Aftermarket cd player installed no memory
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, Aftermarket cd player installed no memory in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hello, I recently installed an aftermarket cd player in my 97 deville. Among basic installation I found I had to ...
    97DevilleTwinkies is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Aftermarket cd player installed no memory

Hello, I recently installed an aftermarket cd player in my 97 deville. Among basic installation I found I had to run my accessory wire from the cd player all the way to the trunk to the "ACC" fuse...there was no other way for the deck to get power! Otherwise it would have to always be on. So now my dilemma is getting it to keep the memory of the unit, my audio settings as well as the screen position. Its not fun resetting everything every time I get into the car. Does anyone know how to fix this? Or if there is some other way with the power issue? It works as it is supposed to with the wire to the back but I want my memory!!

Please help!

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Loud 93 STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Aftermarket cd player installed no memory

Sounds like you have the switched power wire from the car hooked up to the constant power wire from the stereo. Use a small tester light and turn the key on and aff and figure out a switched and a costant. Then check and make sure these are wired to the corresponding wires of the stereo. As always, if working with the wiring, make sure not to touch anything to exposed wires and be careful.

Will try this out! Thank you!

NerosTail is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville DTS

Let me know if you get this working. I have a 97 Deville too and was planning on getting an aftermarket cd player this weekend. I read from another poster on these boards that he too has a 97 Deville and put in an aftermarket stereo and has memory problems with it. I really don't want to deal with that.

It is going to work but, you have to run the wires for the battery and accessory to the fuses in the trunk. Its not really that hard of a job. Takes about 10 minutes. These dashboards have little room to slide wires in but I was putting my wires folded in a sonic straw and then poking the straw thru the botom and grabbing it with a pair of needle nose pliers and pulling them thru, hehe. If you need help let me know! thanks!

I got it! I have memory baby! What I did was run 2 14 gauge (kind of big for my application) wires from the head unit to the to trunk where the fuses are. Your CONSTANT/12+ connection needs to be tapped into the "BATT" fuse. For your ACESSORY wire on your head unit you need to tap this wire into the "IGN 0-BODY" fuse this is for your memory. All is well, got the new flipout in been watching movies with the ps2 all day. Love it. Any questions just get at me. Thanks

NerosTail is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville DTS

Cool! One question, does the new stereo stay on until you open the door? You know how the factory stereo stays on when you turn the car off- until you open the door? If you have amps, do they stay on until the door is open?

Nope none of that stuff. On your harness you'll only use the factory speaker wires, power antenna wire and illumination wire and ground. The accessory and 12+ will run to the back. Any functions before will not work. Theres about 10 wires that don't get used any more.

SoundAdvantage is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 87 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by 97DevilleTwinkies
    Nope none of that stuff. On your harness you'll only use the factory speaker wires, power antenna wire and illumination wire and ground. The accessory and 12+ will run to the back. Any functions before will not work. Theres about 10 wires that don't get used any more.
    HUH? :drinker :drinker :rolleyes2 Hmmm

I meant, he will not have that. No more radio on till the door opens.

Then as far as the aftermarket harness to wire a aftermarket head unit. It only uses the speaker leads from the factory harness. Also the power antenna and illumination leads. That is it though.

He will wire the 12+ and accessory all the way to the trunk.

So in that sense, you will have no other features besides what your deck can offer.

Thanks
    Let me know if thats understandable now

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.