Some navigation questions - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, Some navigation questions in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; No problem!...
    N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Re: Some navigation questions

No problem!

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Good thread, i'm thinking of doing this also, but i suck at electronics ( an IT guy sucking at this, i know ), so a few questions.

1.)What exact Nav HU do i need?
    2.) what firmware and how do i obtain it?
    3.) I have BOSE in my car, i just need to replace my driver door speaker assembly as it recently went up in smoke (literally), and get some OEM 6x9's.
    4.) Thinking of going back down to 1 10" Kicker suck with Amp. Can this be added
    5.)I have the connection for the disc Changer in the trunk, how will this play into such a project?

Also i need to replace my Power antenna, which i'll do soon.

mtflight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond ETC

Hey Vince,

You're in luck that I just went through this procedure! See post here http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...t-keeping.html
    BTW a sincere thanks to N*Caddy for verifying my connections were accurate and being available to answer my constant flux of questions. Vasi, you're the best. Invaluable. Electronics MVP on the forum award goes to you.

Quote Originally Posted by mtflight View Post
    Hey Vince,

You're in luck that I just went through this procedure! To recap, you want a nav system, and you want to add an amp to it with a subwoofer. It is simple to do but takes a little bit of work. you should be fine doing it.
    Yup, currently im running two 10" Kickers in a sealed box with an Orion cobalt5001 Amp, my 6x9's are Pioneer 4 ways, still connected to the factory amps. My door speaker(s) were/are sony 3 ways (my drive door amp died and there's no speaker in their currently). So im thinking of just going back to Bose for door and 6x9's slap in a DVD/nav, add aux, and keep just one of the 10" Kickers with the amp.

mtflight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond ETC

Quote Originally Posted by vincentm View Post
    my 6x9's are Pioneer 4 ways, still connected to the factory amps. My door speaker(s) were/are sony 3 ways (my drive door amp died and there's no speaker in their currently). So im thinking of just going back to Bose for door and 6x9's slap in a DVD/nav, add aux, and keep just one of the 10" Kickers with the amp.
    Hey how does the resistance differential affect audio going from a 4/8 Ohm speaker to the BOSE's lower Ohm rating? Maybe that is the reason it went up in smoke? BTW sorry I posted a half-baked message... when I clicked "Go Advanced" I must've posted it... so I went back and edited in advanced mode. I'll snap some pics of the finished dash in a few...

Thanks alot, i'll go over these once i get a chance, and big thanks for N*Caddy, he needs a Nobel Prize for Cadillac electronics research and his breakthroughs lol

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Well I think I finally crack-it and I have the video to prove it.
    I got the NAV HU working ON THE DATA line with my '97 STS.

Yes is correct I am actually controlling the volume of my RIM ('99 Eldorado) using the NAV unit connected to the data line. Also you see on top the DIM ('99 STS) that allow me to run the NAV unit.
    The song you hear (The Cardigans - Erase and rewind) is played by the car's BOSE regular HU ('99 Eldorado). Actually is more complicated than that, is a disk in the 12 Disk CD changer controlled by the BOSE regular HU, but that's just a detail, important I am controlling the volume control of whatever sound is in the RIM (obviously works with the In-Dash CD player or the Radio). So again the NAV unit does not produce the sound (as I didn't connect the audio lines); the NAV unit is only connected to the data line and controls the RIM volume level (and other audio settings). I can also control the DSP and the balance/fade. Basically I can control every audio function the RIM knows. The NAV unit designed to work with the new AMP also knows AVC and EQ, but the buttons are disabled while connected to the RIM (as the are not supported).
    The next video is the test of the steering wheel controls. I am testing the SELECT button in RADIO mode, note how the radio channels change as I am using the steering wheel button. Note you can also control the volume from steering wheel but that's in the RIM not in the HU (is kind of not easy to understand unless you understand the audio system).

And the next video demonstrates how the memory functions work too (note I am selecting from the door buttons driver 1 or driver 2 and the NAV unit responds accordingly - as seen on the botton left corner of the screen).

There are some rather big changes to be done, I need to replace the PZM with the DIM + RIM (Rear Integration Module) combo. Actually I already have the RIM in for the URPAS chimes so I may as well migrate the other inputs/outputs from PZM.
    When the weather gets better I will continue with the project...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.