Some navigation questions - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, Some navigation questions in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Originally Posted by CadillacSTS2003 nope to date i have never had a non nav car to a nav car have ...
    Ur7x is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 STS

Re: Some navigation questions

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacSTS2003 View Post
    nope
    to date i have never had a non nav car to a nav car have voice command work
    i had the dealer look into it and they said its a feature they turned on in the BCM
    its on now but still it doesnt work
    i THINK the onstar module needs reprogrammed which i was planning on having done when i upgraded my onstar but i never got around to it
    Bummer... my parents just got a new Lexus IS and the voice activated NAV is very cool.

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Update,
    Just received the second NAV unit today, way more expensive in the end thanks to the Canadian customs. This unit is GEN 1 but with GEN 3 firmware, thus this unit is GEN 3. The unit looks almost exactly like the first one (witch suppose to be brand new) so I am more than happy with the shape considering this is a used unit. The advantage of the used unit is: I know it was working when removed.
    So again high expectations…hope to test-it soon.

Ok today was the prelim test day.
    I finally got IMAGE on the screen!

Now all I have to do is load the firmware.
    The unit was connected to the car’s diagnose port (both power and data), but since no firmware no need of data (so I think, I did not actually tried with no data wire), so for a minute or so I had two stereos on my car. The strange thing is that the ’99 Theftlocked unit I have (as a guinea pig or test mule) does not start unless I have the key in ACC while the NAV unit starts as soon as I connect the power (diagnose port has power all times). This is why I believe with no firmware does not communicates anything (duh seems logic) but I did not tested.
    Hope after the firmware is loaded, the unit will like my car's data bus and work. That's all I am asking.
    Anybody has an exact explanation why would the firmware be gone since last time when in the donor car (few weeks ago) the firmware was in?
    As far as I am concerned today was a good day.

Today I found the time for another test round with the NAV unit.
    First I connected the unit to the car’s diagnose port as follows:

Then inserted the firmware disk

Then after almost one minute started to load the firmware

Then once the firmware was loaded (5 minutes or so) beeped 3 times retracted the screen and DEAD. Exactly the same behavior as with the first one: no image on the screen and does not responds to any button. The firmware CD is inside, I can hear the unit spinning the disk for the first moments after the power is applied but nothing else the screen is black. Removing the GPS antenna I get the B2462 code on the IPC, reconnecting the antenna back the code goes to history. That is about it. Looks like I am back to square one.

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

told ya
    you other nav was fine..
    its something to do with how your car isnt reading an RIM and bose stereo me thinks...

RIM was connected with the other unit at no avail.
    RIM+'99 Eldo HU connected (off the car but data cable between the two), when power applied RIM turns the AMP relays ON, 15 seconds later (no activity) the RIM turns the relays OFF, pressing the clock buttons on the HU RIM turns the relays on for another 15 seconds (or so). Conclusion ’99 HU and RIM do communicate on the data wire. Replaced ’99 HU with NAV HU the RIM turns the AMP relays ON for the usual 15 (or so first seconds). The NAV HU keeps the LEDs on for the first 10 sec. or so then OFF. No matter what button I press on the NAV HU the RIM will not turn the AMP relays on.
    Remove RIM and connect ’99 HU and NAV HU on the data bus, after 10 seconds or so the NAV HU turns OFF the LEDs. Pressing the clock buttons on the ’99 HU the NAV HU turns the LEDs on for ~.5 sec (each time). Thus there is some communication initiated by the ’99 HU, the NAV HU receives data but does not send.
    As a curiosity, if pressing and holding SETUP button on the NAV HU after power up the HU beeps (after about 5-7 seconds) and holds the LED’s on for an extra 20 seconds or so.
    The ‘99 HU connected to the car will power UP as soon as the ignition is ON (no matter if I supply power from before – continuous power not ACC power). Once ON I get the THEFTLOCK message on the screen (not sure if this is generated because the VIN is not received or received but does not match the one in the HU). I also get the Theftlock code on IPC and the message about “car might not restart”, thus ’99 HU communicates with the car (regardless if the RIM is in or not). I also get the correct clock on the HU display (so communicates with the PCM too). I need to clear the VIN from the ’99 HU and have a definitive answer, if THEFTLOCK message is gone then PCM send the VIN at the HU’s request so no reason why the NAV HU would not receive-it. The NAV unit communicates with the IPC because with no GPS antenna I get the error code on the IPC.
    Also the LEDs intensity is controlled by the dimmer, thus NAV unit communicates with the PZM too, just no image on the screen and no reaction to any button.
    I converted my car from Canada to US, so this concern is also out from the equation. Should be EXACTLY as your Eldorado that you said the unit worked on. What month is your Eldorado made?

Any idea why the NAV HU holds the Firmware for only 30 seconds after the power is disconnected? You do know the unit, is the one you refreshed the firmware to gen. 3.

Since I was swapping the HU, today I decided to get another shot with the NAV unit, so I removed the interior lamps wires from the harness and plugged the NAV unit. Loaded the firmware and this time behaved slightly different, usually beeps 4-5 times when the firmware is loaded then nothing this time beeped twice then 3 seconds delay and then the usual 4-5 beeps. I also noticed that with no firmware when plugged on the car harness the power antenna goes up then once the firmware is loaded the antenna goes down and no reaction. The only thing it does is responding to the interior lights dimmer, so at least that part of the data communication works.
    Uhhh!
    This time was for real with RIM on the network and the full BOSE setup, the ONLY missing wire from the harness was the vehicle speed (should not matter).

Caddi02DTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 DTS

I had some work done on my 02 DTS and while it sat at the dealer for 2 months the battery went dead and after charging the navigation screen says Cation cannot load system software. Disk type incorrect. Please install correct system disk.

Does anyone have a software disk that they can email me the file or does anyone know where I can buy one??

Thanks in advance

Caddi02DTS

P.S. this is my first time on the site and it is really great for Caddi owners, lots of info. Glad that I found it online!!!

Ok today I did some more tests with the NAV unit.
    First of all for all of you who are experiencing the firmware lost issue I know what is the problem will cost you $2 to fix. In the left side of the DVD module is a CR2032 Lithium battery. That battery is suppose to hold your firmware in memory for 1 year when new. In time does not hold the charge so you end up loosing the firmware if the car sits for a while. So go to your computer/electronics store and ask for a CB2032 battery. Take the HU out of the dash and remove the top cover, then the DVD module (held in place by 7 or so screws). Replace the battery (require soldering) and you are all set.

Now back to my navigation issue.
    So now I have BOSE thus no excuse should work. Well I connected the unit to the car data link connector (all you need to connect is power and one of the data wires). First strange thing was after loading the firmware it did not beeped (strange).
    With the firmware loaded (same 3.10 version) it does follow the dimmer switch (I turn the parking lights on the back lights on the NAV unit turn on, I am turning the dimmer switch the light do dim accordingly). There is a ~0.5s delay witch is due to the time it takes for the NAV unit to receive the information from the data bus.
    Then a little bit more hope, if I turn the radio on (remember I do have a BOSE in-dash HU) well the sound is pulsing (between the HU volume and a higher volume) with a frequency of 1-2 pulses per second. So basically there is a “fight” for the RIM control between the in-dash CD BOSE HU and the NAV unit.
    If I press the music button on the NAV unit the sound gradually mutes in 2 seconds or so. The same happens if I press the NAV button and TILT. Turning the volume knob on the BOSE HU the sound is back (with the same pulsing volume effect). Unplugging the NAV unit the sound is instantly back to normal.
    The only difference with the unit connected to the data bus and unit disconnected is that w/o data bus connection pressing SETUP button (for 4-5 seconds) the unit beeps once, while if connected to the data bus it doesn’t. Also w/o data link the unit shuts down after ~15 seconds while w/data link it stays on.
    But regardless it does not responds to any button and NO image at all.
    Agrrrr , if I only had a way to convert the CAN protocol on the car’s network to a RS232 signal so I can see what’s going on with that data bus!
    I still believe there is some message that the unit expects to receive from the car’s network and it doesn’t. So far I suspect the problem is with the VCM module witch is missing in the ‘96-’97 Seville and ‘96-’02 Eldorado, but is present in the ’98 and up Seville (and Deville at some point after).
    Anybody knows where is the VCM located in a ’98 and up Seville, or has a picture with one. I am looking for one to have-it connected to the data bus along with the NAV unit, maybe that’s what the NAV units is looking for.

Can anybody help me with a GEN I firmware?

And the only code I get is:
    B2462 - GPS Signal Error
    If I disconnect the GPS antenna, other than that NOTHING.

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

Check your PM...

i got ESI
    lemme know if you need more help bro!

i got ESI
    lemme know if you need more help bro!
    I have the chance to get any OBDII module out of a '98 and start connecting them to my data line with the NAV unit so I need to know where to start first (is not free).
    Can you give me some details about the VCM in a '98 and newer (this is what I would start with). Where is located (exactly) and what it does ('97 and older don't have one).
    Also some various Gen. firmware (other than 03.10) especially Gen. I would help maybe (the unit I have is Gen. I but that's just a sticker now, is all in the firmware).
    Not about NAV but some how related, do you have the wiring diagram of a Heads Up display (or any details about this device, is part of the IPC or a stand-alone module?). I am fiddling with the idea of retrofitting one.
    Just out of curiosity what month is Elaine made? Mine is May (bought June) maybe that matters.

idk
    Elaine is RIP
    ill see if i have a photo laying around of the door sticker

i know the nav that worked was a 1st gen as it has the BOSE at the bottom
    its the unit in my 03 STS (which is at the dealer right now for a blown speaker lol)

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

4. Wheel controls work just fine baring temp up, on all nav cars this was a mic button and on my moms 98 whenever you press this the temp will go up but the nav says something along the lines of "command not recognized

now this helps me understand why when i hit the Temp Down button the navi does this same thing on my 2000 seville

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

idk
    Elaine is RIP
    ill see if i have a photo laying around of the door sticker

i know the nav that worked was a 1st gen as it has the BOSE at the bottom
    its the unit in my 03 STS (which is at the dealer right now for a blown speaker lol)
    wow they still have the car i thout they had it 2 weeks ago for the speeker or did they hav eto do somting els to it then yikes thats a long itme tell them fix it and get it back to you

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.