Ported box design (Please double check these numbers)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, Ported box design (Please double check these numbers) in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I'm trying to build a box out of my midgate in my 03 EXT and keep it functional. I have ...
    Caddydude420 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Ported box design (Please double check these numbers)

I'm trying to build a box out of my midgate in my 03 EXT and keep it functional. I have 2 Image Dynamic IDQ12 D4 V.2 run by a Zapco Studio 500. Specs can be found here:
    http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/pdf/IDQ12%20D4%20V2.pdf

Subthump.com used to have a nice looking box, but it's no longer on their site. It's a little too much airspace for my subs and not going to be available for a couple of months again.

it can be seen here:
    http://www.subthump.com/avalanchemidgate.htm

It had 1.16 cu ft per sub. Looking at the spec sheet for the subs, the box is more airspace than I want for sealed (.85 normal, 1.0 large.) If you look at image tim4.jpg, you can see that the box has a cut out where the wires are that seems pretty unnecessary. It's actually for a flap so you don't have a gap when you put the wall down. I'll just remove that flap to avoid the extra cuts. I pretty sure I can get to the recommended 1.25 cu ft for a normal ported box.

I can figure out the dimensions for the most part myself, I really have no clue when it comes down to porting it though. I know the box won't be over 14.375" deep so making the port may cause a problem.

I was messing around with this box builder: http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm (see the attachment for the figures it gave me - I used:
    height=10" (really the depth)
    width=46" (able to fit up to 47" wide)
    depth1=12" (back of the box, needs to be angled so the midgate can fold down)
    depth2=15" (front face of the box)
    wood thickness = .75"
    speaker displacement= .07
    port frequency = 30

I think those are the dimensions I can get while keeping the midgate functional. I built a test box out of cardboard today and those specs work. I have a little room to play with with the depth and overall height (especially if I remove that flap

From the data sheet, I decided to go with the midsized ported box with a frequency of 30 hz. It seems like I got nearly the perfect volume if this comes out as planned. I tried using 3" ports, but the port length came out too long. I tried 4" but that was even worse. 2" port worked.

Before I go through the trouble of building this and it sounding like poop, can someone with some knowledge double check this. Again, I'm a newbie when it comes to ported box designs. I could easily figure out a sealed box (I would go with the Large - 1 cuft. per sub) but I want it LOUD!

I have a free weekend coming up and I hope to build this then. I'd REALLY appreciate it if someone can check those number out before I do so. Thanks again.

Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

3. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.