04 DHS BOSE Radio Replacement
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, 04 DHS BOSE Radio Replacement in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Disclaimer: I have read posts on this site about 30 times. They have answered all my questions except for the ...
    ophedian is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Question 04 DHS BOSE Radio Replacement

Disclaimer: I have read posts on this site about 30 times. They have answered all my questions except for the following ones:

1) I am going to replace my indash 04 BOSE Radio with an after market radio. I have seen kits mentioned that address everything from Chimes to OnStar functionality. However, no one has mentioned if there is a kit that STILL allowed them to use the built in phone to make regular phone calls. Is this yet another kit? For example one kit for OnStar, Chimes, Bose harness interface, another for the steering wheel controls to work, AND another for the built in phone? What interfaces the built in phone so that you can hear the dialed calls or is this part of the OnStar system? By the way, when I mean phone I am talking about the Verizon phone which comes in the 04 DeVille.

2) I am planning on ONLY upgrading the Subwoofer on this vehicle from a 10"(factory) free-air sub to a 12" free-air after market sub to add a fuller lower end. So I need to know, what is the factory BOSE amp wattage output and is the factory 10" single or Dual coil? What Ohm(s) is it running at so I can match the impedance of the new 12" subwoofer?

3) For other reasons that will take to long to explain, I want to be able to input five additional Audio sources. In home theater equipment you can buy a switch that has priority assigned inputs. For example, input 1 overrides input 2, input 3 overrides input 2. Basically allowing the system to automatically switch audio inputs based on which device is turned on automatically. Is there equipment like this available in the Car Audio market?

Your help is greatly appreciated..

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mrgoodbar67 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 Cadillac DTS Deville on Vogues and DTS Blades

Re: 04 DHS BOSE Radio Replacement

well bro,
    the onstar phone system is tied into the phone system.
    which means you cant have one with out the other.

if im not mistaken, inorder for you to have your in-car phone system working, you must either buy an EXPENSIVE minutes package from onstar and have onstar active, OR have onstar active and have it tied in with a shareplan from Verizon and your currently existing cellphone plan, if you already have a contract with them. the plan acts as a family plan where you share minutes between you car and cellphone. if you do not already have a phonw with verizon, you will need to activate a phone with them and proceed with the sharplan. Onstar would hook it up for you.

which one do you have?

to answer your question though-one interface for all chimes,boseand onstar (phone)

though they also have an interface out that is for cars without onstar.....just for chimes and bose...........i think
    but if you indeed have onstar, youll need the full onstar/bose /chimes interface.

Arrow Re: 04 DHS BOSE Radio Replacement

Thanks for the quick response MrGoodBar... Glad to hear that I can still use my phone.

To answer your question, I have the Verizon shared plan. However, in order to get the Verizon Shared plan i had to update the OnStar equipment to the digital receiver and Antennae do to the 2008 analog support issues. [Yep, dealership]. It was basically $15 plus a one year subscription to OnStar.

I am assuming since you did not answer the other two questions that you do not know the answer

Thanks

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

how do you plan on fitting a 12 into a 10 spot...

Smile Re: 04 DHS BOSE Radio Replacement

Excellent Question:

1) I am assuming that the current subwoofer is "undermount," meaning that the actual subwoofer is mounted to some type of metal frame beneath the rear shelf. If this is the case, this means that the subwoofer grill is actually simply put there to cover over the speaker whole and is not part of the actual speaker mounting.

2) if the above is correct, when mounting the new 12" I would simply drill new mounting wholes, approximately four in the bottom metal support frames of the rear shelf. The whole would be centered around the current subwoofer placement. So this would in reality only require 1" clearance each side of the current subwoofer.

3) I would undermount the new subwoofer and check for top excursion clearance. If required I can get bolt spacers (Most hardware stores have them) to add more clearance from the top of the 12" to the rear shelf bottom to allow the sub's top excusion.

4) okay all this sounds good, what about reducing clearance in the truck, if you use a 12" free air sub with "low" depth requirements, it would require approximately 6" of clearance from the top shelf into the truck space or about 2/2.5 inches more than the current 10".

For Example: The infinity Kappa series can be run free-air. Not recommending crutchfield nor am I sure if this is the sub I would use, but just as example, check out its mouting requirements: http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...8K1247W&tp=111

The only problem that I currently have is that I do not know the factory BOSE amp's wattage output of the AND at what Ohms. I need this information so that I can choose an appropriate subwoofer.

no its dropped through the interior rendering all the rest of it wrong. youll have to stick with a 10 inch sub less your going to drill a wider hole into the deck in which case the mesh cover wont fit anymore and about 10 other problems with the trunk bar struts etc...

the bose amp is rated at 425 watts total how much is sent to the amp im not even 100% on, but i can guarantee no more than 100 watts max at 1 ohm the only 1 ohm sub that exists is the infinity kappa perfect which actually is also good for free air applications up to 175 watts if memory serves me right.

as for the 5 input or outputs or whatever if your buying a good vid indash receiver, it will have PLENTY of aux inputs and outputs of which you can control from the unit itself, its necessary to add more via a switch box but if you do need more, simply buy some rca Ys and connect them to the aux inputs on the unit.

Smile Re: 04 DHS BOSE Radio Replacement

K, I have found several reviews. This review says that a Bose 275-Watt audiophile system is available as an upgrade.

http://www.dealtime.com/xPR-Cadillac...RD-81323134596

So now I know that the total system power is 275 Watts... The question is, how much of that is the subwoofer. for example, 175 watts by 5[main channels, left and right front and back plus dash center] then 100 watts sub?

According to these schematics, it appears that the subwoofer is a dual coil.
    Dark Blue wire from AMP feeds coil 1, noted as A
    Light Green wire from AMP feeding coil 2, noted as B
    Black and White wire is a shared common to ground, noted as C

Given this... can anyone help me figure out what the wattage distribution is and possibly at what ohm is the amp working?

See the schematic image at this URL: http://picasaweb.google.com/ophedian...22974447142690

woah woah now
    i was speaking SEVILLE
    being you were talking about a 12 inch sub i got confused
    the Deville does have 275 watts

if you have bose the sub is not a DVC

CadillacSTS2003,
    Given that we are now talking about a DeVille, does that mean that the sub is also Top Mount as in the Seville? And why the heck would Cadillac put a lower powered AMP in what is supposed to be their top of the line Vehicle? If the Seville has 475 watts, I would expect the Deville to have more or at the very least the same amount of wattage. That makes no sense to me.

Regarding the additional audio sources: Your recommendation of using RCA Y splitters is correct however I want these other sources to function like the chimes in the car. If they are on, I want them to be able to override/Mix in with the audio of the radio and not one or the other. A good example would be the backup chimes. If you have the radio on, and something is picked up by the backup chimes, the chimes come on while the audio is playing. Your solution would only allow me to either listen to the main source or the auxiliary source and not both at the same time.

I guess I shall do a little more investigation about the braces you are talking about under the rear dash.

Exclamation Re: 04 DHS BOSE Radio Replacement

Whoa Nelly?!?!

Ok, I am looking at the schematics for the Bose Radio in the 04 Deville. The Schematics only show Left and Right channel audio output and so does the AMP inputs. This raises one huge question

The radio has balance and fading. I can see how balancing is done[left to right] but how is the fading accomplished if only left and right channels are provided? Also, how does the DSP functions such as "Ambient, Talk, Front, etc] accomplished if only using two output channels. The only thing I can think of is that the Radio sends a data signal to the AMP which has an internal processor that handles it and then outputs to all six channels..

If this is the case, if I have my factory radio with the DSP set to "Ambient", then I uninstall the radio and put in the new after market radio, however the AMP is still set to "Ambient" from the old factory radio last settings, does that mean that the sound from my new radio will always be processed using the "Ambient" DSP functions in the AMP. Same question regarding fading settings.

the non bose used a DVC Sub
    bose used a svc sub 10 inch mounted from the interior down into the trunk

Thanks CadillacSTS2003,
    That does help. I shall attempt to purchase a 12" with 2 ohms. I figure that is a comprise between 4ohm and 1ohm.

I shall the project design and material listings. I shall throw up some pics of the work in progress and the final product.

they make a 1 ohm sub
    infinity kappa pefect 12.1 and 10.1 can be ordered in a 1 ohm free air verison

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.