Just finished installing the new Alpine!!!(Warning:VERY LONG)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, Just finished installing the new Alpine!!!(Warning:VERY LONG) in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I'm gonna try and get some pics for of my setup and maybe even do an article writeup because a ...
    barth875oh is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Talking Just finished installing the new Alpine!!!(Warning:VERY LONG)

I'm gonna try and get some pics for of my setup and maybe even do an article writeup because a lot of people seem to be misinformed on replacing the factory stereo.
    (All of this pertains to my 92 Eldorado non-bose system)

Removal is simple:
    http://carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalCadEldSeville.htm

Contrary to popular belief...

There is a mounting kit available.
    Here is the one I used: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd..._ID=6607&DID=7
    This kit allows you to go from double DIN to a single DIN unit, and it works perfectly.

There is a wiring harness
    The one I used is the one made for '88 and up GM cars.
    Much like this one: http://www.scosche.com/scosche/connectors/GM02.asp

Here is where it gets tricky. The "head unit" in the dash isn't really the head unit, it's just a tuner with a tape deck, I discovered this after I unplugged all connections to it and couldn't stop laughing because the radio was still on. The actual head unit is located in the trunk on the back side of the seats (at least in my particular vehicle). Simply pull away the trim piece that covers the speaker and place it aside. Now it's hard to explain which item is the head unit because I found many electrical boxes/device back here. An easy way is to simply find the harnesses that match and plug into the aftermarket one from above, there should 3 harnesses and 14 wires all together that.

Once you've located and matched up your harnesses you now have to run 12 or 14 wires to the front, where you will be mounting your aftermarket unit. I say 12 or 14 because 2 of the wires are for dimming, my unit does have a dimming feature, or at least on that dims with the car, i.e. when you turn the headlights on and so forth. I ran all 12 along the passenger side, down along the rear seat, underneath the rocker trim and then under the passenger seat an into the center console. I'm prolly gonna pull them out someday and make a couple slits in the carpet so that they are hidden a little better.

Now that all the wires were ran the rest is a breeze slide the two mounting bolts into place on the mounting kit and slide it in and put on the two retaining nuts, instructions are included as well. Then put the factory trim piece over it and install the center console. TA-DA.

Like I said before this was on my 92 Eldorado w/ non-bose system. Yours maybe have the head unit located in a different location, but mounting hardware and aftermarket harness should all work.

I still have to hook up the radio as the plug for that goes into the head unit in the trunk as well, but most automotive stores, that have a car audio section carry, decent sized extensions of these cables. Hopefully I can get some time to get the digi-cam out and get some pics.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
    Great write up..... Maybe Sal can put this in the articles section!!!! Definitely a keeper

AKPsiMC03 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    I just ordered the bracket so i can put my stereo in that i have in my S10.

question: what do you use for a longer antenna wire? cus the one in there is all of 8 inches long and the distance to the front of the car is a little more than 8 inches.

barth875oh is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Originally posted by AKPsiMC03
    I just ordered the bracket so i can put my stereo in that i have in my S10.

question: what do you use for a longer antenna wire? cus the one in there is all of 8 inches long and the distance to the front of the car is a little more than 8 inches.
    If you have an autozone in your town they'll have the extension, last time I was lookinng for one I found an 8' one. You'll also need the GM adapter plug, you'll plug that in between your factory antennae wire and the extension.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.