Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Upgrading sotfware for a -02 navi

11K views 39 replies 11 participants last post by  sdrn48 
#1 ·
Hi

I'm wondering if I can use the service update CD with GM part. no. 19115256 for my -02 Delphi (Denso) DVD-based stock navigation unit or do I have to use another one?
The reason I ask is that since this car is sold in Europe I have the RPO code
U3S.
Your domestic ones have the RPO code U3R or U3Q.

Any info would be appreciated since the dealers here in Sweden hasn't got a clue..

#4 ·
The question I really need an answer to is if it's going to hurt anything if I choose to upgrade the firmware...I was thinking U3S with different options than your domestic ones can go bad if I choose the wrong update CD.
Or is it just one for all three RPO:s..the U3S, U3Q and U3R?

#5 · (Edited)
Ohhhh...
hummm
the problem lies in the fact that p/n is discontinued and probably will not be found anywhere
i have a copy of the disc along with the upload instructions and have used it to flash bricked navs but idk about a UK nav if it was Japan id say sure but the euro nav had the different am/fm band tuner frequencies....

your BEST bet is to pull your nav
the instructions i have state the software can ONLY be sure to flash navs with these part numbers
if your navs GM part number matches any of them

#6 ·
Ok, I already have a copy of the disc on it's way home :)
But I was hoping not to pull the unit since I don't want to scratch or break anything..

How do I remove the unit? If I can just get the top plastic of in one piece then the rest will hopefully be obvious.

#11 · (Edited)
Ok. I pulled the unit and wrote down the part. no.
Gm no. is 25740478
Denso no. is 462200-8032

So it seems that this software update is not suitable for my system..
There must be updates since they are selling maps for my STS..
I checked and according to the TSB i have from Cadillac & Corvette Europe
the same maps are used in STS 02-04. SRX 04-06, XLR 04-07.
But of course they don't know what I'm atalking about..

#13 ·
Some dealers says that it is not possible to use a map newer than 04, this is because the main parts importer/distributor for GM says it can't be done.
They have interpreted the column in the TSB that says Seville MY02-04
with February 2004 for road map data....I know since I tried to tell them that there are maps for 2007 and 2008 out. They tell me I'm wrong but still I have a 2007 road map disc right here.
Others says that it can be done but they never manage to get info about the updates...
I've tried Cadillac Sweden with no luck and when I tried Cadillac & Corvette Europe they referred me back to a dealer.
I've tried most of the dealer in the souther and middle parts of Sweden...they either don't know or tell me that there are no maps newer than 2004 to my car...funny since I have the part. no right here for a 2008 map to a 2002 STS..

Do you think it's done via a Tech2?

#16 ·
Denso is of no help trust me on this
if you were under warranty i was gonna say run the disk anyways and if it locks go to the dealer act stupid and get a new nav....
idk what to tell you at this point i mean im very experienced with these systems but i dont wanna tell you something that locks up your navigation system...

#17 ·
Hmm, I've heared that the software update supposedly are on the new map DVD:s (from dubious sources I might add).
When I looked at the file structure on my old discs the structure looks like this:
Volume is 464210-6040A
ALLDATA.KWI
DICVCE56.KWI
INDEXDAT.KWI
KGRPDAT.KWI
METADATA.KWI
SPEC.KWI
VERSION.TXT
VIRTUAL0.DAT
VIRTUAL1.DAT

The new disc looks like:
Volume is 464210-6530
05.CMP
ALLDATA.KWI
DICVCE56.KWI
INDEXDAT.KWI
KGRPDAT.KWI
METADATA.KWI
SPEC.KWI
STDKIR.KWI
STDVCE.KWI
VERSION.TXT
VIRTUAL0.DAT
VIRTUAL1.DAT

I was hoping that the odd files had something to do with the software update...

#19 ·
Yes I've tried the new map DVD and everything looks fine except that I can't enter any adress, select POI:s etc. all menus are selectable but they don't do anything.
Just as the disclaimer on the back of the map-DVD says
"For vehicles built prior to 2007, a service CD update may be required to use the DVD map disc.
If the adress destination entry no longer functions with this map disc, please see your dealership for the service update"
The map DVD loads but the player goes on and on just if it was stuck or something. The arrow doesn't move when driving either. When I switch back to the old map DVD everything works just fine..

#21 ·
to be honest
i would guess its a firmware rewrite
it basically come down to what your willing to do
if you want to use the latest disc you have to do the firmware upgrade
if it erases your drive beyond function your looking at 1k for a new uk unit from schram or 4k from the dealer
if you think its worth the risk i say go for it
if it was me, id probably do it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.