OnStar -> Bluetooth Conversion Completed!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, OnStar -> Bluetooth Conversion Completed!!! in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; When my OnStar went down at the beginning of this year due to the FCC discontinuing analog cellular service, I ...
    RustyBlazerDude is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 EXT, 2001 DTS

OnStar -> Bluetooth Conversion Completed!!!

When my OnStar went down at the beginning of this year due to the FCC discontinuing analog cellular service, I decided it would be a good idea to use the buttons and microphone already installed in my 2001 DTS to interface to an existing bluetooth hands free kit.

It took a little longer than expected, but its now complete.

It works great and is real easy to install. You just locate and remove the OnStar VIU and plug this module in its place. Using the buttons on the mirror, you can place calls, accept calls, transfer calls and even mute calls. The module will automaticaly mute the radio when a call comes in. Even the steering wheel volume controls work to raise or lower the volume. The voice quality is excellent since you use the high quality OnStar microphone. And best of all, there are no wires to run. The OnStar LED indicates call progress, pairing, mute status, etc.

This module works only with older cars utilizing the class 2 communication bus. It is intended to replace the obsolete analog onStar system that is no longer in service with the bluetooth unit which ties directly to your cell phone. When installed, it mimics the OnStar communications so that no codes are set.

Is this something you guys might be interested in? I am not an authorized vendor, and I do NOT have anything to sell yet, but with enough interest, I could set something up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

Re: OnStar -> Bluetooth Conversion Completed!!!

huh
    im game
    lets see what you have

hyperboimmv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 98 Seville SLS, 92 Eldorado ETC, 87 Chrysler Fifth Avenue

Im interested... If it wont work on my onstar-less (i hope it does because of the class II) sls, I have a malibu maxx i could put it on :-D

OK.
    Not too many responses, but here is a picture of the existing product showing the harness. Again, this simply plugs in right where the old onstar viu unit was. No running any wires. You get to use the mirror's onstar buttons and the existing onstar microphone.
    This should work in any GM vehicle that used the old analog onstar system, although the interface harness may be slightly different.

OK.
    Not too many responses, but here is a picture of the unit with the harness. Again, this simply plugs in to where the old analog onstar viu was and enables you to use the buttons on the mirror, along with the onstar high quality microphone to allow you to connect directly to your bluetooth cell phone.

I think this will work with most cadillacs of this vintage (circa 2000) and should also work with any GM having analog onstar unit that utilizes class 2 data bus for communications. The harness may be slightly different for other GM vehicles.
    Attached Images
    spanke59 and spanke59 like this.

Eh I doubt this module would work for my SLS I wished there was one for the hands free kit that was optional....

I looked up the model number on that module and found that I already have that in my car (the moto kit). I guess the easiest option would be to wire it to my radio.

Unless this module would work if I had the dealer use the tech2 and tell the car that there was a hands free kit installed, then it would take my left steering controls and turn them into call / end buttons? I wouldn't mind not having the fan speed buttons just for this purpose.

Does this connector look like the same one?
    Service Information.pdf

AlBundy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado Sport Coupe

If you want more responses, you might want to post this in the Deville or Seville/Eldo lounge.

how does it par with your cell phone
    a vid showing it working and how it works would help
    also a ball park price

As you can see from the previous pic, the bluetooth portion is based on a motorola HF850 module. I simply created an interface to the mirror buttons and mic which replaces the keypad and mic that comes with the kit.

So to pair, you simply hold the blue onstar button for three seconds, and the indicator led will start flashing green / off. Then you put your cell in search mode. Once the moto module is found, you enter the linking pass code into your phone.

This only has to be done once, and every time you get into your car, your phone will link to the car kit. You can mute the call using the red emergency button. And you can transfer the call to your cell for privacy if someone else is in the car.

When on hook, the indicator is red, and when muted it flashes red/green.

Pricing depends on peoples interest (total quantity). The pcboards are expensive to build in low quantities. And the moto modules are not cheap either. I really set out to do this for myself, but a friend of mine thought it would make a cool product so he talked me into posting it.

I'm out of town for the rest of the week, but I'll see about making a video or at least some kind of manual showing installation and operation.

Regarding Hyperboimmv, If you already have a moto kit, then all you need is the pcb and harness. The pcb plugs right into the moto module.
    Now in my '01 DTS, there was a cell unit and a VIU which were located in the trunk. The VIU had two connectors on it and the cell module had one. But they all connected to this harness connector shown in the pic. So for install, you pull out the VIU, and the cell module and the interconnecting harness. This gets tossed and the unit in the pic get installed by connecting it right where the old harness was.

A picture (or video) is worth a 1000 words so I'll see if I can get something better put together soon.
    Attached Images

it itll work on my 03 STS (it can be upgraded but i dont feel like paying for it) then ill take one and be sure to pass on how well it works to the forum and customers at my work (im an installer at BB and youd be surprised how many ppl come in asking for something like this)
    email me cadillac1997etc@yahoo.com and maybe we can work something out...

StuJac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III

Where can I get one? Will it work on my 03 DeVille?

Thanks in advance.

Stu

I think the cellular unit I am talking about is different. CadillacSTS2003, do you know if the cell kit in the 98 has the same connections as the onstar kit? I guess I could look the wires up at least and could probably hack something together.

And as far as I know this module should work on any gm car with analog onstar. If this is your board, I'd patent it and post on every gm forum. You'd make a mint.

off hand no i do not but i highly doubt it wont work as your onstar used a cell phone as a controller as opposed to the mirror and built in microphone
    even if you had a similar connector you would have no way of controlling it...

When I get back home I'll post a picture of the VIU / cellular units that I pulled from the trunk of my DTS. If they are the same, it should definitely work.

My unit uses the buttons and microphone to control the motorola module which in conjunction with your cell phone, effectively replaces the cars cell unit.

Basically, it converts the mirror signals and microphone levels into something that is compatible with the bluetooth module which then communnicates to your cell, which actually does the dialing. Unlike the onstar system, you get to use your cell number, minutes and service provider, whomever, whatever that might be.

And hyperboimmv, I dont know if it is patentable, but I'm glad to here that you think it's worthwhile. I love having it in my car, and I thought other caddy folks would love it too, but aside from you, stujak, and cadiallcsts2003, nobody seems interested.

If it looks like it will work , I will hook you guys up with a free unit (less moto kit) to be field tested. I have a few prototypes left over that I can piece together. I only ask that you guys work with me in case there are any bugs. And if it works for you, you can help me spread the word.

quantum is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Please count me in as a beta tester for your prototype. I will be happy to give you plenty of feedback. I have an 02 Deville with the analog onstar.

It will make a great addition to my carPC which is going in this summer. I LOVE gadgets like this.

Is this the kit I would need to buy? http://direct.motorola.com/ENA/SetUp...ory=Car%20Kits Then what, just plug your interface in and go?

Hell, I'll even be glad to pay you for shipping and be happy to spread the word for you!

Subscribed!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.