Aux In for SRX/CTS with No Nav/No Bose/No XM?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, Aux In for SRX/CTS with No Nav/No Bose/No XM? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hello all, Some of you may know me from MP3Car.com; I wrote a pretty popular XM Direct - Carputer guide ...
    Prindle19 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Aux In for SRX/CTS with No Nav/No Bose/No XM?

Hello all,

Some of you may know me from MP3Car.com; I wrote a pretty popular XM Direct - Carputer guide over there - which I wrote back when I was setting up my first carputer in a Ford Explorer.

In that install, I simply replaced the stock radio with an aftermarket radio which had an AUX input and I was good to go.

Well, I just bought a 2004 SRX and it has the bottom of the line stereo:

No Nav
    No Bose
    No XM

That's all ok because my carputer is paid for and still blows away anything you could get OEM and IMHO anything you could get aftermarket.

But - here's my problem - I can't figure out how to "EASILY" add an AUX in to my stock radio.

I'd dump the whole stock radio notion if GM hadn't ridiculously integrated not only all of the car computer information, but also the OnStar, Backup, etc, etc into the radio!

I know there is the PAC option with allows you to retain all of the audio functionality of the stock system with an aftermarket radio, but I'd like the MPG, temperature, etc info as well.

Also, that harness is expensive and then I'd have to add something with a SWIX interface to do anything with the steering wheel controls. More $$.

Alright - so today I wanted to figure out if there was a way to essentially tap into the audio from the CD changer (what is 6 CD's worth of non mp3 music worth when you have a computer).

I didn't see anything in the cadillacfaq's about this -so I took the whole radio apart and ultimately found the tiny little ribbon cable that I'm pretty sure would be impossible for me to solder into to replace the CD changer audio with.

My plan would have been to just have a "blank CD" or "blank track" that would play nothing and let the carpture audio override it.

But - that plan would also require me to keep the cd changer in place - which would be exactly where I want to install the 7" Xenarc touch screen.

So now my new course of action is to figure out how to tap into the C3 Connector on the Radio to simply send my AUX audio in.

I've read 2 CadillacFAQ's

The first is how to add (or replace) an AUX in if you have the factory XM.

The second is on how to add a "Factory like" XM interface using the XM Direct.

(I have an XM Direct but I'm quite happy with the way that my carputer utilizes it!)

Using the C3 connector, I would connect to the C3 as follows

C3 - Pin 1 - Left Audio
    C3 - Pin 3 - Right Audio
    C3 - Pin 4 - Audio Common (Ground)

This is all I want to do - I don't want to buy all the harnesses mentioned in that 2nd tutorial because I simply won't be able to use them.

What I'd like to do is just make those 3 wire additions and then I would go to the dealership and overpay to have someone use a Tech2 for 3 minutes and enable the XM band on my radio.

But....I have a sneaking suspicion that this will not work -- because even if the Tech2 device tells the radio to add the XM band, I'm almost certain that the stock radio will only actually switch to that input if it senses something on the Class2 busthat identifies itself as an XM unit.

Am I right? Or is it possible that this would work - just the 3 wires.

Now for the second question - how the heck to I get the wires to connect to the terminals on the C3 connection with that adapter in the way?

Or, how do I make my own custom pins to slip into that adapter?

Thanks!

Sean

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

Re: Aux In for SRX/CTS with No Nav/No Bose/No XM?

do you have XM?

Umm... I "have XM" in the sense that I have 3 subscriptions 1 of which is on my XM Direct - but my SRX does not have a factory XM..

yuh i just realized i completely missed that in the title
    could you do what the CTS boys did and take apart the factory radio keep the screen for a dic and remount a newer radio in the new hole?

Yep - prior to posting I read through that but:

A) They don't preserve the audio alerts
    B) They don't preserve the steering wheel controls.
    C) They require wiring in a whole other head unit.

I guess what would be most useful would be for someone that has done the mod to add an XM direct to the stock radio - would be to unhook the connection from the C1 (Class2 connection) and see if going into XM band still works (for the audio in...could test with an IPOD, etc) even if there is nothing connected on that band in the Class2.

well if ur hell bent on it ill be happy to help
    i have classes till 9 pm 2night but after i will start looking at wiring schematics

DanDan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

It can be done but you will need an aux input adapter and have to hard wire it.

DanDan

Dan Dan - any more info?

When you say Aux In adapter do you mean an aftermarket type?

Last night I wired up a simple 3 wire connector which goes from 2 RCA jacks (4 wires) down to 3 wires (common is shared) I had planned to add these to the C3 connector.

Also, DanDan - when you say "hard wire it" do you mean simply adding the wires into the C3? or will I have to do something with the Class2 connection to "fake" an XM connection?

Probably should of gave more info. Just get an interface for a 06 escalade, say like peripheal and you have to cut the wires from the end and hard wire it to the cts. I do them all the time. Throw away the connector you made as that won't work. You will need to add 3 pins to the cts connector. You will tap your power and ground in the radio harness. You will also need to connect the class 2 data line to the interface. You will also probably need to program the radio to tell it there is a xm radio. The only other problem you could have is whether the radio will even support it. Take the radio out and see what name is the manufacturer. If it is VDO and made in Germany it most likely will not work. I have had some of these work but it is a crap shoot. I mostly had problems with the 03 radios. The plugs used on a srx are older Vw plugs. So it is easy to get the pins with the wires already attached. It takes me 20 minutes to install these. You can even add an I pod interface the same way if you want. If your looking for just an aux input, that is the way to go. You just have to hard wire it and program the radio, if it has not been done already.

DanDan

what is the class 2 data line going to connect to?
    What do you mean "Say like peripheal"?

A schematic or some pics of this would help a lot, DanDan!

Tonight I ran a wire (with fuse) from my battery through the firewall (not fun) to serve as my 12V+ and tapped the ground from the C3 connector, and the 12V+ accessory from the HVAC Purple wire (Pin 7) for me.

I used these 3 wires to power my Carnetix 1260 (Car PC DC-DC regulator + PC Startup Shutdown Controller) - from the Carnetix I will power the PC + the Xenarx touch screen as I did in my Explorer. On that same realy I used to run my aftermarket radio utilizing the delay ON from the Carnetix - but that shouldn't be necessary this time around.

I picked up an Audiovox wired FM modulator from Circut City today - and i was actually OK with how it sounded. (much, much cleaner than any wireless FM modulator i've ever used, that is for sure!

I temporarily hooked the FM modulator up to the 12V out of the Carnetix, and it worked fine as expected.

I did have to pick up an antenna adapter from Advanced Autoparts - but the "universal GM adapter" apparently doesnt include the proprietary Cadillac antenna - that will have to go back.

For now I guess I'll go with the wired FM modulator route since the sound is OK and the unit does a good job at completely blocking out any interference on the channel.

I'm playing MP3's and XM and DVD's only - its not going to kill me to not have a PERFECT connection...I hope
    Kinda sucks that it isn't a straight AUX connection, but unless DanDan can come through with a schematic to follow I'm gonna have to accept it.

Hopefully tomorrow I can start the fun of routing the cables to the trunk for the carputer and maybe gut the CD changer out to make room for the touch screen and move the carnetix to the inside of the radio for better ventilation.

Probably won't be able to start the bondo mess until next week...

class 2 data line is one of the purple wires going into the radio. I assumed you had a schematic. peripheal is the company that makes the aux input. You have to adapt an escalade one to your car. Cut wires and hard wire it. You will not get a schematic from me as I am not able to post one here. computer illiterate! It is easy to do. I know I am not spelling peripheal correctly but search the internet and look for a aux input for an 05 or 06 escalade, there a quite a few manufacturers. Knowing the wiring plugs for the escalade is imperative as you need to transfer them to the srx.

DanDan

ok so DanDan has this covered do you know what your doing now?

no - dandan said he wasnt even sure this would work - i dont see how it can unless the peripheral reports that it is SOMETHING to the radio over the Class2 wire - and even if it does announce it as "something" would the radio even care?

ok so back up

you just want an aux in on your radio correct?
    and you rather not buy an interface to do it correct?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.