Do I really have to remove the dash?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, Do I really have to remove the dash? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I'm the newbie who wants to know if anyone knows how to get at the front speakers in an '85 ...
    mind_stone is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question Do I really have to remove the dash?

I'm the newbie who wants to know if anyone knows how to get at the front speakers in an '85 Couple DeVille. Do i need to take the dash off, and if i do, how do i do that? Also, if there are any little "hidden" speakers, where are they?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JJhomer83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Do I really have to remove the dash?

well the speakers are either in the door or in the dash if they are in the dash you need to remove it and get the speakers out.

carstereohelp.com
    that is a good website

75pimpdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Good Luck man

If the speakers are in the dash, you do have to take the dash apart. Last Summer, I instaled a stereo, new wires cd/mp3, and front and back speakers and subs in a 75 deville. It took 4-5 weekends of work. I tried to take it to a custom place, but they said 80's and older caddies are "nightmares".

So, its a big job and takes a lot of arm strain and work, but the result is well worth it.

Adam

SoundAdvantage is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 87 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by mind_stone
    I'm the newbie who wants to know if anyone knows how to get at the front speakers in an '85 Couple DeVille. Do i need to take the dash off, and if i do, how do i do that? Also, if there are any little "hidden" speakers, where are they?
    Your 85' should have 4x6" speakers in the dash and yes the top section of your dash board has to be remove to do the install. The scews to remove it are behind the air vents>The air vents can be removed by pulling them straight out, then you will see the screws that remove your dash. I would replace your Factory speakers with some high quality ones. I had to do some cutting on the fiberglass inner structure on my car so the Speaker Magnets would fit. While I had the top section of my dash off I went ahead and ran new 12 guage speaker wire back to the trunk along with 3 sets of RCA jacks, a Remote wire and a 4 ga. Power wire>ONLY because i am using After Market Amplifiers> The only thing you will need to do is cut your Factory plugs off your front speaker wires and crimp 4 female connectors to the 4 wires that will go to your new set of dash speakers.

ChiMick is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I recently replaced the front speakers on my 1990 Sedan Deville and it really wasn't too tough taking the dash apart. While I was at it I re-glued a section of the padding above the speedo that had come apart. I think that the job all told took less than two hours from start to finish (and I did a lot of extra things such as cleaning the metal part of the dash, removing the fittings from the old speakers and soldering them on the aftermarket adaptors, etc.) The worst part of taking the dash pad off was that some of the screws were stubborn but a squirt of liquid wrench helped free them. Don't forget that there are two bolts (at least in mine) inside the glove box.

I put in Kenwood 2-way speakers and they made a huge difference. As you might expect, the OEM speakers were brittle and the cone was white having been sun bleached. The 2-ways have better definition and I think reproduce the highs better. I have noticed that at higher volumes the dash pad rattles a bit but there's not much that can be done about that since the area above the speakers basically "floats".

Just pick a nice day and dive in- good luck with your install.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.