OnStar -> Bluetooth Conversion Completed!!! - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, OnStar -> Bluetooth Conversion Completed!!! in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; <sucking up> Actually, I was going to ask RustyBlazerDude how hard it would be to either use Class2 for the ...
    hyperboimmv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 98 Seville SLS, 92 Eldorado ETC, 87 Chrysler Fifth Avenue

Re: OnStar -> Bluetooth Conversion Completed!!!

<sucking up>
    Actually, I was going to ask RustyBlazerDude how hard it would be to either use Class2 for the DIC to display caller id text, or E&C bus to display Caller ID text on the radio, but I think this would probably be way too involved, and would be limited to a handful or less of car kits. Would be kind of cool to have an interface board that hooked up to class 2 giving a person the ability to use his computer to send messages and chimes to the DIC. But then again, if he accomplished this, who knows what he is capable of. :-D

</sucking up>

RustyBlazerDude is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 EXT, 2001 DTS

I actually put some thought into this idea a while back.

There are a couple of hurdles to overcome:
    1st: The moto HF850 module (which I happen to have had at the time) does not provide caller ID information to any peripheral device (keypad, etc.) So I don't readily have access to this information.

2nd: As far as I know, the 2001 DTS (which I happen to have had at the time) cannot accept any form of external text to be displayed on the radio. Since my IPOD interface cannot display song info, I assume this to be true.

To get around problem 1, I could base a module on the Parrot bluetooth interface. But that would add significant cost to the overall solution.

To get around problem 2, it might be possible to tap into the RDS system display somehow, but I can't really see that viable since that is modulated data on the FM radio carrier.

As for me, I throw the phone in the well in front of stick shift and if it should ring when I'm in the car, I simply pick up the phone and look on the display to see who it is. A little archaic these days I admit, but it actually works!

And besides, sometime I dont want the passengers in my car to know who is calling. Could be an old girlfriend. (Or worse a new one!) My wife would be steamed.

No news here, just bumpin' up the post counter so I can return all your PM's.
    -RBD

Is it 25 or 50, I can't remember?

Anyways, I am not sure who or where or what it was, but I could have sworn someone here had a video posted of his DIC displaying custom messages... Hrm, maybe I am just making stuff up as I go, who knows.

It's 25.
    And if you or anyone else can find that link, I'd love to see it.
    I can think of endless things to display. With a class2 tap, I can display all sorts of goodies.

I am wanting a screen-less navigation display, I think blaupunkt had one I liked (Turn left on Arrow Blvd, the next line, Turn right on to ramp) etc. Thats why I think the serial -> module -> Class 2 -> DIC thing would be kind of cool.

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBlazerDude View Post
    I actually put some thought into this idea a while back.

There are a couple of hurdles to overcome:
    1st: The moto HF850 module (which I happen to have had at the time) does not provide caller ID information to any peripheral device (keypad, etc.) So I don't readily have access to this information.

2nd: As far as I know, the 2001 DTS (which I happen to have had at the time) cannot accept any form of external text to be displayed on the radio. Since my IPOD interface cannot display song info, I assume this to be true.

To get around problem 1, I could base a module on the Parrot bluetooth interface. But that would add significant cost to the overall solution.

To get around problem 2, it might be possible to tap into the RDS system display somehow, but I can't really see that viable since that is modulated data on the FM radio carrier.

As for me, I throw the phone in the well in front of stick shift and if it should ring when I'm in the car, I simply pick up the phone and look on the display to see who it is. A little archaic these days I admit, but it actually works!

And besides, sometime I dont want the passengers in my car to know who is calling. Could be an old girlfriend. (Or worse a new one!) My wife would be steamed.

i know the nav radio can be made to accept messages
    hence why with the xm option it will display the channel name on the top have of the screen

mrgoodbar67 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 Cadillac DTS Deville on Vogues and DTS Blades

thata tru because installer.com sells some bt kit that interfaces with gm radios that have rds.
    when a call is in progress the rds displays "phone" or "bluetooth".

noesp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Have any of you beta testers tried one of these yet? It sounds like a great product, can't wait until it's available. Is there anything holding it up?

mike.nite is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Any news from the beta tester?
    Hyper - does it work fine? (I also have a non Onstar sts)

I was gone for a good portion of the week. I don't have my car assembled, but I spliced wires when I was bored. The module works as it should, you get a ground, it stops playing tapes/cds and mutes the radio and plays the audio you have coming into the cell in on the amp. I still have pics I need to put up for the connection, but on the bose amp, its the smallest connector, that has two data wires, two cell wires, and two other wires. I have a bluetooth adapter in my computer so I synced the kit to it, and using Streets and Trip, the radio switches audio over when ever nav voice comes through. It'd be kinda cool to get a plugin rigged up so it would ground out half a second before a guidance voice comes over. There are a lot of possibilities with a bluetooth kit and the HyperStar.

Quote Originally Posted by hyperboimmv View Post
    I was gone for a good portion of the week. I don't have my car assembled, but I spliced wires when I was bored. The module works as it should, you get a ground, it stops playing tapes/cds and mutes the radio and plays the audio you have coming into the cell in on the amp. I still have pics I need to put up for the connection, but on the bose amp, its the smallest connector, that has two data wires, two cell wires, and two other wires. I have a bluetooth adapter in my computer so I synced the kit to it, and using Streets and Trip, the radio switches audio over when ever nav voice comes through. It'd be kinda cool to get a plugin rigged up so it would ground out half a second before a guidance voice comes over. There are a lot of possibilities with a bluetooth kit and the HyperStar.
    1. So do cds pause or completely stop?
    2. Do you use the Motorola HF850 Bluetooth ?
    3. Would it be possible to get visual outputs (numbers/names) on the nav screen or DIC ?

The mechanisim stops (tape/cd) when there is a call, and starts again when the call ends. I am using the T605, so I am just using a ground to mute on the HyperStar. Text etc isn't available until RustyBlazerDude makes a hack.

RBD and Hyper - Thanks for the update!

quantum is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Just got the final piece of the puzzle today, the HF850 kit.

Hopefully with some good weather this weekend, I'll be able to pop it in.

Anxious to see how it works with the GMOS-06 in place of the radio. Pushing the Onstar buttons for Onstar makes the song volume mute and come back on when the "call" is cancelled. That's a good sign!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.