Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Rattle trap and Check engine lights, ANOTHER trip to the dealer

5K views 41 replies 14 participants last post by  kdphan 
#1 ·
Taking the car to the dealer again tomorrow. This will be the 4th time in 10 months of ownership. This time the car has developed a recurring check engine light. The transmission has also now had a couple of really bad little freakouts.At 11,000 miles the rattle noise from the wastegates is unbearable, especially below 35mph. It's downright embarrassing. The service department at Three Way Cadillac in Bakersfield has been a complete waste of time to this point.

It's an A8 and was fine for the first few thousand miles, since then it gets louder every day, it makes you cringe upon cold startup, and leaves you hoping noone is watching in parking lots. Not exactly what you expect from a $70,000 car.

#37 ·
Just an update on our ATS-V. The car is still at the dealer, the code in question is P16E7. The standstill with Cadillac service is unacceptable. The dealers are not held accountable at all by Cadillac. The dealer is just giving us the runaround. We are currently waiting on a field engineer to come see the car, but the dealer has no idea when that will be. The car has been with the dealer for 23 days. The dealer is also at this point refusing to provide paperwork for the times we picked up the car and they claimed it was fixed. I think they know a buyback or lemon law is coming and so they are basically refusing to provide paperwork.

We are probably just going to go pickup the car and take it to a different dealer. Three Way Cadillac in Bakersfield California and their service staff is total joke. What an embarrassment to even be associated with these people. In almost a month they have had the car all the have done is reset the Check engine light once (it came back the next day) and replace a $40 sensor (that fix made it 8 miles, check engine light came back literally on the first drive away from the dealer). Aside from that we have been offered nothing but excuses and BS from both the dealer and this bogus "Cadillac Customer Service" department. We have even been told by the dealer the car "probably needs new turbos but they are $2,000 each". A pretty clear indication Cadillac is not going to pay for new turbos.

This was my first car from Cadillac ever, it will be my last.

----------

On the rattling noise, has anyone tried deleting the x-pipe to cure that? If we ever get our car back I am taking it to have the exhaust modded to be a straight pipe instead of x-pipe.

#38 ·
My car doesn't make the noise, however I would bet it has the same or similar problem. Between 30-35 mph, it acts like a manual transmission in 6th gear. It feels like a miss, but I would guess it is somehow in too high a gear. I can manually shift down and it immediately goes away without accelerating. I would fully expect it to turn into a rattle/noise of some sort when things get a little more worn out. It just turned 2000 miles.

#39 ·
Every 1,000 miles our car has gotten progressively worse it was fine for the first few thousand. It's at 11,000 miles now. For example it never used to rattle on decel, only on acceleration. That changed a few months ago and the noise started when coming up on stop signs etc.

#40 ·
As i said before, I am on the same situation as OP. I have an issue with my 6MT:

Clunking when in lower gear and pumping the clutch. Video under car looking into the bell housing. I am going reverse and pumping clutch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uyk7eXEvy04

Whine when decelerating:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFeGeqYiQFI

Backgroung chatter noise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4TgrvxkDdg

The phone camera quite does not pick the sounds inside the cabin, but gives an idea of what I have been coping with for the last 8 months. And as OP all I have gotten is a "this is normal" or "the car is operating under GM parameters". My car is at the dealer for the fifth time now as a matter of fact. They are changing the clutch line, a fix that they supposedly did back in February following a special repair bulletin. This if far from a clutch line, is inside the bell housing as corroborated by an independent shop, so IMO is a throw bearing, or clutch plate issue, or both. Nevertheless, GM refuses to grab the bull by the horns and bring the tranny down, instead they make it look like they are trying. Their online customer service is quite engaging, but obviously there is a huge disconnect between the internet follow up and what happens on the field. And round and round we go....

To OP, file a case report with BBB, the way to contact them is in your car's owner manual. I filed my case and they sent a packet with forms to fill, they should have your case resolved within 40 days. GM has contacted me with another tone since I filed the claim. I don't think they are capable of repairing the car which is a shame. But after experiencing first hand they lack of customer service I am with you, no way I would get another Cadillac ever. And I was really considering the CTS-V, but I am concern that if something comes up I would have to put up with their BS again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.