Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Brakes pulsing/car judder

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Wireboltman 
#1 ·
Hi all,

So I have been driving the car a couple days now since I took delivery and everything on the car is amazing, with one exception every time I slow the car down to come to a complete stop I get a pulsing brake pedal and a judder/stump,e from the car. Any ideas what could be causing this on my 3 day old car? Thanks in advance.

Jay

#4 · (Edited)
I started this thread awhile back and while the problem isn't quite the same, the similarities are close enough to include it here.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-ats-v-series-forum/841497-rotors-glazing.html

I find it absolutely ridiculous that the burnishing process is a make or break procedure in order to have properly functioning brakes.
If that was so, there would be a flag put up by Cadillac and the dealerships warning ALL new owners to follow this process.
There isn't and they don't.

It would be my guess that very few people on this forum (if any at all) have done this procedure.
I read many, many hours on this subject while this thread was ongoing and there is nothing that substantiates the necessity to perform this procedure in order to not have this happen.
My dealership in CA had no knowledge of it nor my home dealership in Marquette, MI.
I've been driving for 48 years and have had many cars .
I have NEVER had a brake problem of any kind, let alone a problem like this, before.
My CTS-V included.

Good luck to you

#5 ·
to this is i say.....burnishing/brake bedding is a real thing, and has been for a long time....my father (a former Mercedes technician) told me though not to the extent as spelled out in the V manual, but a bedding/burnishing drive was ALWAYS done after a brake job, to insure a car with properly functioning brakes were put into a customer's hands, this was in the '70's....more evidence this is a real thing, the owners manual spells it out.....the fact there is no red flag detailing the proper care and feeding of the expensive thing you're about to purchase means little to nothing....it's OK for companies to treat their customers like adults every now and then, incidentally there is no red flag stating you ought to have a drivers licence, pet stores don't have red flags stating you should probably feed you new Iguana, this goes on and on in industry after industry, and on item after item where a level of responsibility for proper use is assumed by the purchaser

i agree this is not a common occurrence, largely in my opinion, due to tech advances in consumer grade brakes eliminating pulsing, squeal, and dust.....but this is a new car, and every new car could introduce things you haven't thought of or dealt with before....for example...i said this is rare in consumer grade brakes, but brake preparation, conversely, is common in competition grade braking components.....this is just speculation, but there is the possibility that some competition grade stuff is creeping into ultra high performance consumer grade cars.....sort of like multi thousand dollar DSLR Cameras being referred to as Pro-Sumer vs your smartphone camera....maybe we've entered the realm of the Pro-Sumer car

#6 · (Edited)
While an interesting "take" on things, I don't buy it.
I've never implicated brake burnishing isn't a real thing at all.
Comparing having a driver's license or feeding a pet to brake burnishing has provided me with a good chuckle.
You don't have to have a driver's license at all unless you plan to drive a car, then the law takes care off that for you. No driver's license... no driving.
The feeding a pet analogy I'll just let alone.
Again, good chuckle.
Thanks.
Tech advances..
I've been driving since 1968 and have never had a brake problem in all the cars I've had which includes many several brake jobs over the years.
There was no brake burnishing done. Period.
I've checked with two Cadillac dealerships and a couple of just brake shops and nobody has heard of brake burnishing being a mandatory requirement in order not to have properly working brakes with no glazing or rotor warping.

How many on this forum have done this procedure? (before I posted this thread would be the question to ask)
My guess, again, is very few, if any.

The only possibly valid point you have is that some sort of new elements were added into the mix THIS year, as it certainly hasn't been a problem till right now.
I tracked my CTS-V four times and autocrossed it once.
No problem.
At all.
As with 3 other cars I've tracked and autocrossed with, driving the same way as I drive this one.
Driving the same amount of miles or so per year as this car.
I'm wondering if the compound of these brake pads are such that they deposit more material on the rotor just because of their composition and so have to be heated to a certain point in order to stabilize the breakdown and prevent glazing and or rotors warping.
If so, then Cadillac is most definitely remiss in not making specific mention of it.
To think otherwise isn't being very adult like, on their part, in my opinion.
At all.

#9 ·
As I said, no other car, including my CTS-V that I raced several times has ever had a problem like this.
I'm the first to be on board with new technology (Calculators weren't invented yet when I was in high school) :)

I still have to wonder if the composition of these pads has something to do with this.

From what I can see (again) in the manual on pages 219-221 (under the Track Events and Competitive Driving section) (nothing at all about burnishing for normal driving)
I read this the day after I bought the car. I read the whole manual through as I did with the CTS-V as soon as I bought it. I'm pretty meticulous about things like that. My engineering lobe :)
My problems started long before any track event as did the poster of this thread.

All of it didn't want to copy and paste, but here's what it says on Page 220:

"New brake pads must be burnished before racing or other competitive driving."

This fall in line with my research into this when I started my thread on my rotors glazing.
The Corvette forum said the same thing about racing or track events. If you you didn't plan totrack it, no need to burnish.

All information I could find said burnishing was necessary to insure maximum performance for racing, not that it was needed to go and get milk and bread and normal everyday driving.
Truth be told, there's very few places you can perform the procedure in the book without causing traffic problems or really pissing a lot of people off you're on the road with, to my way of thinking, making it implausible for Cadillac to make this a mandatory thing in order just to make the brakes work properly for everyday driving.

I maintain what I've said on this and hope more information will become available as these cars go through their growing pains.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.