I need help with my stereo
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, I need help with my stereo in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hey guys, I just bought my first Cadillac a few days ago. It's a 1997 Deville. It has the regular ...
    NerosTail is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville DTS

I need help with my stereo

Hey guys, I just bought my first Cadillac a few days ago. It's a 1997 Deville. It has the regular tape deck in it. No Bose. Looks almost exactly like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2458180573

EDIT: My stereo looks almost identical to this one. The only difference I can see is mine only has an eject button to the right of the tape deck. This one has 2 buttons.

What I want to do is upgrade to a CD player. Do you guys know what kind of CD player I can get that will be an easy install? I am not against getting an after market stereo if I can get one that is the same size and integrates smoothly. I want to use the steering wheel controls so I will get one of these:

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/det...duct_ID=PESWIX

If I get an after market stereo. But if I get an OEM stereo, which one would slide right in and plug into my wire harness and work right off the bat? And I also want to add some subs and an amp. Do any of the OEM stereos have RCA outputs? If I go with an aftermarket stereo, which ones fit niceley? Which ones work the best? Are there any in particular that plug right into the wiring harness without any issues? I've been reading about people's horror stories when they replace their factory stereos in their Cadillacs. Is that something I have to worry about with my 97 Deville and the non-Bose tape deck? Is there an easy way to get a cd player and an amp or 2 for some subs in my car? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

D148L0 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: I need help with my stereo

Man, you are willing to install a whole system, right? So don't mix. All those stories are true, just do a search here in the forum. Adaptors are better for people that only want a small upgrade.

Do you know of any good 1.5 din head units that I can throw in without having any problems? Also, in my dash it looks like there is a speaker in the middle. Do you know if it is only 1 speaker, or 2 speakers close together? Yes, I am planning on putting in a whole new system. I'm thinking a 4 channel amp to run the speakers in the car, and 2 mono sub amps to run 2 subs. Not sure what kind of speakers I will get yet, but I'll probably get Rockford Fosgate amps for the subs and an Alpine amp for the cabin speakers. Probably Alpine speakers in the cabin as well. Like 6x9's in the back, and components in the front. Maybe even Alpine subs too. Probably 2 12's. I haven't purchased any of this yet, but I probably will this weekend. I just want to make it as easy as possible so I figured I would try to learn from everyone else.

superflyone1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 sedan deville

So I have a 97 deville with the exact same stereo as you. I installed an aftermarket stereo. I bought a dash kit that looks great. It makes it so I was able to install a regular din stereo and even has a little pocket underneath the stereo. I am going to buy the interface to get my steering controls back because I really miss them. I also bought a wire harness that plugs right into the factory wire harness. From there, you just wire the deck right up. I don't think my center speaker works with the aftermarket stereo though but maybe the interface will help with that. I don't really miss it though. I also hooked up an amp and a couple of subs and a 10 disk changer. It all works fine. It was really easy to run the wires compared to other cars that I have ran wires in. Now the only problem that I have is I don't have any memory. I think the interface will solve that problem though. Any brand should install fine, as long as it is a regular din. Also, when you go to pull out the factory deck there will be three metal prongs on each side of the deck. You only have to push on the center prongs to get it out. I struggled with that for a couple of minutes. So everything should go fine as long as you get that interface, a dash kit, and a wire harness. Hope this helped!!!!

superflyone1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 sedan deville

oh yeah, you will also need a radio antennea adaptor. The factory one is smaller than normal.

What kind of interface will solve the memory problem? Do you know where I can get that? When you say you don't have any memory, what do you mean? That kind of worries me there. I can deal with the center speaker. Just put some tweeters in there or something. But the memory. That might be an issue. The interface I listed for the steering wheel control probably won't fix that. All it does is send out an infrared signal like a remote control when it detects you pushing the steering wheel buttons. Anyone know how to fix that memory issue?

97DevilleTwinkies is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I'm working on it! I will tell you this upcomming wednesday for sure. Thats when i'm going to re-run my wires. As far as an amp and woofers, easy stuff. I fed my power wire on the battery side thru the fender, it came out in the middle of the door hinges. I made a small incision in the rubber grommet from the passenger door wire thing. Looks like a stretchy tube. Ran it thru there to the inside came out near kickpanels, tucked it underneath the floor door moldings all the way to the rear seat. On the rear seat just pull out the lower rear of the seat where your back would be and shove your fist in there with the wire, leave it, open the trunk, dive in, pull away carpet and grab your wire. Power wire all done. Pull back the carpet where the power antenna is, you'll see the ground for the power antenna there, perfect spot to ground your amp without new holes. IF you need more help let me know, btw its not a center speaker its a vent for defrost/air conditioning, pop off the grille, you'll see. Hit me up on aim my nick is "cyrizdamac" if you need help installing your stuff. goodluck!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.