OnStar -> Bluetooth Conversion Completed!!! - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, OnStar -> Bluetooth Conversion Completed!!! in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; But the audio goes through a little speaker mounted under my seat. Using his module, the radio switches sources, so ...
    hyperboimmv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 98 Seville SLS, 92 Eldorado ETC, 87 Chrysler Fifth Avenue

Re: OnStar -> Bluetooth Conversion Completed!!!

But the audio goes through a little speaker mounted under my seat. Using his module, the radio switches sources, so its like an auto mute, plus the audio would go through the car stereo instead of the little loudspeaker.

I mean its either this, or connecting relays to the audio out wires on the back of the radio, with some sort of method of preventing amp thump, so when a call comes in, the relays switch over to the hf kit and the sound goes through the radio. I don't want to have that sort of a hacked setup.

RustyBlazerDude is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 EXT, 2001 DTS

Hyper,
    No worries dude, I'll send you a test unit that you can plug into the OBDII connector. I'll put a switch on it for testing that will, in effect, ground the mute wire, and thus send the radio mute command out on to the class2 bus.
    If the radio mutes, than all we have to do is get the audio from your moto module into the amp, get mute from moto along with power and ground into my board, and get class2 data bus connected.

You will have to disconnect whatever onstar system you might have since there is alot of handshaking that goes back and forth in the command and having the real unit installed with mine might confuse things a little.

I have a test cable with an OBDII connector on one side and a DB9 that I'll interface to my board, but you gotta make sure I get it back.

This will in affect, act like a class 2 "lockpick".

It may take a little longer to rig something up for you to test, but I should still be able to get you something to try before the week is out.

And you might want to think about getting an onstar mirror off of ebay and loose that cheesy moto controller and external mic going forward...

I was thinking about getting a mirror already, lol. I was actually thinking of getting one with the compass and temp in one display.

I also sent you an email, so be on the look out. LOL

thu
    thu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville

This is very interesting to me. I've been thinking about building my own Bluetooth interface to my 2003 STS with NAV. I think I have pretty much the same car that CadillacSTS2003 has. Looks like RustyBlazerDude is almost done with his implementation.

I await to see the results - how it operates, etc.

Thanks for your efforts, all of you.

thu

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodbar67 View Post
    Heres a pic of my nav screen displaying what comes on when i hit the "OnStar" or "Phone" button.

Once i press the button, the OnStar lady intros her self and the whole OnStar system "selling pitch".

When its done, the image returns to the normal screen you were on prior to pressing the OnStar button (radio, nav map, cdx,dvd, aux, etc..)

Ive never had the onstar active so i have no idea how the dial pad and phone option work but im sure its just las a phone.

I would love to check if the bluetooth solution that rustyblazerdud came up with on my screen dialpad.
    If it works to its full potential, it would make it even better!
    I don't get that screen when I try to use the built-in phone or the OnStar button. I hear all the normal prompts (e.g. "call", "dial"), but nothing special appears on the Nav screen. The stereo mutes, though. 2003 STS with Factory Nav.

mrgoodbar67 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 Cadillac DTS Deville on Vogues and DTS Blades

thats strange......use the voice recog button on the steering wheel and say "phone" after the beep.
    See what happens

thu

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodbar67 View Post
    thats strange......use the voice recog button on the steering wheel and say "phone" after the beep.
    See what happens
    Yah, I did that. I can control the phone and make calls (if I had the service), etc via voice prompts. I just don't get anything on the NAV screen.

The owner's manual says nothing about anything appearing on the NAV screen, either. Maybe things changed in 2003.

thu

RustyBlazerDude,

As I recall, the steering wheel's phone buttons result in a Class2 message being sent to the car's built-in phone. So, I assume that your module doesn't recognize these buttons since your module doesn't listen for Class2 messages being sent to the phone, right?

I've been thinking of developing a complete Class2 <--> Bluetooth interface for my car for some time now. I just haven't gotten around to it.

Actually, my kit does look for messages coming in on the class2 data bus. And it will respond to volume controls from the steering wheel.

The mute command is actually quite complicated with lots of handshaking required to set it up properly. That's why it took me since Feb. to get it working properly.

There was also some complexity involved in interfacing with the microphone and button circuitry from the onstar system, not to mention emulating keypad and microphone on the moto side as well. Impedance matching etc.

But it's too soon to toot my own horn. Let's wait for some feebdback from the guys who will be testing it...

And Thu, as i said earlier in this thread, it will not put anything on the nav system screen.

Clifton Gardner is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 deville

I would like to get on the wagon for one also. If i am not too late please email me at gcliff1939@aol.com

thu

Rusty,

Oh yes, I forgot that your module responds to commands from the volume controls on the steering wheel. Sorry about that.

If you want me to beta a prototype, too, I'd be happy to do that.

Guys,
    Just wanted to give you a quick progress update on the evals.

I worked on the boards all weekend and they are just about finished, but I am having problems getting good crimps in the harnesses. I ordered a new crimp tool and should hopefully get that in this week. Last thing I want is for you to get a board in and have a wire break off during test. That would be frustrating for both parties.

When they ship, I'll email you tracking numbers.

Sorry for the delay,

RustyBlazerDude.
    Attached Images

AlBundy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado Sport Coupe

I'm interested. I hope this turns out ok.

cadmanchris is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS,2007 STS V8

I'm interested too. Let me know. It's for a 01 DTS also.

So I was thinking on the way to work... How hard would it be to hijack the cd changer communication and make an input for .. Oh, I dunno, my motokit's bluetooth streaming audio ability? What would one have to have to make this possible, hopefully in the same module?

--- Its just a thought, not tryin to stir the pot or anything. ---

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.