Best iPod Connector in '99 STS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, Best iPod Connector in '99 STS in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I've searched all the "iPod connection" threads and haven't found what's the best way to connect an iPod to a ...
    Alert is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS, 2005 SRX V8

Best iPod Connector in '99 STS

I've searched all the "iPod connection" threads and haven't found what's the best way to connect an iPod to a Bose system in a '99 STS. I realize it's probably to disconnect the CD changer in the center console. But what adaptor/unit will work in this car?

Anyone?

Thanks,

Ed

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

Re: Best iPod Connector in '99 STS

been covered
    search
    Perpherial ipod2car

Okay, is this what you're talking about (this does mention 99 Sevilles)?

Re: Ipod Hack COMPLETE!!! 02-05 Dev 02-04 Sev

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe this new NEWS, or is old news but i messeged mikekilpartick who said he was working with a company who was willing to make a ipod harness/interface that would work with the 99-05 dev,sev/eldo etc radio/NAV. They were experimenting with a denso nav unit and radio trying to hack into it to accept i pod. This is the messege he sent me after he received the part that the comnpany came up with for testing. If this doesnt help, try PM'ing him for more info-

"Hey, I got the part in today for the car. What they sent me is a modified SONY Cd changer cable. Basically, what this thing does is supply you with TWO RCA input plugs, BUT, you have to track down the left and right digital input wires, plus the 2 respective grounds, (This is on the 10 pin plug that is in the center console, which plugs into your CD changer). Once you track the wires down, you splice this RCA jack piece into the wire harness. So, you have the left and right going into the RCA adapter and then a seperate left and right going OUT of the RCA adapter and into the CD changer.

What the concept is, from what I can see is that the CD changer HAS to be in the loop in order for the stereo to "talk" to the changer. What this thing does is that the minute it senses a signal from the RCA input jacks, it turns OFF the inputs from the CD changer and allows whatever you have plugged in (ie IPOD, XM radio) to play through the radio. The minute you turn off your alternative source, the cd changer kicks back in to allow you to listen to CDs again. The point is, there appears to be a "brain" in the CD changer which talks to the radio, THAT circuit will be running, which fools the radio to think that the signal is coming from the CD changer, when, in actuality, it is coming from your alternative source.

I have my service manual, have to track down the 4 wires to splice. I don't want to cut my factory harness, so I am buying a Peripheral harness adapter, cutting the appropriate wires on one end and then plugging it into the factory harness.

that was for 02+ Cadillacs which will not work with the kit
    the ipod2car will work for you

Thank you very much!

Ed

no prob

I purchased that iPod interface item tonight from BestBuy. It says on the packaging that it's compatible with Cadillac Sevilles 1995 - 2005.

I'll try to install it tomorrow. I'm going to take the CD changer out of the center console and connect it there.

Anything I should be aware of before I try this?

Thanks,

Ed

theyre wrong
    it will not work on 02+

and no its pretty easy

I installed it yesterday. The job was pretty easy. It works and sounds great -- huge improvement over the cassette adapter!

Thanks for your help.

Ed

no prob

dirtyguido is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville SLS

I know this is an old thread but I just picked up an '00 SLS with bose. I must say this is the best factory stereo I have ever heard. Mine has the 6 disc in the center console. I have had some sort of aftermarket stereo system in every car i've owned since i was 17, but this hits the spot. Plus I read all the nightmares with changing the factory head unit out and all that, so I want to avoid that like the plague.

I saw the recommendations for this as the only viable ipod interface, but I have two quesitons from those that have used it.

1) I guess this just gives audio input from the ipod to the factory head unit, as well as charging the ipod, you have to control everything from the actual ipod, songs playlists etc....

2) can you still use your 6 disc changer in the console with this?? Or do you have to sacrifce that for the ipod interface, because if that is the case, I think you can just cut into the CD changer wiring and put an aux input into the head unit, using the audio lines in the CDC plug... and leaving the data bus etc and the changer "playing" while the audio actually originating from the ipod. If you can keep the changer, as well as use the ipod, then this would actually be worth it.

Thanks in advance,

George

if you buy this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1172880156033

1 No you can cycle tracks using your hu you cannot change playlists though or search for tracks
    2 nope kiss your changer goodbye as when you go to control the radio it wont know which one you want to play and therefore it will play BOTH the cd changer and the ipod2car if you splice into things you could go around this through an A/B switch but idk how so dont ask me

only way to keep changer and add ipod on stock system is to upgrade to a 02+ nav system and do the aux in hack which i have done

dirtyguido is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville SLS

so I can cycle through tracks on my ipod once i select a playlist using the headunit, but i have to pick playlists using the ipod's click wheel using this device.....

And unfortunately, I lose the 6 disc changer when utilizing this solution.

I'll have to see if i can figure out something else instead, as a worse case I'll go with this.

Take care,

George

mikekilpatrick is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 Cadillac Seville STS

I finally managed to make a plug and play cable for 2002+ Cadillacs. Took a while to get the components together, but i successfuly built a 2002+10 pin connector that give you one pair of RCA connectors (you can always split them if you want more). The unit automatically shuts off your cd changer when you start your aux device and turns your cd changer back on 10 secs after you turn off your aux source/sources.

Mike

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.