Auxiliary Input on Seville/Deville/Catera: DIRECT connection - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, Auxiliary Input on Seville/Deville/Catera: DIRECT connection in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hey N* Caddy I'm so happy to see this post, I NEED to do this to my SRX to hook ...
    Jake's SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 silverado CC,SRX (N*), 07 Silverado crew 4X4, 2000 Impala

Re: Auxiliary Input on Seville/Deville/Catera: DIRECT connection

Hey N* Caddy I'm so happy to see this post, I NEED to do this to my SRX to hook in my SIRIUS, and oh yea 19 year old son want's Ipod to function. Now the Sirius has built in FM transmitter but much prefer the jack.
    I have the 6 CD changer with BOSE, how hard what do I need to do?

N*Caddy is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Hey Jake,

I am not very familiar with SRX (unless is SRX with navigation). But if you have a RIM then is the same setup, maybe not compatible, but the same setup as BOSE Sevilles/Eldorados. In witch case follow my BOSE thread for how to make the adapter harness. I don’t know the pins on a SRX but as long as you know which is audio left/right/COM you are all set.
    Another idea (simpler) is to connect the jack connector on the CD changer harness (if the changer is remote) and you will have AUX input while on CD Changer mode (the CD changer will work but once you insert the AUX jack instead of hearing the CD changer you hear the aux signal). The CD changer has Audio Let, Right and COM wires, shield wire, 12V supply, 0V and the data wire. You insert the connector on the audio wires.
    So in terms of solutions you can either tap on the audio signal wires between the HU and RIM (and you can listen to aux device instead of HU – i.e. anything but CD changer) or tap on the CD changer audio wires and you can listen to aux device while on CD changer mode). Off course once the aux jack is unplugged you will go back to listening the HU or CD changer signal. All these with full volume, Bass, Treble, Balance and Fade controls (including steering wheel).
    But as mentioned I am not familiar with the SRX setup, I have good reasons to believe is similar with Seville in which case is as described above.

FirstString is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Deville

Instead of doing all this hard soldering why not just use the wires that go to the tape deck? The input has to go to the tape deck does it not? The tape deck has 8 wires on one connector and 14 on another...

I tried PMing you but Iam too new to PM people...

I took the liberty of using your picture as a didactic material, hope you don’t mind.
    Yeah sure you can use it I can even tell you the pins (see the picture bellow).

Pins 2, 6 and 8 are GND
    Pin 5 is LEFT TAPE AUDIO OUT (+)
    Pin 7 is RIGHT TAPE AUDIO OUT (+)

As you can see in the schematic LH tape channel goes to LH INPUT 1 on the sound processor (PIN 13 – via a capacitor) and RH tape channel goes to RH INPUT 1 on the sound processor (PIN 7 – via a capacitor).

But think about it, if you insert your AUX INPUT connector on this lines (see the red lines on my diagram) as follows (consider the notations I used above):

PIN E (COM) connected to either of the GND pins (2, 6, 8)
    PIN A (Left CH IN) connected to pin 5
    PIN D (Left CH OUT) connected to PIN 13 (INL1) of the audio processor (via the capacitor)
    PIN C (Right CH IN) connected to pin 7
    PIN B (Right CH OUT) connected to PIN 7 (INR1) of the audio processor (via the capacitor).

The AUX in will ONLY work while ON TAPE! If you like it like that, I mean no problem is easyer, just insert the connector on the banner cables (keep in mind this time B goes to 7, and C connects on the piece of wire coming from the tape module, while D goes to 5 and A goes to the piece of cable coming from the tape) think about it!
    What the %$$%%$ I am sure you don’t understand so here is another diagram:

Just note A and B use to be one wire same as D and A (see circled yellow).

But if you want to have AUX IN no matter what is the radio on to (RADIO/TAPE/CD) then you have to use pins 2 and 3 (Right channel) and 15 and 16 (Left channel).
    Looking at your radio board, locate the audio processor chip (see in your picture is surrounded by a light green circle). The audio processor pins are matching EXACTLY the diagram in the left of the picture. If you carefully check your PCB you can see the tract going from pin 15 to pin 16, but you can not see the one from 2 to 3 because is under the chip (as shown in the pictures – thick black line).
    Here is the CORECT diagram:

In order to cut the tract between pins 2 and 3 you need to take the chip off. Is pretty complicated job and you might end up breaking some pins or damaging the PCB (this is for the professionals with proper tools). So your best option is to de-solder one of the pins and lift it slightly off the plate (make sure you don’t break-it) this way the contact between pins 2 and 3 is interrupted. Needles to day you need an EXTRA small soldering tip (something like a thick needle) and the wires to use are no thicker than the ones in that tape banner cable.
    This EXACT layout pictured above is ONLY valid for the ‘98 and up radios, the ’96 – ’97 (non-THEFTLOCK) radios have a different plate layout (see the blurry picture bellow).

These radios have the SAME chip but the tract between pins 2 and 3 is not under the chip (so is easier to modify). But these radios have a capacitor between the pins 2 & 3 (right channel capacitor) and 15 & 16. Connect as shown on the diagrams from page 1 (capacitors on the inputs pin 2 and pin 15).

To hack the display (OPTIONAL) here is a prelim diagram so you can get an idea:

WARNING! The above connections (to the auxiliary female connector) are only as an EXAMPLE. Chances are the pins are different between manufacturers (see some of the variations in my previous posts). You have to figure out yourself witch pin is what (whit an Ohmmeter). I explained in one of the threads, should you not be able to figure out let me know I can help (but you need an Ohmmeter).

I cant PM you... Your diagram still sint showing how to do it with out having to solder to that tiny little piece... That peice is way too small to solder to... you are only showing 3 wires from the 8pin bar... it needs 5... Can you PM me a phone number?

YES it does THIS ONE

Just note A and B use to be one wire same as D and A (see circled yellow).

See the picture, follow the red line coming from your picture and going to pin A. Then follow the wire from D going to connector pin 5. Well these two wires use to be ONE single wire but you cut it in half and the end coming from the TAPE is connected to A and the end going to pin 5 is connected to D. See the yellow circle surrounding A and D? That means those ends use to be connected but you cut the wire. The same with the wire from Tape to pin 7, cut in half and one end (the tape half) is connected to C and the other end is on B.

VERY IMPORTANT!
    REMEMBER WITCH ENDS WERE CONNECTED TO WHAT! Best practice use, a black marker and draw a line full length along ONE of the two wires BEFORE you start cutting.
    But again hope you UNDERSTAND that your AUX IN will only work with the TAPE (i.e. you need to have a tape inside and the tape will spin in vain). I am not sure you want that.
    Another option will be to use the radio input so your AUX input will only work if you connect the jack while the HU is set to RADIO. Is MUCH BETTER! I will post tomorrow how to do that.

Nevermind... you are completely not understanding what Im saying...and your diagram is not correct... your green arrows are coming from the same piece that connects to the 8pin jack...

Communicating this over a message board is not helping in the slightest... Thanks tho..

The green lines are just arrows to show you the location of the plate of the connector I detailed on the diagram (the one with 8 pins). You should look for the RED lines those are the ELECTRICAL connections.
    I know you are expecting for 5 wires (logical on first thought) but in reality ONLY 3 are the audio wires (L+, R+ and GND) the other wires are power and control related wires for the tape module. Not your concern for this application.
    Now think like that. You have 2 wires and you cut the wires in half, how many connections you have now? 4 right! Add the ground and here are the 5 wires you are looking for.
    I am not sure you understand how is the female jack connector working.
    One more time (I am only considering one channel) for simplification:
    With no male jack connected in the female connector the input and the output (i.e. A and D if we consider the left channel) are connected together (as if the wire will be never cut) so you can listen to the tape (if you use the tape as input). Now inserting the male jack into the female jack the input and output are disconnected (so A is no more connected to D if we stick to our left channel example). In the same time when A and D are disconnected, the pin from the male connector will be connected to pin D (the output) so is like cutting the wire, removing the section from the tape and connecting your wire coming from Ipod (or what ever) on the input. That female jack connector is the KEY to understand is in fact a mechanical switch, the switch action being achieved with the introduction of the male jack. See that connector with the transparent cover, inside are just some cleverly bent metal springy tabs.
    Obviously you can not say my diagram is not correct since is working in my car (and some other) since over one year now and I also have a master degree in this stuff.
    I will PM you my phone number, although I am really not sure how we can understand each other discussing an electrical diagram over the phone when we can not understand whit pictures, you know the saying “A picture worth a thousand words”.
    As mentioned I will NOT recommend you using the TAPE as an input since you have the inconvenient of running a tape all the time in the unit in order to listen to the AUX input.
    Better use the radio input instead if you are afraid soldering near the audio processor chip, for the radio input all you have to do is to interrupt the electrical tracts coming from the radio (that part encased in metal under your hand in the picture). Again you have 2 tracts, interrupt them (scratch whit a needle) and you will have 4 connection points plus the GND = 5.
    Here are the inputs:
    Input 1 is the TAPE
    Input 2 is the RADIO
    Input 3 is the CD Changer.
    So that will translate in:

Pin 5 is CD Changer IN Right (+)
    Pin 6 is RADIO IN Right (+)
    Pin 7 is TAPE IN Right (+)

Pin 11 is CD Changer IN Left (+)
    Pin 12 is RADIO IN Left (+)
    Pin 13 is TAPE IN Left (+)

Here is the diagram how to use the RADIO input as an AUX in input:
    Observe is the EXACT plate layout you will see on your Theftlock enabled (i.e. ’98 and up) Tape only Base HU.

LEGEND:
    Black are the tracts on the radio board
    Light green are the wires you will solder between plate and the AUX connector
    Red (cross) is the EXACT point where you should interrupt the tracts (use a needle)
    Magenta are arrows and highlights to show you various explanations (they are not electrical connections).

Here how is working:
    With the HU on RADIO (AM/FM – regardless) with no AUX Male Jack connected you will hear the radio. Using the SOURCE button you can switch to TAPE or CD Changer.
    Connecting the Male Jack the radio will mute and you will hear your AUX device. Using the SOURCE button you will also switch to TAPE or Radio.
    Unplugging the Male Jack connector while on Radio you will hear again the Radio sound, if on TAPE or CD Changer nothing will happen until you return to Radio (using SOURCE button) when you will hear the radio.
    But I strongly recommend the diagram posted on the previous line (using pins 2&3 and 15, 16). This way you listen to your AUX device as long as the Jack connector is plugged in regardless if you are on RADIO, TAPE or CD Changer.
    If you are trying to get away from soldering IS NO WAY, soldering is REQUIRED.
    I can not make-it simpler than that.

ERRATA
    Sorry I noticed an error in the above diagram the wires going to R OUT and R IN need to be swapped.

If the administrators can allow me to edit the previous post I will do the correction (my fault I was in the rush to finish).

turbo84gn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Eldorado, 1999 Eldorado

Just my 2¢

Most people are not comfortable (or capable) making this permanent modification, soldering to such a small chip. I feel using the tape input would be better. You can use the same 5-pin input to disable the tape motor from running, and fool the radio that a tape is inserted (might need a little relay).

Advantage is that the radio will immediately switch to CASS input when you plug in, your CD's still won't be spinning needlessly, and you can switch back to other inputs whether input plug is in jack or not.

After all, who really uses cassettes any more anyway?

I believe the BOSE units actually have a feature that can be programmed to stop the motor for exactly this situation (using a tape adapter). Look up into the manual, is something between the lines with resetting the clean tape head message.
    You may have a tape player in your BOSE stereo (witch some will say is outdated) but you do have the best damn tape player ever installed in a car, it also can FWD the tape to the next song (has a chip that detects the pause between songs).

jeffpaletz is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a 2003 Cadillac Deville/DTS with the Nav system and 6 disc CD changer in the glove box. I've spent hours looking for N*Caddy's complete thread on adding an Aux cable to this radio. I saw where it can be done by connecting to the plug that goes to the back of the radio. I just some posts by going to your name and looking at threads you've participated in but can't find the whole thread. I'd be very grateful if you can post a link or clearly explain the steps to find this. Using search also did not help me find the specific. I need to know what pins to connect the audio/video cables to and the pin for the ground so it knows there is an aux input connected. Thanks!

Please follow this link:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ack-input.html
    you can go to more details following further the BOSE links.

millerp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 deville

N*Caddy

I was wondering if you could help me... I have a '99 Deville with a base model cassette HU and I'm wanting to add the aux input as directed in your blog, but the chip is the 200945, but looks like it has a different configuration than what is laid out in your schematic. The second series of numbers is ZPE1845. It looks like pin one goes to something but pins 2 and 3 look like they end in the pcb. In one of your posts you said that you can test to see which pins are which using an ohm meter and I was wondering if you could walk me through that a little bit better (not really wanting to screw up my radio) or if I could send you a picture and see what you think.

any help is greatly appreciated,
    -Patrick

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.