The Right Way to Wire in an amp for aftermarket subs
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, The Right Way to Wire in an amp for aftermarket subs in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Okay guys, Over the past couple of weeks I have been researching how to wire in an amp to run ...
    danssts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

The Right Way to Wire in an amp for aftermarket subs

Okay guys,
    Over the past couple of weeks I have been researching how to wire in an amp to run 2 12" subs in my 99 sts from a stock head unit. I could not find anything on here as to a good way to do it. I didnt want to wire my remote wire to my antenna and did not want to buy an loc for the inputs. Here is how to wire in your system and make it sound like it is running off a aftermarket hu.

The positive and negative wire can be simply be wired in to the battery under the seat.

I searched everywhere under the dash for a wire with power in on and acc position, however out of all the wires under there, I could not find any, so dont bother trying.

The remote wire goes to the fusebox (fuse #12) on the fused side, not the hot side. Push the wire in with the fuse, this is the easiest way and then drill a hole in the plastic cover so that the wire can be put through and look clean. Run the wire to the amp. This wire will now have power with the car on or running, not in acc position.

I am running a sony explode amp and it happens to have rca inputs and another input where 4 wires can be plugged in via a plug. Not all amps have this, however this will work for rca's. The way to do this is simply tap into the rear sub wires (this will give you an amplified signal which is what you want!) I tapped 2 wires into the pos, and 2 into the neg, and ran them to the amp. For rca's you will have to cut one end off and tap into the rear speakers, the rca connectors will go to the amp. I know this seems kind of ghetto but this eliminates the need for an loc and quality is still great.

Throw your sub box in and run your speaker wire to the subs from the amp. I ran 8 guage wire for the pos and neg, and 14 guage for the remote wire.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: The Right Way to Wire in an amp for aftermarket subs

I can clarify anything I said if there are any questions. I quickly wrote that so hopefully it makes some sense.
    -Dan

Oldman Cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 SRX

Can I use a "rca converter"? I thought that was the way to hook up to the sub (original) speaker wire. I have an expensive sub I'd like to get my moneys worth.

Yes you can buy and input convertor for your rca input, however I used one and wasn't impressed, it sounds the same as it does now. I am running 2 12" jbl worth about 250 a piece new. Look into loc convertor, which gives you a remote wire and rca connections and is about $20.

stillen is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Good luck with it.

Oldman Cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 SRX

Cool, I'll look for one. Thanks. ...now I can finally listen to something other than radio commercials.

still_walkin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac deville sedan

sounds ok with the wiring the remote wire. my question is when the car is in acc you have no subwoofer right. but if you have your subwoofers feeding of your rear signal thats less than 50 watts amplifed thats a weak signal when you amlpify a week signal you get distortion . the way i would have done it if its a stock radio and it seems get a rca convertor. it sounds liek you dont want to cut and drill your car up understandable but did you put a inline fuse on your amp power line you didnt list that pics would help 2

mmarinov is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Smile Re: The Right Way to Wire in an amp for aftermarket subs

Thanks a million for this post!

I just did my 2000 STS today (kept the Bose factory setup; added my 2 12" JL Audio subs with Eclipse amp from the Eldorado). Your work made this install a BREEZE.

Thanks again for the spot-on advice.

Mark

capital10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville

am attempting to hook up an aftermarket sub and amp in my 2001 deville, i saw your post about the correct way to hook an amp up, i had a couple questions for you.

i first tried the LOC converter that i got from best buy and it works but not everytime, if i turn the car on ans the sub is not working i have to tap the converter box and then it send the signal through to the sub and it works fine, so i thought it had a short and returned it, but the new one did the exact same thing.

after reading your post i went to radio shack and got a cord from them that had speaker wire on one end and an RCA on the other end, got 2 of them, hook one up to the left and one to the right then both RCAs into the amp, and it carried no sound, i am splicing it from the speaker wire that was going to the factory sub.

when you did it how did you wire from the sub speaker wire to the amp?

thanks for your help,
    Scott

ar you hooking the aftermarket sub with a amp or you using factory wires. also stock hu or aftermarket hu

stock hu and using the stock wires that were running to the factory sub I spliced them with the wires on the loc and still no luck it works for a min then if I shutthe car off when I turn t back on the sub has no audio and I'm on my third loc and still same result

check the subs terminals and see if they are secure. sounds like they are loose

are you talking about the speaker wire from the amp to the sub, i checked that, and its nice an tight, i have now tried 4 different LOC's and all the same result, if i hook them up while the system is off i get no sound when i turn it on, but if its on and i remove the wires and retwist them together it works fine and will work fine til i turnt he car off then back on them i get sound again. i am going crazy, do you think it would make a difference it i remoed the radio and spliced speaker wires from behind the radio.

i know the factory sub wires were good cause the factory sub worked fine all the time.

if i was to try to cut the end off an RCA cable how would i splices the wires together from that?

you can try splicing an rca but your gonna get a humming noise out of the sub. try splicing the rear speaker to see if you get the same results. if you are postive its not the wire check the sub on a different setup or a home radio. also if your adding a aftermarket amp to the factory wires to the sub that could be your problem them does your caddy have bose.

it's a delco system, one thing that I thought of is that I didn't tap into the sub wires I disconnected them from the factory sub so it's no longer connected, when I get home I am going to rehook up to the factory sub and tap into those wires in case the car is not sending the sgnal to the sub cause it's not connected, just something I'm going to try. If not then I will test it with my home reciever

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.