1994 Cadillac STS Radio Died on us, but still getting power
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, 1994 Cadillac STS Radio Died on us, but still getting power in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hi, new to the forum great site! hopefully some1 can help us, my lady has a 1994 Cadillac STS andher ...
    Pilferd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Question 1994 Cadillac STS Radio Died on us, but still getting power

Hi, new to the forum great site!

hopefully some1 can help us,

my lady has a 1994 Cadillac STS andher radio died on us recently. about a month ago she was complaining that her radio would shut off every time she hit a hard bump, she would give the side of the radio/console a punch and it would reactivate.

after a few days of this - punching no longer worked, she then checked her fuses and seen the fuse was blown, replaced and the radio was fine - but still turned off after hard bumps - again punching the console fixed this but only for a few days until the fuse blew again.

She then replaced the fuse w/a fuse that can hold more amps (i think a 20 or 30) and the radio worked for a day or 2 then simply stopped all together. No punching could fix it now so she replaced the fuse with the correct amp and still the radio would not come on.

only response we receive is when we push the volume button and the clock displays for a few seconds then fades. The antenna does not lift but on occassion we can hear its motor.

i pulled it out and checked the connections and all is well, however it does look like one of the wires was rubbing against the inside of the console and the wire is now slightly exposed (orange insulation looks a little burnt or black)

i went to our local junk yard and pulled another radio from a similar Caddi (minus the cd player) and installed but we get the exact same results, no radio, no display except a brief display of the clock when volume knob is pushed.

sorry for the long post, but can any1 help us out? my lady keeps sneaking out with my car (and radio) and i keep getting stuck w/t caddy

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

Re: 1994 Cadillac STS Radio Died on us, but still getting power

you had a short somewhere
    by installing a larger fuse you allowed more power to be sent then was safe and fried the unit as well as likely melted a wire

an ohm reader right now is your best friend as well as a Factory Service Manual to determine what wires are where
    maybe you can find which one and run a new wire in its place
    i posted the pin out for this radio a LONG time ago however now i do not know where i got the info or where you could find it
    goodluck

Pilferd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: 1994 Cadillac STS Radio Died on us, but still getting power

thanks for the quick response sts ...

im not to tech savvy when it comes to the electrical but i think i know some1 who is ...

i'll give him a call and see if he has an ohm reader and i'll make this an afternoon project ...

thanks again i appreciate your help!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.