Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1996 Deville Stereo Install

21K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Byrdman 
#1 ·
I just successfully installed an aftermarket CD player, along with all four new speakers in my 1996 Deville. I just wanted to share what I did to accomplish it because I've read about all the chaos that can occur when installing an aftermarket stereo in a Cadillac, particularly a Deville.

First of all, I have the base stereo, non-Bose, non-Onstar, so this helped a lot. I used the standard GM adapter, that is regularly available, for all the speaker wires and the ground wire.

Now, because the original harness does not provide a switched 12v source (red wire), we have to find one. Also, the constant 12v source (yellow wire) provided by the harness is NOT constant. It lasts about 10 minutes and then cuts off. So, we also have to find a REAL constant 12v source.

I did not want to run a wire all the way to the battery, so I started thinking about options that are available in the cabin and their power source status. In the end, I came down to this:

I used the source for the power windows for the switched 12v source (red wire). A benefit of this is that you will also be able to take advantage of the RAP (Retained Accessory Power) feature. This is the feature that allows your radio to stay on when you key off, until you open a door or 10 minutes passes.

I used the source for the power seats for the constant 12v source (yellow wire). This is a system that is always hot, so there should be no "sleep mode" problem.

Both of these wires are easily tapped into a the right (passenger) front kick panel. That being said, you only need like 2 feet of wire for each source. On my particular vehicle, and probably all other 96-97 Devilles, the power window source (12v switched power for red wire) was a 12-guage PINK wire. The power seat source (12v constant power for yellow wire) was a 10-guage RED wire.

In the end, I have no codes and no problems. During diagnostic mode, it just shows "No IRC Data", obviously, because the radio isn't there. Hopefully this will help someone else trying to install a stereo. Good luck!

See less See more
#2 ·
I just did mine in my 97. I also used the power window for the acc. wire execpt on the 97 it is blue. For the constant i ran it to the fuse box in the trunk. I fused all power connections with a 10amp fuse. Did you relocate the stock stereo, and run the data wires to it, along with a power and ground?

#6 ·
If your '96 is BOSE equipped and all you want is a In-Dash CD (plus a RDS radio as a bonus) then just upgrade the HU to '98-'01 BOSE OEM HU.
If you want CDs but your system is base, then just add a 12 Disk OEM changer (is plug and play), and FORGET about the aftermarket crap.
The CD changer can be added regardless BOSE/base (same unit).

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.