Need to upgrade 93 Eldorado Stereo -Which One?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, Need to upgrade 93 Eldorado Stereo -Which One? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Forum; My First POST..... I know someone has solved this problem before me. What Unit did you choose and why? ...
    charlesj is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Need to upgrade 93 Eldorado Stereo -Which One?

Forum;
    My First POST.....
    I know someone has solved this problem before me. What Unit did you choose and why? Not looking to spend a fortune, just upgrade.
    I recently purchased a 93 Eldorado Roadster, 1 owner, 53,000 miles, Dark Cherry Metallic, Saddle top. It came with the Factory AM/FM/Cassette.
    I want to upgrade to a CD/Cassette Stereo - that sounds the best with the stock factory speakers. I was told Sanyo had two models with those options that will fit in the dash of the car. Otherwise if I go with just a CD upgrade my options are greater to other stereos. Also, I would like the MP3 Option, or an Audio Output Jack to connect my mobile MP3 Player to the Car Stereo system and speakers. Any options there?

PS.... I spent an hour or more on www.crutchfield.com - I have a headache..

TOO many options - They don't believe in reverse engineering. What fits in the car....select the model stereo that fits in the car - without defacing the dash, etc. Too many of the stereo did not have kits for the Eldorado..etc

Please advise.

Charlesj
    Southern Indiana
    93 Eldorado Roadster

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Need to upgrade 93 Eldorado Stereo -Which One?

Surely someone has done this before.... I cannot believe I have all these folks looking and not responding.

Charles

JJhomer83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I would just get any aftermarket headunit that is in your price range. I am bias towards pioneer i like how the look/work/etc....
    you can get a good model for what you need for around $100-$200

STS 310 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

SKy's the limit specially since the adapter is the standard double din opening in the dash.

Money no object? Budget? Give me a dollar amount and ill steer you in the rite direction.

Prone to go with ALpine but there are quite a few other good manufacturers out there.

Josh;

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I am looking for something between $200-300 based on what I have seen. Of course, that depends on where you buy the unit. One place will ask $200 for a $300 unit, while another will be $225, or something like that.

Charles

Quote Originally Posted by JJhomer83
    I would just get any aftermarket headunit that is in your price range. I am bias towards pioneer i like how the look/work/etc....
    you can get a good model for what you need for around $100-$200

SLS:
    Thanks for you feedback too. I guess around $200 to $300 for the Headunit. The young man at Best Buy indicated that the install kit book shows that I would have to buy a thin line Headunit - which would then make a pocket either top or bottom of the Headunit. In other words, there is no aftermarket Unit that will fill up the stock unit as a one for one switch. The install kit dictates which unit you can install in the dash.
    Based on what I am looking for and willing to spend, what do you suggest.
    I have a older birthday coming up and the BRIDE wanted to know what I want for my BIRTHDAY...do I have a surprise for her... he, he, he,

Charles

Quote Originally Posted by SLS LUV
    SKy's the limit specially since the adapter is the standard double din opening in the dash.

Money no object? Budget? Give me a dollar amount and ill steer you in the rite direction.

Prone to go with ALpine but there are quite a few other good manufacturers out there.

JJhomer83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

carstereoworld.com
    really good prices on head units

D148L0 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by charlesj
    The young man at Best Buy indicated that the install kit book shows that I would have to buy a thin line Headunit - which would then make a pocket either top or bottom of the Headunit.
    There are several head units in the market, I personally owned a CD/casette/EQ combo. Just search for double din. What the guy at best buy meant is that THEY don't have one that fits your car. He is either ignorant or doesn't care about what's best for you.

Excellent point - Thanks a million. I now know what to search for.

Charles

Quote Originally Posted by D148L0
    There are several head units in the market, I personally owned a CD/casette/EQ combo. Just search for double din. What the guy at best buy meant is that THEY don't have one that fits your car. He is either ignorant or doesn't care about what's best for you.

Super! Now I know where to look for a Double Din HeadUnit..... You guys are awesome......

Charles
    Quote Originally Posted by JJhomer83
    carstereoworld.com
    really good prices on head units

Anytime! If you see 2 or 3 that you like, tell us and we can make suggestions to pick a winner...

ETC Guy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 92 Eldorado Touring Coupe

I've been studying this issue for my '92 for some time. This is not a straight forward head unit swap. On the '92 ( can someone verify the '93? ) the dash unit is only a control unit. There is a cable that leads to the trunk panel behind the rear seat. This area contains the amp/tuner. ALL speaker wire runs to this AND the antenna cable terminates there. Your going to have to do a lot of re-wiring.

The really exciting thing is that Kenwood is bringing out the Excelon DDX7015. This is a DVD receiver with a 6.5" touch screen controls. It needs a 2 DIN high opening and our Eldo's have one. Here's the link to Crutchfield:They are expecting availability sometime mid April. At $1399 it's more than your current budget, but you may want to wait and sacrifice to come up with the cash. I can't think of a better solution for an Eldo dash than this. It brings us to the next step of what GM should have done after the touch tubes in the early '90's Riveria and Toronado's. I'm broke right now, but after I get things turned around, this is where I'm heading.

I have just checked the excelon... nice, real nice! It's the first time in years that I would even consider buying a kenwood. And it's not because of the double din, or the monitor, or most of its features... this is the first kenwood product with a 24 bit processor I have seen (I don't regularly check their products, but I don't think they have before) Add that to an all-you-will-need-head unit and you have a winner...

Craig;
    Thanks a million for the info. Funny thing...when I was checking through the dealer to see if I could upgrade they indicated that if I had the 'bose' unit it would be as you described in your post. But I have the very stock vanilla AM/FM/Cassette and it's all there in one piece. The connectors are there for both the speakers and antenna.

3 Different Audio sound shops in Louisville, KY have all told me that my opening will not accomodate the Double DIN unit, without modifying the dash substructure. One tech said he did that for a customer after the customer signed a wavier.
    They all SUGGESTED....that I look for a single DIN unit that has the features that I am looking for and the install kit will make a small glass case opening or note pad opening beneath the New Unit to give it a more clean look. They suggested Kenwood and Sanyo....

Charles

Quote Originally Posted by ETC Guy
    I've been studying this issue for my '92 for some time. This is not a straight forward head unit swap. On the '92 ( can someone verify the '93? ) the dash unit is only a control unit. There is a cable that leads to the trunk panel behind the rear seat. This area contains the amp/tuner. ALL speaker wire runs to this AND the antenna cable terminates there. Your going to have to do a lot of re-wiring.

The really exciting thing is that Kenwood is bringing out the Excelon DDX7015. This is a DVD receiver with a 6.5" touch screen controls. It needs a 2 DIN high opening and our Eldo's have one. Here's the link to Crutchfield:They are expecting availability sometime mid April. At $1399 it's more than your current budget, but you may want to wait and sacrifice to come up with the cash. I can't think of a better solution for an Eldo dash than this. It brings us to the next step of what GM should have done after the touch tubes in the early '90's Riveria and Toronado's. I'm broke right now, but after I get things turned around, this is where I'm heading.

Loud 93 STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have replaced the stereo in my 93 STS and I think the techs are right that you have to modify the substructure, unless there is a very shallow unit I don't know of. I was going to put a double din in until I pulled mine out and found a big metal bar in the way. I went with the Pioneer DEH-P6400 in-dash. I got mine on clearance at Best Buy, but they usually don't have the best price. I got my speakers from www.etronics.com. They seem to have lowest prices around. For the dash install kit, I went to Circuit City. It was 20 bucks, looks great, and lets you keep your factory black trim piece. Whatever you get, good luck.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.