Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Deciding between ATS-V and CTS-V for 2016

8K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Tom Martin 
#1 ·
Hi folks,

I'm thinking about picking up one of these two cars when they are available.

I was fully sold on the CTS-V until I started doing some research and saw the amazing performance numbers of the ATS-V. Got a couple questions I hope the experts can help me with.

1) Just how much smaller is the ATS-V compared to the CTS-V? I'm talking real world size here. I imagine seeing them side-by-side will be the way to go, but if anyone has any thoughts I would appreciate it. I have a Pontiac G8-GT today to give a frame of reference for folks familiar with the car. Being a family-man, I'm only looking at the Sedan models.

2) How much of a market will there be for after-market products for the ATS-V for a little more performance as compared to the CTS-V's V8? I saw the R version has more boost so I imagine there is turbo tuning to be had.

3) Other than the ~12 grand delta between the vehicles, any other major thoughts someone in my shoes should think about between the two cars?

Much thanks!
Jason

See less See more
#2 ·
Both are amazing cars. If you want to see the size difference,, I would assume that the current cts v-sport and (NON V) ats would give you precisely the difference. Ultimately the Ats is considerably smaller, with a back seat best suited to smaller people for any longish drive.

It would seem like you couldn't go wrong with either car!!!

#3 ·
I had a G8 and loved that thing. It would run rings around my V2, except for the power loss. It was "only" 350# lighter than it. I will LOVE the smaller, lighter car; not to mention better mileage with a V-6. I only need the back for a baby seat, so rear room isn't a concern, but it does have folding seats which I love too! I was considering a V3, but the price and size pretty much drove me away. I can't wait to drive this on my smaller tracks.

#4 ·
The ATS is on the Alpha platform. The CTS is simply a stretched Alpha. The ATS-V is actually more comfortable for the driver. Smaller trans tunnel and the same overall width. It feels like a better fit. I'm 6'1 and just under 300.

The CTS has the bigger back seat, obviously. And the bigger trunk.

The lightness and handling of the ATS-V(along with being available with a manual trans) really has me favoring it to the CTS-V.

However, the LS engine in the CTS-V will have infinitely more mods available...

#5 ·
I'm in the same boat and have grown to like the V2 size and trunk room -- but either way, it's a change (step up or step down in size).

GM folks have stated that the ATS-V will be more oriented toward the hardcore set. Until we see numbers, it's a toss up. I like the manual trans of the ATS-V, but prefer the V8 growl of the CTS-V. I'm sure the ATS will be more fuel-efficient. But I do like the look of the CTS-V a bit more...

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Mid-size car

#6 ·
Man I'm really digging the ATS-V. CTS-V will probably be out of my price range anyways, but I dig the size of the ATS. I'd say it's close to the size of the G8.
Aftermarket is yet to be seen, but don't be surprised if the ATS-V is easier out the gate to mod than the CTS-V. All ya gotta do is a tune for turbo. You'll need labor and pulleys for the CTS.

#7 ·
I'm really curious to see what actually happens with the aftermarket support with the ats v.

There are painfully little choices for the vsport which has nearly the same motor.
Not to mention, it'll be interesting how much "safe" headroom gm left with these motors. 18 psi is already up there...

#8 ·
I really can't imagine doing many motor mods to the CTS-V as it should have more than sufficient HP bone stock. I would be hesitant to mod the ats engine as warranty is a nice thing and a grenaded motor would be something of a super bummer.

I'm sure it's old age (I'm 54) but I find myself being realistic (boring) and realizing that I seldome use anywhere near the HP that I have available to me. So I ask myself, "Why am I obsessed with adding more???"

#10 ·
These days car come with so much performance built in that motor mods are mostly good for bench racing as most of us don't have the skill to extract that performance without risking life, limb or car. besides, a Saab 9-3 Viggen I had with the full Abbott Racing catalog installed taught me, sure you gain in some areas but you may loose a lot more in others while spending a lot of green inbetween.....

Jpr

BTW, when is Cadillac going to lift this embargo crap so we can finally get some reviews and new info on the ATS-V. They are getting as good at killing enthusiasm for their car as developing turbos.........

#11 ·
I must respectfully disagree. Most of the CTS-V drivers I have encountered are skilled drivers, who take their cars to the race track too. I am not a skilled driver, but I am frequently using all of the performance my current V has to offer. I modify my cars, and I enjoy using all they have to offer. I can't wait for the new V's to be released as well! What a (seemingly) great platform to start from.

BTW, just out of ignorance and curiosity: How fast can you make a Saab? I never see Saabs at the race track or the drag strip. What is a modified horsepower number for a car like that?

#21 ·
Before I ordered my ATS-V I went shopping for a CTS-V coupe. Are you kidding me! First, most of them are black! No black cars for this kid!
Second, CTS-V coupes are few and far between. My daughter lives in NC and I thought about flying to the Southeast and buying one there and
driving it to NC to visit then driving it back here to WA. It looks like 3/4 of the CTS-Vs are sedans.
I was lucky enough to drive a CTS-V coupe and it's definitely an "E-ticket" ride but it's not quite a match for my Stingray. a little too much car.
I think my ATS-V will be just the thing!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.