97 eldo W/bose confused..
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, 97 eldo W/bose confused.. in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; i have read threw the forum and have gotten a bit confused, i have the factory bose system and being ...
    Twill08 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 97:ETC

97 eldo W/bose confused..

i have read threw the forum and have gotten a bit confused, i have the factory bose system and being 10 years old it still sounds good but i kind of want more so after reading i have a few ?'s

1. if i get a new HU i have to re-wire everything? true or false i have read that people have gotten away with it, i thought bose would not work with anything other than bose? will it really not work or will it just sound like shit

2. say i just wanted to add subs and keep the factory HU, can i tap the back speaker deck, has this worked well for people who did it?

3. or should i just say F it and re do the whole system at one time?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

EldoradoRidinDirty is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldorado 2DR ETC

Re: 97 eldo W/bose confused..

twill,
    I have a 93 eldo, and just a week ago i installed a subwoofer and amp without ever touching the head unit. I have the BOSE upgraded audio system, and the sterio module is in the trunk... but it dosent matter what kind of system you run... all you need is the wiring from the rear speakers. Go out to best buy or sircuit city and walk into the car audio installation garage/bay, and ask to buy a Line Output Converter. It will be between 20 and 30 dollars, and i have found them to work well. Now i will tell you that the sound quality will not match that of a sub amp wired from an aftermarked unit with RCA wires, but it will give the amp the signal it needs to put out the bass that you want.
    The next step is to wire the converter into the rear speakers. Now again BE CAREFULL, this can be screwed up in many ways... First of all.. if you have bose speakers, there is an amplifier attached to each speaker, and in the group of wires is a power lead. If you splice into the power wire, you could potentially mess up the cars audio system, and the converter. I suggest getting a wiring diagram from somewhere.
    Go to this website: http://www.sjcpls.org/referencetools3.aspx and go the the link for auto repair... fallow it through to your exact vehicle and print out your audio system wiring diagram.
    After this, it is fairly simple... you splice your posative and negative wires for each of the speakers, and you dont need the ground attached to anything in the converter. You might need to make an extension wire(s) to reach the farther of speakers, because the wires coming from the converter are only like 6 inches long. If you DO have the base eyestm , and you locate the module (near antenna) in the trunk.... you can access all of the wires in one convenient spot.
    I suggest using crimped connections, but if you dont have a crimper.. make sure when you splice into the wires that you dont break the continuity (electric flow) to any of the speaker wires... because obviously, you would not get sound from that speaker.
    Now im not sure what your EXACT car uses for wires, but in my bose system in my 93 eldo, the PINK wire running to the antenna is the signal wire if the radio is on or off. It also tells the antenna (on my car) to extend and retract. Splice into the pink wire as your remote, and this will tell the amp to turn on and off.
    Other than that, just run the RCA cables from the converter to the amp, and get a power and ground into the trunk and your set.
    Now make sure to double check that all the wires that you splice into are the PROPER ones. You wouldnt want to screw anything up in your caddy that is allready fine. This is why it is CRUTIAL for you to get the wiring diagram, because i dont know if the wire colors are differant from one system to another.

Twill08 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 97:ETC

thanks man i forgot that i posted this because the same day i took the covers out of the trunk and noticed a line out converter in there with the RCA cords tucked away so whoever had this car before wired it all up, now i just need to find a disk changer cause it seems to missing

EldoradoRidinDirty is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldorado 2DR ETC

no problem dude, just remember.. think twice if you ever think about replacing the bose system with an aftermarket deck and speakers. The ENTIRE interior needs to be dis-assembled and rewired, including removing the door panels... not to mention each door needs a custom built enclosure to even fit any other speaker besides the bose ones. I am on my 3rd day of installing the system, and i have done it to countless other vehicles...Thanks delco-bose hahhaha
    Oh and if you are interested, i will be posting a thread with pictures of my customizations to get the new speakers and head unit installed.
    good luck with your system!
    -A

BigOLak is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

EldaradoRidinDirty

You don't know how much that link helped me out! I have been searching everywhere to find a wiring diagram for my 1996 Deville. I just got and am not sure if it's amped or not, but what I do know is I have the data bus lines to contend with so the diagrams you help me get will be a huge help in figuring out how I want to setup my system. Oh and I'll be waiting on your next thread about the new speakers and headunit!!
    YOU ARE BOSS!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.