OnStar -> Bluetooth Conversion Completed!!! - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, OnStar -> Bluetooth Conversion Completed!!! in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Because I don't have the onstar buttons on my mirror. The 98 didn't come with onstar except as a hand-held ...
    hyperboimmv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 98 Seville SLS, 92 Eldorado ETC, 87 Chrysler Fifth Avenue

Re: OnStar -> Bluetooth Conversion Completed!!!

Because I don't have the onstar buttons on my mirror. The 98 didn't come with onstar except as a hand-held phone option/kit. Basically I would test/buy your board from you, only to use its ability to detect the off hook status of the motokit and send audio and class2 data to the radio to mute and what not. The current onstar setups have two connectors. If I am understanding my schematic correctly, I have one connector, and it was for an optional integrated phone kit that caused the steering wheel controls to go from having temp up/down and fan up/down to temp up/down and send/end.

That makes me wonder, CadillacSTS2003, would I have to have the dealer use the tech2 to tell the car that there is the cellular kit installed before this works? Or do you think that if it gets a mute signal, it will just work?

RustyBlazerDude, I would certainly appreciate any info you give me. Anything that gets me closer to the options I want my car to have is excellent.

xxxxxxxxxdcd9675 is offline Guest
    Automobile(s): Cadillac SRX

If you are still there I am interested in a plug and play solution. let me know how much
    Thanks Dennis

RustyBlazerDude is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 EXT, 2001 DTS

Ok, as promised here are some photos of the viu module that I removed from the DTS' trunk. The part number is Delphi 12201539. If you have this unit, my module should work for you, since this is what my module is emulating. The harness is GM part number 12450687. If you have this, then my kit is plug and play. This harness has three connectors on one side (red and blue connectors plug into VIU, and DB25 connector plugs into cell unit.) The other side has the same connector as my harness. So you need to remove the viu/cell combo and the harness that goes with it. (Actually, you could just remove the harness and eave the viu/cell module, but then you have to find another place to mount my kit.

I also have a manual which shows the pinouts and a little more info on how to use the kit. It's a modified version of the moto manual.

***Note*** This is not ready for prime time yet until you guys have tested it in various vehicles. As i mentioned before, I did this for my vehicle only and have not tested it anything else. Once you guys are happy with it, I can make it available to all. CoSTAR technologies will be the company name and the product will be called the BlueSTAR. but IT IS NOT AVAILABE TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC YET!!!

Hyperboimmv, if you need more info let me know info@costartech.com
    Attached Images
    Attached Files

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

in about 10 seconds i can tell you if it will work or not
    i can use GM esi and see if the pins/plugs match up

quantum is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Looks like I have the same Onstar setup in the 02 DTS!!! Cool!!!

So, Mr. RustyBlazerDude, what is the next step, you need an address from me to send the trial board? E-mail? Money?

I am guessing I'll need to get one of the Motorola HF850 kits too, no problem there, I was going to get one anyway (or something like it).

Let me know, PM is fine or e-mail, either way.

Many, many thanks!

RustyBlazerDude is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 EXT, 2001 DTS

I think I have enough parts from the prototype purchase to build up 4 additional boards and harnesses. I'll work on building them up and testing them this weekend. Send me your addresses to info@costartech.com and I'll mail them out early next week.

You'll have to get the moto kit if you don't already have one. Check e-bay. It must be the HF850 because my board plugs directly into that module.

Quantum looks like a plug and play so he shouldn't have any issues, not sure about the rest of you guys. But whatever car you have, I'll make it work somehow. I'm even thinking of buying one of those nav units from cadillacsts2003. Maybe I can figure out a way to make that work too.

i just sent you an email
    i can def buy the moto kit just shoot a link were you think the best place to get it is
    as for the nav unit we can def work something out later
    as it seems so far the nav/no nav wont really matter your product will work 100% with it except there will be NO WAY to use voice commands on the nav unit as it requires the VCIM which is removed in the installation of "bluestar"

quantum is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

e-mail sent

STS2003 - e-bay is where I found mine.

I guess I do need a bit more info. I am trying to find a cross from the Onstar connectors on the DeVille to the connector on my 98 Seville. So far, I am going to assume the 'ppl' data wire would be the same. I won't need to worry about the LED wires, as there is no led. MIC will be connected to the moto unit along with the keypad. I guess the only wires I need to worry about are the MUTE, Audio +/- to amp, GROUND, Fused Battery, and Ignition Sense. I am assuming you are using the orange wire for your 12+ constant. What wire on your DTS are you using for radio mute?

Here is the cross reference I am getting from following the schematics:

SLS_bt_mod_wir.png

Please tell me what you think. I hope this will work.

hyber im gonna say likely not
    your car needed cell phone equipment for that years onstar
    even if it did have onstar the vcim used had 4 plugs and was controlled via the hand held unit (ie the phone) not an overhead mirror control

im sure using all the wires used in all the systems you COULD get the module correctly wired in but then you have the issue of interfacing it with the controller in your case the impossible to find onstar cell kit

I don't understand what you mean by controller? I mean I am going off of the assumption that the radio/amp, for that year, knows how to handle the class 2 data his board is going to send. If the radio/amp recognizes this as a signal to switch to the audio input, then I am in. I mean, his kit is a total replacement for the onstar hardware. The mirror control is not going to be an issue, because on my dash I have the moto control pod mounted. I also have the mic on my drivers side pillar.

Now, I'm not arguing with you... I am just really wanting this thing to work. :-D

on my system and all later systems the onstar system and what this interface relies on is the mirror acting as a controller for the system
    the 98-00ish onstar system utilized a cell phone to operate the system along with completely different wiring, onstar in those days was an added dealer kit, in 01 and on all newer cars it is hardwired into the entire cars electrical system...

Right, I understand that. All his module is doing is checking the resistance from those buttons and applying them to the motokit's brain as different functions. Instead of the onstar buttons, I will have:

I guess the only way to really find out if this is going to work or not is for him to send me a board that has wires on it that I can connect to the motorola hf brain and to the car.

yea
    then whats the point of buying or using anything from him if you plan to use that as the controller
    you can install that as it sits right now into your car and use that to control it...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.