CD Changer to MP3 Player - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, CD Changer to MP3 Player in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Thanks was about to ask if it is better to use a button or to use the switching jack. But ...
    jhorner is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 DeVille

Re: CD Changer to MP3 Player

Thanks was about to ask if it is better to use a button or to use the switching jack. But that pic took care of that. I appreciate your help on this can send a pic when I am done.

Kyle_STS_96 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

anybody in the Providence, RI area trying to make a quick buck. i'd pay 200 bucks for someone to do this

Dallas_danco is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

This is Awesome. Quick Question if the car is not equiped with a Cd changer is their a wasy to hook the MP3 player to the aux input?

Would this avoid all the relays and stuff?

Dan

jhorner is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 DeVille

It would depend on your car and if you have the wiring already set up in your car. Some have the wiring already in place for a cd changer. Look for that first.

The relays are only required if you wire it between your head unit and the amp. I think that set up only works with a specific combination

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

People please FORGET about the CD Changer connector, you can not use it UNLES you have a CD Changer attached. Then is the inconvenience your AUX input is only available in CD Changer mode.
    The best option is the audio line between HU and AMP (a.k.a. RIM in some cars).
    You make your own harness and relay box (this is the hard part) then is a matter of 2 minutes in a Deville and ~30min in Seville/Eldorado to actually connect the harness.
    REGARDLESS you need the relays!

^Tom^ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS / 2004 XLR

hi all

to find the connectors in switzerland is hard stuff.
    can anybody send me the connectors?
    i can't write privates messages, so i have to write here to ask.

thanks

tom

lewandowski_jacek is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 sts

hey!
    what about these kind of mp3 disc changer adapters: http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/28...er_USB_SD.html ? anyone tried this kind of thing?

consigliori is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Triple Black Eldorado ETC, 98 ETC(HG), 91 Seville(gone)

This is kinda being a bitch to find...

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/22...hone_Jack.html

this it?

A good tip would be to add "PCB" to your searches for this...

lewandowski_jacek is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 sts

Quote Originally Posted by jhorner View Post
    It would depend on your car and if you have the wiring already set up in your car. Some have the wiring already in place for a cd changer. Look for that first.

The relays are only required if you wire it between your head unit and the amp. I think that set up only works with a specific combination
    Hi guys,
    So I have in my 99 Seville with stock audio a disc changer, which gives me "disc changer error", it's not playing anything. Can I just plug this female jack connector in between cables leading to the disc changer and use other device plugged instead of the changer?

Quote Originally Posted by lewandowski_jacek View Post
    Hi guys,
    So I have in my 99 Seville with stock audio a disc changer, which gives me "disc changer error", it's not playing anything. Can I just plug this female jack connector in between cables leading to the disc changer and use other device plugged instead of the changer?
    NO
    Just clean up the lens, check the mechanical integrity of the CD changer mechanism (load/spin). If no joy a new (to you) unit of e-bay is well below $100.

cpetro45 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hey N*Caddy,
    I've been reading this thread on the audio aux input. I have a 99 SLS with Bose. I ordered this 3.5mm female jack with 11 pins, you can look at the data sheet here Edit: search for st-3100-11c, can't post links as I'm a new user) I believe it's the right one.

I have a few clarification questions:

1) Why can't I just extend the 32 Pin cable myself and put the relays / 3.5mm female inbetween the original cable?
    2) Do you really think sound quality would degrade without using the relays?
    3) What does RIM stand for?
    4) Do you have a link to the specific micro-relays I should order?

I'm comfortable with soldering/splicing, etc. I feel like this does not seem too bad. I just need a bit of help finding the micro-relays. I'd really like to get this done and appreciate the great information you have provided.

Please let me know if you could provide a link for the relays or any other pointers.

Thanks!
    Chris

darryl _ jf is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Cadillac Deville DTS

Quote Originally Posted by N*Caddy View Post
    2. One 32 Pins Female connector (Identical with the one that connects in the back of your HU).
    3. One 32 Pins Male connector (identical with the one in the back of the HU)
    [/B]
    Hi N*,
    This is the connector I found at Walmart (see attached image). It includes both a 32 pin and 24 pin connector...is this what I want (ie. only use the 32 pin?). Or will I need to swap?

Also, where did you get the female jack connector...couldn't find one at 'the source'.

I don't have much of an electrical background, but I'd like to give this a try!

Darryl
    Attached Images

The 24-pin connector is useless unless the pins are identical with the ones in the 32-pin because in the 32-pin connector you only have about 10 wires, the remaining pins are empty, you need more pins than supplied. So if the 24 pin is not usable (for pin harvesting) then you need one more 32-pin connector. Then you need one 32 pin female connector (a junkyard is your best option, OEM quality is far superior to aftermarket). If you are in the Mississauga area Cooksville now has 2 cars with the connector you need. But you also need the jack connector, some project box, some PCB and microrelays. The parts can be sourced from Sayal (various locations in the GTA).

darryl _ jf is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Cadillac Deville DTS

Thanks for the help so far N*. So Cooksville Wreckers is closed on the weekend...I'll give them a call on Monday and try to get that 32 pin connector. As for the rest of the supplies, I visited Sayal and picked up the jack connector. Can you give me more details on the PCB, project box and micro relays (size, type, etc)? I've attached a few pictures.
    I'm not electrically savvy by any means, but really want to attempt this. One other thing, how do you make the connections on the jack connector? Thx.

Jack connector (on my finger for scale...didn't realize how tiny this was going to be!)
    photo 3.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    photo 2.JPG

The Jack connector is EXACTLY what you need, good job finding it!
    The microrelays are $5 and should be 12V with 2 pairs of contacts NC/NO/COM (total of 8 pins).
    This is a picture of the microrelays mounted in the box:

Since you have a Deville you can fit the connector right on the frame around the HU like I did in this picture:

As for Cooksville they are open Saturday up to 1:00PM. They won't know about the connector, you have to go and locate the silver '99 Deville and the green '97 STS they have, the STS is a BOSE system while the Deville is base. You can get the HU connector and some pigtail harness from any of the two cars (but the easiest one is the Deville).
    As you (almost) see in the picture, I cut a small portion of the PCB exactly the size of the connector and soldered the wires (22 AWG) to it. I also used the PCB to solder some solid wires that are embedded (melted) in the back of the plastic frame (that's what holds the connector). It is very precise work to drill the exact size hole and embed the wires in the plastic deep enough to hold but not too deep to break on the other side. I guess you can use epoxy for extra strength.
    Here is a picture with a finished AUX input box (the loose wires suppose to be connected to the AUX input jack).

This is the suggested PCB layout (see the relay footprint):

Very, very small thing to work on (is designed for the box pictured above)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.