DO NOT buy the GMRC-03 interface, they don't solve the sleep mode problem!!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, DO NOT buy the GMRC-03 interface, they don't solve the sleep mode problem!!!! in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Thought to make a thread delicated to this little device... Let me state that this device kinda works FOR WHAT ...
    weister42 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville Sedan

DO NOT buy the GMRC-03 interface, they don't solve the sleep mode problem!!!!

Thought to make a thread delicated to this little device...

Let me state that this device kinda works FOR WHAT IT IS DESIGNED FOR, but it doesn't solve the sleep mode problem(no interior power until ignition, flashing dash, remote lock doesn't work, etc.). The Metra GMRC-03 is a device that gives you an ignition wire and replace your door chime with a horribly sounding one. THAT'S IT!!! They did not take into account about the databus(the culprit) so even if your CD player turns on and off just fine you'll still have the above mentioned problems. My CD player only turns off half the time, the other half all power is cut to my CD player, losing saved memories and occasionally froze up my CD player(not good). I tried two units and they produced identical results, believe me as I encountered every possible glitch while installing my stereo in my 98 Deville. The factory headunit needs to stay hooked up to the car, no exceptions. I just made custom wire harness and moved my factory deck to the trunk.

Please, DO NOT buy those crap interface. If you live close to WI I'll install your stereo for a fee. If you can do it yourself just read up on my other thread.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rcopp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 deville

Re: DO NOT buy the GMRC-03 interface, they don't solve the sleep mode problem!!!!

Weister42,

I'm planning to install a new HU and speakers in my '96 Deville. Not Bose, not amplified.

I have read all the information on the site regarding the GMRC-03. I'm convinced it's not worth messing with. If you could take the time to tell me where you bought the connectors to build the relocation harness, and a description of the pinout/wiring layout, it would be appreciated. If possible, let me know a little about putting the HU in the trunk (where, fastened or not and how, covered or not and how, etc.

Rodger

2001CatOwner is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Catera

Re: DO NOT buy the GMRC-03 interface, they don't solve the sleep mode problem!!!!

what kind of fee would we be talking about, i am from the milwaukee area? going up that way sometime this summer.

gust_1980 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 00' sts

i have the gmrc03 running my eclipse nav in my 2000 sts and it seems to be working just fine. i originally had the gmso6, which i liked better because it retained factory amplifier, but i crossed a wire somewhere and fried mine! oops...

im really curious why yours isnt working, from what i read it seems to work for others as well?

smithw14 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by rcopp View Post
    Weister42,

I'm planning to install a new HU and speakers in my '96 Deville. Not Bose, not amplified.

I have read all the information on the site regarding the GMRC-03. I'm convinced it's not worth messing with. If you could take the time to tell me where you bought the connectors to build the relocation harness, and a description of the pinout/wiring layout, it would be appreciated. If possible, let me know a little about putting the HU in the trunk (where, fastened or not and how, covered or not and how, etc.

Rodger
    Rodger - did you ever get your audio installed? I was wondering how it worked out. I have a 99 deville w/ base audio and have been searching and searching to find out how to upgrade my HU and speakers. It seems impossible to do w/o potentially causing annoying problems! Sorry - I would PM you but I don't have enough posts.

-William

William,

No, not yet. The seats and driver's side door panel have been off for a couple of weeks...funny.

I'm getting the pieces together and will start soon. I hope to document, but we'll see.

I bought connectors from audiooutfitter.com to either build a relocation cable or succesfully remove the oem hu and tap into car's harness. That silly GMRC-03 doesn't seem to be anything more than one of my connectors with a chime on it.

Here are the connectors I bought.

GM03B SCOSCHE - GM03B - WIRING
    HARNESS FOR 1992 & UP GM,
    32-PIN (goes to oem harness)

GM03RB SCOSCHE - GM03RB - REVERSE
    WIRING HARNESS FOR 1992 & UP
    GENERAL MOTORS – 3 (goes to oem radio)

A cable with one of each of the above connectors on each end will make a relocation cable. They're about $6 each.

Here's a pdf that you may find helpful.

http://www.netcrafting.com/car_mx/ca...grade_info.pdf

Feel free to E-mail me anytime. My address can be found on my home page.

http://www.netcrafting.com/

Quote Originally Posted by smithw14 View Post
    Rodger - did you ever get your audio installed? I was wondering how it worked out. I have a 99 deville w/ base audio and have been searching and searching to find out how to upgrade my HU and speakers. It seems impossible to do w/o potentially causing annoying problems! Sorry - I would PM you but I don't have enough posts.

-William

weister42 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville Sedan

Sorry guys I don't check this forum as often as I should

Quote Originally Posted by rcopp View Post
    Weister42,

Rodger
    I don't know why the harness refuses to work with my car, I know at least two other 1998 Devilles that had problems after removing the factory deck even with the correct harness. Maybe it's a hit or miss depending on what kind of wiring you have??? I know 2000+ Deville don't seem to have any problems, just the 97~99 and perhaps 1996 also. The problem here is the factory deck needs to stay hooked up to the factory harness, period.

Quote Originally Posted by 2001CatOwner View Post
    what kind of fee would we be talking about, i am from the milwaukee area? going up that way sometime this summer.
    Fees will depend on what you like to have put in You have a 2001 Catera? I don't think they use the GMRC-03 interface(I could be wrong) but I did an install in a 98 Catera w/Bose in which I bypassed all the factory stereo components then ran all new wires. The car didn't show any weird electrical problems so I assume the Catera doesn't have a databus running through the factory headunit.

Quote Originally Posted by gust_1980 View Post
    i have the gmrc03 running my eclipse nav in my 2000 sts and it seems to be working just fine. i originally had the gmso6, which i liked better because it retained factory amplifier, but i crossed a wire somewhere and fried mine! oops...

im really curious why yours isnt working, from what i read it seems to work for others as well?
    The strange electrical problem seems to only affect 1997~1999 Devilles, maybe the 1996 also. If you look closely at the GMRC-03 harness you'll notice that it doesn't complete the two databus wire loop which causes the car to think it has been stolen then go to sleep mode.

rcopp you have a 1996 Deville so maybe you'll luck out, let us know if it works out.

William and interested others.

I'm coming to a close on my audio installation. What a HUGE project. I didn't keep track of the hours, but it was huge, just huge. The research, studying the GM manual, planning, sourcing parts, etc,etc. It's my nature to go over the top on this sort of thing, but it's mostly fun for me. I used to be the instrument engineer on a weather research jet, so it's in my blood.

Anyway, have a look at the page I've put together. The work isn't done yet, but I'm getting closer. http://www.netcrafting.com/car_mx/ca...ationNotes.htm

If you have any questions, feel free to E-mail me. My address can be found on my home page.

http://www.netcrafting.com/

Patlock is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Hey everybody

I just bought a 99 Deville and installed a new HU along with the GMRCO3 and I am now experiencing all the same problems that have been discussed on this page. I haven't seen any postings on this page since a few months ago so I was wondering if anybody has successfully found a solution to the problem...or if there is one at all. This sleep mode problem is a damn pain so if anyone has any suggestions on what to do, please let me know

thanks a lot
    Patrick

Patrick,

I think the solution is to make an extension cable and relocate the OEM HU to the trunk.

http://www.netcrafting.com/car_mx/ca...ationNotes.htm describes that cable.

Have fun with that.

import2slab is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 Cadillac Deville

bumping this thread because it has a lot of good info that has helped me and I'm sure would help alot of other people

95lac is offline Cadillac Owners Member

im not sure what you guys mean by sleep mode but i thinks its a better alternative to the kill switch a had to wire just so it wouldnt drain my battery. i have an in-dash in my 97 deville non bose and its worked ok for about a week, doesent save the settings but it only takes a few seconds to set them and i didnt have to keep factory stereo.

mrgoodbar67 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 Cadillac DTS Deville on Vogues and DTS Blades

Metra SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i recently bought a gmos06 for my 02 deville with bose and and onstar and installed an avic d3.
    The interface casues the radio to shut off outta nowhere.....i have hollwed or distant sound from rear speakers, back up beeps and idiot beeps are non existent, and it DOES NOT intergrate the GM nicely like its supposed to..............

i heard metra had alot of bad batches of interfaces but this is ridiculous........................................ ......
    i might end up wiring my stock radio in the trunk aswell if it helps keep everything like before but with the after market radio as my primary and only av unit

BigOLak is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

rcopp or weister42

Is there anyway to connect the factory head unit directly to the module behind the rear seat? I've heard that in some 96 - 99's that the head unit is actually just a big remote. Is there any truth to that? and do either of you know if the harness in the dash comes from one of the modules behind the rear seat?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

egarcia41 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac DeVille

Hi, I just will like to install an aftermarket radio & keep factory speakers so if that posible I'll keep the HU in the trunk can you now rewire the harnesses so I can use the speakers.I believe I have to run wires from the front harness to the rear one, and after that run wires to hook up the aftermarket radio?
    Is the idea to run the wires that I dont need for the AMR to the HU in the trunk with power & ground? Here is my e mail if you have any diagrams or pictures of this job. edgarcia41@hotmail.com Thanks Edwin

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.