Auxiliary Input on Seville/Deville/Catera: DIRECT connection - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, Auxiliary Input on Seville/Deville/Catera: DIRECT connection in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Please take a picture with a fairly good camera (make sure the focus is ok). I don't care about colors ...
    N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Re: Auxiliary Input on Seville/Deville/Catera: DIRECT connection

Please take a picture with a fairly good camera (make sure the focus is ok). I don't care about colors and such so thus the best picture is the clearest picture.
    Post the picture here (only the area of the audio processor, not the whole thing).
    I believe you (should) have the same layout as in the '98+ Catera/Eldorado/Deville (base) but let’s see. Although Catera is not compatible with the other two the layout is the same.

millerp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 deville

Quote Originally Posted by N*Caddy View Post
    Please take a picture with a fairly good camera (make sure the focus is ok). I don't care about colors and such so thus the best picture is the clearest picture.
    Post the picture here (only the area of the audio processor, not the whole thing).
    I believe you (should) have the same layout as in the '98+ Catera/Eldorado/Deville (base) but letís see. Although Catera is not compatible with the other two the layout is the same.
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/80/dsc01532oe.jpg/

thanks so much for helping me out with this.

[IMG] By aweschitt5978 at 2011-10-07[/IMG]

my email is millerp@umail.iu.edu if you want to email me and I can send you a better image that isn't downsized due to internet and website restrictions.

The picture is PERFECT, and yes is the layout I was expecting to see. Give me until tonight and I will reply with where to solder and cut (I need to run soon).

Here is EXACTLY what you need to do:

LEFT CHANNEL:
    Notice how between pin 15 and 16 there is a connection on the PCB. You need to break that connection (use a needle and lots of patience, scratch dead in the middle where that red X. Use a Ohmmeter to make sure the connection is broken. Then solder 24 AWG wires between the pin 15 and LIN on the jack connector (follow the gray line). Do the same between pin 16 and LOUT.

RIGHT CHANNEL
    Notice how I draw a line between pin 2 and pin 3 (I marked with a C). The two pins are connected in the same way as 15 and 16 only that the PCB connection is underneath the chip (so you canít see it unless you remove it). VERY IMPORTANT, since you canít cut it you need to desolder pin 2 OFF the plate and lift it a bit (not too much because it brakes easy, I am talking about less than 1 mm). Solder 24 AWG wires between pin 2 and ROUT and pin 3 and RIN (follow the red lines).

If you wonder how it works bellow is a diagram of the chip. This chip is 2 chips in one, one part is AUDIO MIXER, or better called selector (mixing 3 stereo inputs, RADIO/TAPE/CD CHANGER) and the other side is an sound processor (EQ and volume control). The output of this chip is 2 channels (L/R) mirroring what ever the audio mixer selects (radio, tape or CD changer). The MIXER part of the chip toggles between the 3 inputs when the SOURCE button is pressed (involves the HU microprocessor and such but letís not complicate it).

A) Is the diagram of the chip as is from factory. Notice how the output of the sound MIXER (left channel) goes out of the chip on pin 16 and the input of the EQ/Volume control side of the chip is pin 15. Notice on the PCB how pin 15 and 16 are connected together. So basically what ever comes out on pin 16 is sent back to pin 15. The same happens for the right channel the output of the MIXER pin 3 is connected to the input of the EQ/Volume control side on pin 2.
    Remember this signal is out of the mixer and about to enter in the EQ/Volume control module, so the signal at this stage is constant, the EQ/Volume controls will modify the sound level and frequency based on the steering wheel controls/Volume knob and the EQ buttons.

B) Is the circuit after you add the auxiliary connector. Notice how the In L pin is connected inside the AUX input connector to Out L, see the arrow where it makes contact (right channel similar). So in this situation what ever comes out of the MIXER on the left channel (pin 16) is connected to In L on the AUX connector. Inside the AUX connector L In is connected to L Out then L Out is connected to pin 15 completing the circuit (Right channel similar). So B) is not different from A) except that you have the AUX connector closing the circuit on B) rather than directly on the PCB as in A).

C) Now you insert the AUX in male connector and observe on C) whatís going on. Inside the AUX connector the tab from Out L is pushed away from the arrow from In L so the contact between the two pins is discontinued. But if you look carefully you see that the tab from Out L is actually in contact with the AUX in male connector (left channel) so now your Out L pin of the AUX connector has the signal from the AUX male connector Left channel. This signal is sent to pin 15 and eventually is what you hear in your speakers while the MIXER output (pin 16 only goes as far as In L on the AUX connector but it stops there. (right channel similar). So basically that AUX in connector is a SWITCH.
    I hope you understand how is the AUX input working, it is super simple.

EDIT:

Although the pin numbers are the same on the Ď96-í97 and in Ď98+ base units, the PCB layout is different, this layout applies to Ď98+ (Deville/Eldorado/Seville) with base sound system. For the Ď96-í97 layout see my posts on page 2.

jimstoicovy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville SLS

Is there any way i can just wire directly into this plug. I do not need use of the cd changer. Im looking for an easy way to connect an aux jack.

2000 SLS with bose

Jimcd changer plug.jpg

NO, you need to emulate the signal on the data wire (actually E&D wire) so the HU will give you the option to select the CD changer as a source.
    BUT you can easily use the HU to AMP audio wires in the same idea (yeah is that simple), see my diagrams for the BOSE setup (if you have BOSE), still don't get it then see this. If not BOSE then see the picture in post #34.
    What amazes me is EVERYBODY is looking at the CD changer connector (for I don’t get what reason) when they should look at the connector behind the HU (audio wires between HU and AMP).

BTW in the picture above the pins are wrong, pin 3 is audio COM, pin 4 is shield and the E&D wire is the last pin (10 not 9 as pictured).

conmetal is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '02 Bronze Mist DTS (SOLD)'00 Black DTS w/ NV & Nav

I'm finally getting around to attempting the auxillary input mod on my '00 DTS w/ Bose Navigation & CD Changer. My first attempt has ended in failure. My pin outs on the plug are labled C & D, not E & F. Connected two wires from C9 & C10 directly to the audio jack. D16 (bottom row) is already taken by a black wire. I spliced into it assuming it is the ground and also grounded to the chassis along with the ground from the audio jack.

I went to my local radio shack for the audio jack. Asked for part # 274-249 1/8" Stereo Panel Mount Audio Jack, however realized when I got home that I had part # 274-0248 1/8" Mono Panel-Mount Audio Jack. I went ahead and attempted the install. I'm not sure if the mono/stereo is my issue, but right now I have no aux option and skipping through the sources doesn't pickup any additional audio (connected to my mp3 player via 3.5mm male/male cable).

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks Cadillacforums!

The AUX input source thing will ONLY work on the '02+ DVD based Nav units, yours is CD bases, is unlike ANY of the solutions I provided above.
    You have 3 configurations:
    1. BASE
    2. BOSE
    3. NAV with DVD
    Although the CD based NAV unit is very similar with BOSE, the pin numbers are different. You need a FSM to understand how it works and again only expect the source selection for 3!!!!, 1 and 2 have no firmware interaction, the source selection is done hardware by the switch in the AUX input. You really need to understand how it works, especially since you try using a mono connector (big nono).

conmetal is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '02 Bronze Mist DTS (SOLD)'00 Black DTS w/ NV & Nav

Awe man, really didn't want to hear that although I feared so. The mono jacks were not intended and I planned to pick up the stereo jack tomorrow.

I can follow any directions given but not so inclined to engineering my own solutions. Now I'm wishing I would of kept the setup I installed in my previous DTS. Oh boy, now I'm trying to remember if I had saw somewhere that it was not ideal to use an aftermarket head unit with this setup.

Thanks for the clarification and cheers to anyone who has already tackled the auxillary add-on to this setup and can lead the way.

GabeISN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 95 Cadillac Sedan Deville

Can I please get some pics on how to do this on a 95 sedan Deville without Bose

In a '95 Deville with BOSE try the BOSE link, this is for NON BOSE cars.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.