OnStar -> Bluetooth Conversion Completed!!! - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, OnStar -> Bluetooth Conversion Completed!!! in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Originally Posted by StuJac Is it being tested on an 03 base Deville? Or any of the same models so ...
    CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

Re: OnStar -> Bluetooth Conversion Completed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by StuJac View Post
    Is it being tested on an 03 base Deville? Or any of the same models so we'll know if works the same?
    our cars have the same VCIM if it works on my 03 STS itll work on your 03 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBlazerDude View Post
    Ok, as promised here are some photos of the viu module that I removed from the DTS' trunk. The part number is Delphi 12201539. If you have this unit, my module should work for you, since this is what my module is emulating. The harness is GM part number 12450687. If you have this, then my kit is plug and play. This harness has three connectors on one side (red and blue connectors plug into VIU, and DB25 connector plugs into cell unit.) The other side has the same connector as my harness. So you need to remove the viu/cell combo and the harness that goes with it. (Actually, you could just remove the harness and eave the viu/cell module, but then you have to find another place to mount my kit.

I also have a manual which shows the pinouts and a little more info on how to use the kit. It's a modified version of the moto manual.

***Note*** This is not ready for prime time yet until you guys have tested it in various vehicles. As i mentioned before, I did this for my vehicle only and have not tested it anything else. Once you guys are happy with it, I can make it available to all. CoSTAR technologies will be the company name and the product will be called the BlueSTAR. but IT IS NOT AVAILABE TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC YET!!!

Hyperboimmv, if you need more info let me know info@costartech.com
    quick ? and i noticed this as well
    which of the plugs does your kit plug into
    i have dug into it yet so please excuse my ignorance but the connector with the kit you sent looks like a connector for a splice pack not a connector for either of the 32 pin plugs on the vcim box (where i assumed you were tapping in)
    is the splice pack where this plugs into higher up where the 2 32 pins branch off from?

hyperboimmv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 98 Seville SLS, 92 Eldorado ETC, 87 Chrysler Fifth Avenue

I am still waiting for mine.. It has been in Lenexa for the past 24 hours... Ugh.. Way worth the 30 minute drive, but.. Good luck trying to get it from them, I guess.. LOL..

RustyBlazerDude is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 EXT, 2001 DTS

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacSTS2003 View Post
    quick ? and i noticed this as well
    which of the plugs does your kit plug into
    i have dug into it yet so please excuse my ignorance but the connector with the kit you sent looks like a connector for a splice pack not a connector for either of the 32 pin plugs on the vcim box (where i assumed you were tapping in)
    is the splice pack where this plugs into higher up where the 2 32 pins branch off from?
    There is a small harness (see pic below) which has 4 connectors on it. The RED and BLUE connectors, go to the VCIM, there is a DB25 that goes to the cellular communicator, and this whole thing ties into the vehicle with the splice pack connector. So as I mentioned a while back, you need to remove this harness, and plug my harness in its place. Mine was located in the trunk.
    Using the splice connector makes for a real simple, and reliable install. Hopefully, this will be common among several models, if not, i will have to make different harnesses. If anyone out there can do a reverse lookup on this harness and tell me what vehicles it was used in, I would know which vehicles this kit would drop right in as is. There might even be a free unit in it for you !!!

The appearance will be even better once manufactured by machines. These boards were all hand soldered and the cables were all hand crimped. I'll have them made by a contract manufacturer if there is sufficient demand.
    Attached Images

So I got mine finally, and I ripped open the box, plugged it in, flipped the switch, and it totally kicked the radio into phone mode... Now the wire hunt begins...

RustyBlazerDude, you totally rock! Thank you so very much!

WooHoo !!!

mike.nite is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by hyperboimmv View Post
    So I got mine finally, and I ripped open the box, plugged it in, flipped the switch, and it totally kicked the radio into phone mode... Now the wire hunt begins...

RustyBlazerDude, you totally rock! Thank you so very much!

I've a 99 STS with the DVD Nav but without onstar. So will this work?

So if it works in Hyper's car it should also work in mine - right?
    Will I need a "Onstar ECM Module" and the Onstar-Mirror ?

Thanks

Looks like I'll be making two version of this product.

The "BlueSTAR" unit, which interface to the motorola HF850 hands free car kit and uses the OnStar mirror buttons and microphone, and passes the audio into the cars amplifier, and...

The "HyperSTAR" (named after HyperBoimmv) which simply mutes the radio over class 2 and is triggered with an external mute input. You can use any bluetooth kit with this version, but it will not interface to the onstar mic, buttons or pass audio to the radio.

The HyperSTAR unit should work in all GM class 2 controlled vehicles without Onstar.

I'll detail all of this again in more detail on my website once I get it up and running. www.costartech.com

Saweeet! I have a product named after me :P

So, I figured I would post a quick update... I have taken lots of pictures, but until I get this permanently mounted, they aren't going to do any good.

Basically, I tore my car apart, taking the rear bottom and top seats out, and the lining out of the top and back of the trunk. I found a harness that I thought was like the one I was looking for, but it ended up not working. I have a car that has Bose in it, so cars with out Bose will work, but not using the same harnesses I am.

I am using a connector on the amp for the bluetooth. It has class2 and telephone audio on it. Basically, connect the class 2 purple wire to one of the purple wires in the connector, and then connect the line level out positive and negative from the bluetooth kit to the positive and negative audio wires on the harness. The low level mute from the hands free kit needs to connect to the yellow wire on the HyperSTAR board. The hands free kit needs to be connected following your user instructions, but I am using a Motorola T605 Wireless Stereo/Car Kit, so I have my 12v+ from the HyperSTAR board connected to the Ignition sense on the t605. I have the ground connected in the same harness as well. Now the only issue I am having is getting the low level mute from the t605 to work. I can't find my multimeter, so I haven't a clue what is going on.

Now, I know the kit works, because I ground the mute wire, make a call, and it comes through the front tweeters. The volume is controlled on the bluetooth kit. There is no need to go to the dealer to have the hands free kit enabled.

This is going to get edited, and I will post pictures when I am done, but I wanted to get my results up. I work tomorrow night, so I am going to spend the night putting my car back together. After taking everything apart, the kit is quite simple to install, once I found a harness I could use.

Attached is a screen shot of the harness I used.

RustyBlazerDude, you totally rock, and thank you for making this, and sending one to me to test.

HySt_Con.png

Okay so for some reason, I can't edit my posts. Well I need to make an addition. The T605 is wired incorrectly from the factory. Motorola swapped the orange (supposed to be audio +) with the yellow (supposed to be mute). That is why I couldn't get my kit to mute when there is activity. I searched for T605 mute on google and found a SAAB board that was talking about it. So, the changes I made are that I am using the amplified audio out to connect to my amplifier, and the orange wire now connects to the HyperSTAR module.

I am getting ready for bed, I have to be up in 5 hours, to go to work, so I haven't finished the install the way I want. I am going to try and find a prototype box to put the module in, and I am going to make a harness for the amp, so I can plug and unplug if necessary. The T605 only uses five wires in the main harness: Red Constant for 12+, Black for Ground, Green for 12+ Ignition, Purple for Audio +, and Grey for Audio -. The HyperSTAR module uses Red for 12+ (I recommend using a switched source, because if the mute is shorted, the amp kicks in with the car off, regardless of radio activity) Grey for ground, Yellow for Mute, and Purple for Class 2 communication. I am trying to think of places to mount my mic, but the pillar is going to have to do for now. I think I am going to mount the T605 under the drivers seat. Before I got this board, I had my center console emptied out, with a 10 foot harness inside, hooked to the T605, because I wasn't sure what I was going to do, or where I was going to mount the stuff, but now that I have a controller and don't need the loud speaker, things are getting moved around.

The only problems I had with the install were from the T605 its self, not from the HyperSTAR. I am amazed at the quality of this board for being hand built. The sound quality is excellent. I can use the handset to control the volume, which is either good or bad, depending how you look at it, but nothing related to this module. This works with the iPhone, and its visual voicemail (read:selling point). For most of you, the BlueSTAR is going to be a plug and go type setup, but for those of us who don't have onstar, a bit of searching for the harness is required, and you will have to take the rear seats out. Once I figured out what I was going to hook up where, it was straight forward. The non-bose systems should be able to use this (read:sls,sts,eldo,deville, presumably any of the radios that have a phone display), so lots of people should be able to make use of this wonderful kit. Now, just in case there is some confusion, you would order BlueSTAR to use with a specific motorola kit that RustyBlazerDude would recommend, and you would want to use it to replace your analog onstar. The HyperSTAR kit is for any type of car kit that has a mute out (relays may be required). No audio goes through the HyperSTAR board.

I will get pics up once I get everything cleaned up, and can do a step by step instruction set to match the pics. RustyBlazerDude, thanks again, I truly am grateful for this. And you have built an amazing product.

very nice
    congrats man
    cant wait to get my kit and test her

so wait
    you can use either the hf850 or the hf650 with the bluestar/hyperstar?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1175389264447

It looks like the "BlueSTAR" will require the HF850 junction box. The HF650 looks completely different.

The "HyperSTAR" should work with ANY hands free kit since it does not interface directly to the kit, it only blanks the radio. But you will need to use the keypad and mic that comes with the hands free kit.

... With my experience, I would not recommend the T605... I have had nothing but trouble.. Besides their harness not being correct, sometimes when I use my iPhone, it decides its going to keep the kit turned on, even after the car is off, requiring me to pull a fuse to let the kit pair my treo... I bought the T605 from a Verizon store, because they were on sale (120, I think), but I am thinking of getting a Parrot 3000 or something simple. I like my ipod too much, so I don't need to stream audio...

*Side note, I still don't understand where my edit post button went.*

*edit: I say that, then the button is on this post only.. This is odd..*

mrgoodbar67 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 Cadillac DTS Deville on Vogues and DTS Blades

i think u can only edit previuos post within the same day

mrgoodbar67 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 Cadillac DTS Deville on Vogues and DTS Blades

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bluetooth-Handsf...QQcmdZViewItem

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-VR3-BLUETOOT...QQcmdZViewItem

ok i really like this bluetooth solution but find it a lil pricey though ill probably still get one.
    i was ebaying just now and found this pretty cool rear view mirror bluetooth gadget.

it fits over the exsting mirror and acts like rbd's product...except it transmits the audio through the radio using an fm freq.
    what i really like about it is the caller id display, voice dialing and earpice that they provide incase privacy is an issue.

just some ideas i threw ouy...but i still like rbds bc of its integration and stock feel/look.

dont think im bashing his solution.
    just be cool if it had caller id etc....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.