OnStar -> Bluetooth Conversion Completed!!! - Page 16
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, OnStar -> Bluetooth Conversion Completed!!! in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I have an 08 DTS and am definitely interested in the new kit (I sent an email to your sales ...
    greeman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS

Re: OnStar -> Bluetooth Conversion Completed!!!

I have an 08 DTS and am definitely interested in the new kit (I sent an email to your sales dept through your site). My OnStar subscription runs out in April (thank goodness) and I was looking for a way to have bluetooth without mounting something ugly! I agree with some of the others here, if you market this thing right you should make a mint. Bluetooth is OK, but Onstar I don't like. I'll bet some of the dealerships might even be interested. I know the one I bought my car from will install Parrot Bluetooth in the car for me, but I didn't really want that. I think your kit will be MUCH better. Looking forward to trying this thing out.

greeman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS

I am now looking for the VCIM in my 08 DTS. Has anyone found it? I heard it is behind the seat, but that still covers a lot of territory. I looked around some and found the amplifier there. Does anyone know how to remove the trunk lining? Do those black buttons that hold it on just snap out?..... and if so do the snap back in OK. I plan on finding it this week and ordering Bluestar.

hesaves0211 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 EXT white

if I install the gmx322 I can pretty much do the same correct?

cnty is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

First, I wanted to give some detailed information, so hope the post isnít too long. I donít often post to forums, but since the product was so great I felt I should. I know many of us 2008 CTS owners, actually my wife owns, have been craving a really good Bluetooth option/solution. I think Costar has one.

I got one of these modules about two weeks back and just finished installing it in my wifeís 2008 CTS. It was a pain getting to the VCIM. The module went in easy, after getting to the VCIM. The VCIM for the 2008 is located on the rear deck, so you have to remove the plastic piece that covers it and the speakers. Iíll be honest, for me, removing the rear deck was not fun and I was worried about breaking something. I started by removing the rear seat bottom, more than one time, but each time going a little further. I had to pull up on the corners, back corners that fit under the seat back and it pops out. Then I had to remove the seat back. 4 nuts, that are hidden behind the seat bottom and 4 nuts that protrude into the trunk. My wife has the pass through rear seat, FYI. Then I removed two push in plastic clips that are behind the rear seat back and hold the plastic deck lid cover down. I also loosened\half removed the drivers, rear side, sail panel, thinks thatís what the window tint guys were calling it on-line. Then I had to kind of bend the plastic deck lid cover up, very scary, didnít want to crease it. I was able to get a deep well socket back there and take the one nut off that holds the Onstar module in and it came out. I was worried that the blue tooth module wouldnít fit in the space back there, under the deck cover, but it seems to be fine. I put everything back and feel her car looks as good as it did.

I tested out the range, and fill comfortable that it will pair with a device in the front area of the car, was kind of a worried. I didnít start to lose connectivity until about maybe 15 feet from the module. My wife has a blackberry and it seemed to work well with it. I was able to use the steering wheel controls to place a call, her phone supports voice commands. I was also able to use the rear view mirror buttons. In addition, I was able to scroll to a name on the phone and just use that method. When I powered on the car it did auto connect to the phone. Only thing that I noticed at this point was the touch screen navigation, hang-up button/widget, doesnít hang-up the phone. It does hang-up using the steering wheel, button on the rear-view mirror, or just by the phone. I am realistic though and this is easily acceptable. Instead of saying Onstar on the Navigation screen it says Bluestar or Costar, now canít remember. I know many people might ask if it shows the number dialed on the DIC, think thatís what you all call it, and the answer is no. I never found this to be that great anyway, because of location and readout color, so doesnít bother me.

I tested by myself for about 15 minutes with no issues. I will report back if we have any. One thing for sure, if my wife likes it then it must be good, so we will see.

I did contact Chris at Costar and he always replied promptly. He didnít have any information on the 2008 CTS, except that it should be a 29 bit version, and he was correct. I did send him an email saying he should be able to add the 2008 CTS to his list of vehicles it works in. 2008 pre Onstar Generation 8 owners, I think we have a winner. Good luck and happy bluetoothing.

Rob M.

RustyBlazerDude is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 EXT, 2001 DTS

Thanks for the write up CNTY.

big.eds is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Chris (RustyBlazerDude),
    im am seriously interested in this unit to interface with my 2005 escalade and Iphone 3G. i currently dont subscribe to On* but its fun to push that steering wheel button and listen to someone talk to me and /say cancel and it tells me goodbye....id really like to advance my communications IN-RIDE to full blow bluetooth calls. I have prolly been reading scosche and their bluefusion product BUT after reading the rest of your site, im 99% a go for your product but my questions still remain:

1) is that hiss people were talking bout equipment failure on the production and rampant OR install error and reseating necessary?
    2) will that steering wheel button work to place or answer calls?
    3) do the calls RING through the stereo system?
    4) iPhone compatibility, i read somewhere where you did test iPhones (trailvoy forums) but here Charles had problems.
    5) do you have installation instructions for an escalade (On* location?)

im interested if its functionally compatible no doubt!

Toronto Owner is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by cnty View Post
    First, I wanted to give some detailed information, so hope the post isnít too long. I donít often post to forums, but since the product was so great I felt I should. I know many of us 2008 CTS owners, actually my wife owns, have been craving a really good Bluetooth option/solution. I think Costar has one.

I got one of these modules about two weeks back and just finished installing it in my wifeís 2008 CTS. It was a pain getting to the VCIM. The module went in easy, after getting to the VCIM. The VCIM for the 2008 is located on the rear deck, so you have to remove the plastic piece that covers it and the speakers. Iíll be honest, for me, removing the rear deck was not fun and I was worried about breaking something. I started by removing the rear seat bottom, more than one time, but each time going a little further. I had to pull up on the corners, back corners that fit under the seat back and it pops out. Then I had to remove the seat back. 4 nuts, that are hidden behind the seat bottom and 4 nuts that protrude into the trunk. My wife has the pass through rear seat, FYI. Then I removed two push in plastic clips that are behind the rear seat back and hold the plastic deck lid cover down. I also loosenedhalf removed the drivers, rear side, sail panel, thinks thatís what the window tint guys were calling it on-line. Then I had to kind of bend the plastic deck lid cover up, very scary, didnít want to crease it. I was able to get a deep well socket back there and take the one nut off that holds the Onstar module in and it came out. I was worried that the blue tooth module wouldnít fit in the space back there, under the deck cover, but it seems to be fine. I put everything back and feel her car looks as good as it did.

I tested out the range, and fill comfortable that it will pair with a device in the front area of the car, was kind of a worried. I didnít start to lose connectivity until about maybe 15 feet from the module. My wife has a blackberry and it seemed to work well with it. I was able to use the steering wheel controls to place a call, her phone supports voice commands. I was also able to use the rear view mirror buttons. In addition, I was able to scroll to a name on the phone and just use that method. When I powered on the car it did auto connect to the phone. Only thing that I noticed at this point was the touch screen navigation, hang-up button/widget, doesnít hang-up the phone. It does hang-up using the steering wheel, button on the rear-view mirror, or just by the phone. I am realistic though and this is easily acceptable. Instead of saying Onstar on the Navigation screen it says Bluestar or Costar, now canít remember. I know many people might ask if it shows the number dialed on the DIC, think thatís what you all call it, and the answer is no. I never found this to be that great anyway, because of location and readout color, so doesnít bother me.

I tested by myself for about 15 minutes with no issues. I will report back if we have any. One thing for sure, if my wife likes it then it must be good, so we will see.

I did contact Chris at Costar and he always replied promptly. He didnít have any information on the 2008 CTS, except that it should be a 29 bit version, and he was correct. I did send him an email saying he should be able to add the 2008 CTS to his list of vehicles it works in. 2008 pre Onstar Generation 8 owners, I think we have a winner. Good luck and happy bluetoothing.

Rob M.
    Rob sounds fabulous I've been wating for this type of result - happy to read your success!

lavaman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V, White, Auto, all options (Traded for a Tahoe)

CNTY,

Thank you for posting! It was very helpful in locating the VCIM. I wish I had read your post prior to installing my BlueStar module. I had the glove box out, the center console apart, the front dash panel off and the trunk liner pieces out. While all of that was un-necessary at least I now know that all the screws I removed are securley reinstalled.

I received the BlueStar this afternoon and once I knew where to find the Onstar module it took me about 45 minutes to install it.

I have a few items of installation advice to add. Hopefully this will help others that will be installing this excellent device.

BTW, For the 08 CTS the VCIM module is located on the drivers side of the rear deck, it is the only aluminum encased module on the rear deck. All the other modules are black plastic. There are 3 electrical connectors (2 white and 1 black) along with what seemed to be 2 antenna connections. Only the 2 white connectors are used with the BlueStar unit. The others are left unplugged.

To perform my install I removed the rear deck cover completly. I followed your instructions up until I had the module loose. Then I found it necessary to expose the entire area. The lone bolt that holds the onstar module in place comes up from the bottom of a plastic tray. With the cover removed I was able to lift up the tray and remove the bolt that would have otherwise rattled around. To remove the cover it was necessary to first remove both side panels. To do this, start by popping out the rectangular piece that says "Air Bag" then remove the screw underneath it (7mm socket). Then pull the panel loose. There is teathered clip that must be slid off of the panel to get the panel out of the way. Slide it down the seat belt and set aside. Once the side panels are off the deck cover can be removed. While I had the cover off (To help insure a quiet ride) I rattled every wire, speaker and module and secured things with wire ties and foam filler pieces.

I secured The BlueStar/Motorolla module with 3m reclosable fasteners and stuck it down where the VCIM used to be.

I then tried the system. It worked just as Rob described so I put the car back together. I am pleased with it so far and I think it performs just as it is advertised. I'll give it a couple days and post again.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by chazglenn3 View Post
    Now, I have a new problem. I recently bought an iPhone and sadly the iPhone doesn't appear to be compatible with the Motorola HF850 that the BlueSTAR uses. Anyone here using the iPhone with their BlueSTAR?
    can you share what kinda problems youre having
    im undersatnding the delays can be longer than wanted...what bout outgoing...are they 100% working?
    any insight as im highly interested in trying this out

Quote Originally Posted by crusher View Post
    I recently bought two PNP units for a 2003 and 2005 Escalade. Products work perfectly as advertised. Also, I contacted Chris about a problem that I created during installation and all I can say is the custom service and Chris are the best. Love the product and love the company....
    im thinking of installing this into an 2005 escalade...what "problems" did you create and how was it solved?

So far no real problems. My wife did comment on a few seconds delay when calling people, but that is about it.

-Rob

Quote Originally Posted by lavaman View Post
    CNTY,

Thank you for posting! It was very helpful in locating the VCIM. I wish I had read your post prior to installing my BlueStar module. I had the glove box out, the center console apart, the front dash panel off and the trunk liner pieces out. While all of that was un-necessary at least I now know that all the screws I removed are securley reinstalled.

I received the BlueStar this afternoon and once I knew where to find the Onstar module it took me about 45 minutes to install it.

I have a few items of installation advice to add. Hopefully this will help others that will be installing this excellent device.

BTW, For the 08 CTS the VCIM module is located on the drivers side of the rear deck, it is the only aluminum encased module on the rear deck. All the other modules are black plastic. There are 3 electrical connectors (2 white and 1 black) along with what seemed to be 2 antenna connections. Only the 2 white connectors are used with the BlueStar unit. The others are left unplugged.

To perform my install I removed the rear deck cover completly. I followed your instructions up until I had the module loose. Then I found it necessary to expose the entire area. The lone bolt that holds the onstar module in place comes up from the bottom of a plastic tray. With the cover removed I was able to lift up the tray and remove the bolt that would have otherwise rattled around. To remove the cover it was necessary to first remove both side panels. To do this, start by popping out the rectangular piece that says "Air Bag" then remove the screw underneath it (7mm socket). Then pull the panel loose. There is teathered clip that must be slid off of the panel to get the panel out of the way. Slide it down the seat belt and set aside. Once the side panels are off the deck cover can be removed. While I had the cover off (To help insure a quiet ride) I rattled every wire, speaker and module and secured things with wire ties and foam filler pieces.

I secured The BlueStar/Motorolla module with 3m reclosable fasteners and stuck it down where the VCIM used to be.

I then tried the system. It worked just as Rob described so I put the car back together. I am pleased with it so far and I think it performs just as it is advertised. I'll give it a couple days and post again.

Doug
    Doug,

Thanks for letting me know about the the rectangular airbag piece removal. I got scared away from this because I was reading some window tint installer forums and they all said, "just dont remove the airbag cover" Now I know that it would make things easier if I ever had to put the onstar module back in to trade the car in, or something along that line.

-Rob

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

Quote Originally Posted by big.eds View Post
    can you share what kinda problems youre having
    im undersatnding the delays can be longer than wanted...what bout outgoing...are they 100% working?
    any insight as im highly interested in trying this out
    It works fine on outgoing calls, but takes about 10 secs to connect on incoming calls. I think I have finally got all of the people that usually call me trained to wait a bit if they don't hear me right away.

TMW597 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

We've got to get some video of this device in action posted up on YouTube or somewhere. Seeing this in action will really help folks get an idea of how it works. It answers and settled a lot of questions. It will be nice to see what the display shows with incoming and outgoing calls. I know that's what sold me on the GMLockPick products. (Mine actually work!)

evil0ne is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV

Any 29bit Escalade Owners try this yet?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.