idea). Also is a picture with my placement of the jack connector on a PCB in the ash tray area.

Also you can always use a regular Jack Female Connector (or even RCA) and use micro-relays to do the switching (you need 4 switches in total thus 2 micro-relays with dual contacts). In this case you will add a button to do the actual switch.

That’s it you have hard wired AUX input on your BOSE sound system, and you keep the CD changer too.

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

ipod2car
    GM version

Thank you both very much!

Buick225 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac Seville STS

Question Re: CD Changer to MP3 Player

First of all a very big thanks to N*Caddy for this tutorial

But do somebody know where I can get these 32 Pin male and female connectors? I dont want to destroy my original cable.

Thanks in advance

Buick225

Wal-Mart
    The Auto section has a small shelf for car electronics. Over there you can find the aftermarket connectors for GM. If it has 32 pins (2x16) and is male says GM '96-up then that's what you need (should be ~$10). Here is how it looks (check rear view picture)..
    As for the female connector, Wal-Mart might not have-it but you can go to any wreck yard around you, find a Cadillac (any ‘96-’04) and cut the end of the harness that goes to the stereo. Also you can buy it already removed from this guy for $6 (I am not affiliated with him by the way).
    You will probably need to relocate some pins (they come easily using a needle (after removing the plastic stoppers).

jhorner is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 DeVille

Nice this is what I was looking for. My Cd player just stopped working which causes an error that does not allow for me to piggy back my MP3 on the cd players wires anymore. Thanks alot for this it is a much better set up than I had.

Use two micro-relays (2 NC/NO). One for common and one for L+ and R+ and for control power use the power antenna signal.
    I made a small PCB in a box on the harness, here are the pictures:

Finally somebody understands me!

When you say "On the Female Jack Connector also connect audio COM pin with SW1 NO and SW2 NO pins." do you mean to wire them together on the jack connector? I am also having some significant trouble with the female jack. I can't find it, do you have any part numbers?

You can do that, or as I mentioned before use a relay with 2 COM, 2 NC and 2 NO (basically a double switch).
    Here is the diagram:

If you don't like spending ~$10 on two microrelays you can do-it from the Jack female connector/switch (providing it has 2 additional switches - I have some like that). But that will make your audio path from HU to RIM longer (I rather avoid that no matter how good is shielded). You can also connect the COM together (is no problem) but is not as “professional”.

Female connector...Junk yard any '96-'03 Cadillac (not sure about CTS), also E-bay (but E-Bay is more for the Male connector due to the aftermarket HU demand)

I did not think about the length of the cable that I am using is unsheilded.

Sorry not sure if i explained correctly I have the connectors that go into the HU male and female. I was looking for the connector that the headphone would plug into. The electronics places around here just stare at me and bring me standard stereo jacks one place had a switching connection but all others not so much.

Since you pointed out the benefits of using the relays I am now not sure which route I will go.

I need to make a choice soon as i do not have an MP3 player in my car.

Here is exactly what you need in terms of female jack 3.5mm connector:

I mean EXACTLY THIS ONE, this is the one I use (I have a bag of them in my tool box – fairly common device on your local electronics parts supplier).
    Notice it has 5 audio pins (the wider ones) and on the back 6 more?
    Well theoretically this can replace your relays completely but I rather use the relays.
    So the wider pin in center is the AUX COM, then the outer most left pin is OUT L and the inner left pin is IN L. Then on the other side the right outer pin is OUT R while the inner right pin is IN R.
    Then the 6 pins in the back, the two in the middle are SW:COM while the 2 left pins are NO while the 2 in the right are NC. Basically between the 6 pins in the back you have 2 switches 2NO and 2NC).
    These switches are the ones to use as AUX in sensing signal. So connect as follows:

OUT R to AUX:R+
    OUT L to AUX:L+
    AUX COM to AUX:COM

Then to be on the safe side (in case one of the two switches fails in time) connect the two SW:COM together and to the POWER ANT control wire witch is ON as long as the HU is ON and you only need AUX with the radio ON). You can go ahead and connect the SW:COM pins to ANY permanent +12V wire but if you turn OFF the car and you leave the AUX jack from your mp3 player (or what ever device) plugged in the relays will be energized drawing ~35mA constantly, i.e. you will drain the battery in about … 4-5 months (is not like will ever happen to leave your car off for 5 moths but is let’s just say - not professional, not to mention the Power antenna signal is also so easily accessible).
    Then the 2 NO pins are to be connected together and to the AUX IN.

Since a picture worth 1000 words here is your “IKEA” simple diagram:

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.