Just have a hunch
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac ATS-V Series Forum Discussion, Just have a hunch in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Think Cadillac is going to go 3.6TT in ATS-V and call it a day. I think there gonna save big ...
  1. #1
    Jerzeyboy730's Avatar
    Jerzeyboy730 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    South Jersey
    Age
    35
    Posts
    121

    Just have a hunch

    Think Cadillac is going to go 3.6TT in ATS-V and call it a day. I think there gonna save big 8 for new CTS-V, take easy road and go turbo 6 in the ATS. (Which I have nooooo problem with, great set-up) But I may be way off. Just seems like they would have ATS-V figured out (from CTS V sport) and would be logical motor for ATS-V, and focus on CTS-V power plant.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Whitestone, NY
    Age
    25
    Posts
    2,585

    Re: Just have a hunch

    Well I think that's the general expectation for the ATS-V. But GM has been know to surprise us with what ends up under the hood of these Vs. We'll see shortly.

  4. #3
    Avery323 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    126

    Re: Just have a hunch

    Agree. 3.6TT maybe in the 450 hp range.

  5. #4
    zinner's Avatar
    zinner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V / 2010 SRX 2.8T
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    290

    Re: Just have a hunch

    GM inside news just posted the 2015 ATS info and NO mention of a ATS v anything. They did bump the ATS to 295 tq from 260 yee haw finally back to what the regal GS had in 2012.

  6. #5
    Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Whitestone, NY
    Age
    25
    Posts
    2,585

    Re: Just have a hunch

    It's so late in the ATSs life. If they don't intro the V at NY, they're crazy. The ugly Lexus rc-f and the m3/4 debut at Detriot. It's GM's turn. Anyway, auto show opens to the press on Wednesday I believe. And I already have tickets myself. My gf and I are going this Friday. We'll see.

  7. #6
    ATSwannabe is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    69

    Re: Just have a hunch

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio View Post
    It's so late in the ATSs life. If they don't intro the V at NY, they're crazy. The ugly Lexus rc-f and the m3/4 debut at Detriot. It's GM's turn. Anyway, auto show opens to the press on Wednesday I believe. And I already have tickets myself. My gf and I are going this Friday. We'll see.
    I hope he is wrong but my dealer says there will not be an ATS V this year.He did not elaborate, but he sounded like he got the word late last week from his source.

  8. #7
    M5eater's Avatar
    M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Suffolk, VA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,521

    Re: Just have a hunch

    Quote Originally Posted by ATSwannabe View Post
    I hope he is wrong but my dealer says there will not be an ATS V this year.He did not elaborate, but he sounded like he got the word late last week from his source.
    Dealerships are the last people to know of any new model releases, or information pertaining to a high profile model such as this.

    GM is incredibly tight-lipped about it's V cars. People thought right up until it's debut that the 2nd Gen CTS-V was going to bear an LS7 for example,

    bottom line is, they are not GM corporate employees, they're essentially franchisee's that sell the brand's cars, and probably most GM corporate employee's don't know what's going on with a tiny research group. They have more recently demonstrated that most of the time the own company doesn't know what's going on with itself.

    Although the LF3 seems to be logical, easy and competitive, History would show that they tend to go on the crazy side rather than the safe side. At least with the past 2 generations they have not been content to use ''work-horse'' powertrains for their special cars, they opt to go for V-model specific engines, or at least something borrowed from the corvette (or even the Z06).

    let's not forget that, GM wants to penetrate the european market, and at least there the B8 RS4 still bears the 4.2L FSI V8, and Mercedes is also (presumably) planning a small displacement bi-turbo V8 for the next C63.

    They wouldn't be out of line to throw an LT1 into the V, more so in light of it's fuel efficiency updates that would have barred an LS3 from being considered for example.

    Ultimately, I believe GM is going to choose whatever powertrain adds to the image appeal of the car to prospective buyers, because that's honestly all that is propelling Luxury car sales these days; brand image. In that respect, people still value the corvette name, and a corvette engine in your ATS-V sounds better than a ''twinturbo V6 that's based on the same engine in your impala and also used in the old-mans XTS''. It just doesn't roll off the tongue quite as well.

    If there's one thing that they have demonstrated that they understand; it's that image is just as important as the spec sheet. I'm starting to suspect that because the LF3 is used in other vehicles, it may be off the table simply because of the association with those cars and the effect it would have on the image for an ATS-V.

    BMW has used this tactic to great effect in the F80, the rumor hill has constantly put out a stream of a 'return to the good old days of the M3' with 'curb weights similar to the E46' and so on. While I don't doubt that the consideration to downsize the powertrain(or weight) from 8 to 6 cylinders was taken solely for the purpose to associate itself with the same I6 engines(or low curb weights) BMW is known for, I do think that, in combination with their F/I success with the rest of their models (I don't think BMW makes a single N/A engine these days) it had a huge say in the matter, and it's also something that they've openly embraced. They also make fat cars, and they know it.

    See here! This F80 is as light as the old one, and it has an I6 we're known for just like the old one!

    The fact that the N54 in which it's based off of is the best tuner's powertrain in the group right now was probably another consideration(meaning it could be adapted for Mpower easily), but even then they were not content to simply tweak the engine, they made significant changes to make it special. Only the 1M saw a 'carry over' N54 with minor tuning changes, but that should be taken in consideration that everything in the 1M was a hoge-poge of M parts anyway.

  9. #8
    rand49er's Avatar
    rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    South Lyon, MI
    Age
    65
    Posts
    13,289

    Re: Just have a hunch

    Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    ... GM is incredibly tight-lipped about it's V cars. People thought right up until it's debut that the 2nd Gen CTS-V was going to bear an LS7 ...
    Many of us had it with an LS42, actually.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

  10. #9
    M5eater's Avatar
    M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Suffolk, VA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,521

    Re: Just have a hunch

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio View Post
    It's so late in the ATSs life. If they don't intro the V at NY, they're crazy. The ugly Lexus rc-f and the m3/4 debut at Detriot. It's GM's turn. Anyway, auto show opens to the press on Wednesday I believe. And I already have tickets myself. My gf and I are going this Friday. We'll see.
    Day 1 for press;

    no ATS-V sighting.

  11. #10
    Avery323 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    126

    Re: Just have a hunch

    Does Cadillac have a press slot tomorrow? If not, then they're not introducing anything at the show.

  12. #11
    M5eater's Avatar
    M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Suffolk, VA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,521

    Re: Just have a hunch

    Quote Originally Posted by Avery323 View Post
    Does Cadillac have a press slot tomorrow? If not, then they're not introducing anything at the show.
    Nope

    no ATS-V this time kiddies.

  13. #12
    Avery323 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    126

    Re: Just have a hunch

    There must be a huge internal debate which way to go with this car because that can be the only reason things have ground to a halt on this car. Hell, even the CTS-V looks farther along. Think about it, when's the last time we've seen any spy shots on the ATS-V? As has been posted elsewhere, GM is rumored to be weighing rear-wheel vs AWD, twin turbo vs V8 vs some non-GM 3.2 (remember that rumor?!) and all the combinations in between. So frustrating. And for enthusiasts, a huge break in the momentum for this brand.
    JFJr likes this.

  14. #13
    M5eater's Avatar
    M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Suffolk, VA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,521

    Re: Just have a hunch

    Quote Originally Posted by Avery323 View Post
    There must be a huge internal debate which way to go with this car because that can be the only reason things have ground to a halt on this car. Hell, even the CTS-V looks farther along. Think about it, when's the last time we've seen any spy shots on the ATS-V? As has been posted elsewhere, GM is rumored to be weighing rear-wheel vs AWD, twin turbo vs V8 vs some non-GM 3.2 (remember that rumor?!) and all the combinations in between. So frustrating. And for enthusiasts, a huge break in the momentum for this brand.
    I really don't think there's been much internal debate regarding All vs Rear wheel drive. Cadillac has made it well known that their focus has been about BMW and fun to drive cars. Both goals somewhat mutually exclude the possibility of an AWD performance car.

    Engine selection, and fine tuning to ensure that they best BMW are a completely different matter. This car is critical to their success for the next decade given 3 series sales is what's driving BMW, and has driven them for the last 30 years, and the ATS, not the CTS, is what's going to get their foot in the door for Europe.

    When you consider that GM is investing in Cadillac to offset SUV sales and get it's share of the lucrative luxury car market, and that said market is driven 90% by image, this makes a perfect V even more important.

    If they don't get this car as damn near perfect as they're capable, it's going to put a large dent in their reputation they've built up since the beginning of the 1st generation CTS, it's going to put a detriment for their global aspirations which are already somewhat weak willed, and it's going to turn people off.

    Cadillac knocked the ball out of the park so hard with the 2nd generation V that I fear the monster has awoken on the new F80 and Cadillac is having trouble trying to tame the beast again. BMW has gone so far as to use lithium ion car batteries in the M3, which sort of tells me that they've gone to a ''whatever it takes'' kind of way at making that car.
    JFJr likes this.

  15. #14
    ATSwannabe is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    69

    Re: Just have a hunch

    Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    I really don't think there's been much internal debate regarding All vs Rear wheel drive. Cadillac has made it well known that their focus has been about BMW and fun to drive cars. Both goals somewhat mutually exclude the possibility of an AWD performance car.

    Engine selection, and fine tuning to ensure that they best BMW are a completely different matter. This car is critical to their success for the next decade given 3 series sales is what's driving BMW, and has driven them for the last 30 years, and the ATS, not the CTS, is what's going to get their foot in the door for Europe.

    When you consider that GM is investing in Cadillac to offset SUV sales and get it's share of the lucrative luxury car market, and that said market is driven 90% by image, this makes a perfect V even more important.

    If they don't get this car as damn near perfect as they're capable, it's going to put a large dent in their reputation they've built up since the beginning of the 1st generation CTS, it's going to put a detriment for their global aspirations which are already somewhat weak willed, and it's going to turn people off.

    Cadillac knocked the ball out of the park so hard with the 2nd generation V that I fear the monster has awoken on the new F80 and Cadillac is having trouble trying to tame the beast again. BMW has gone so far as to use lithium ion car batteries in the M3, which sort of tells me that they've gone to a ''whatever it takes'' kind of way at making that car.
    A lot of truth here but you can wait & wait & wait for the perfect V,but sooner or later they are going to discourage many enthusiasts who will get tired of waiting and buy the M3,or the C63 or some other brand that introduces a viable option.Especially if they price it too high.

    ----------

    I still think the slow sales of the 2014 CTS which is causing big discounts on both the CTS & the ATS is a big reason they didn't introduce the ATS V now.I think Cadillac is taking a step back and is trying to figure out what to do next.The having discounting has to put a big dent in the profit of cadillac,not to mention the huge GM recall cost.I think they are having a problem in pricing the ATS V because you can now buy a CTS Vsport for about 52K.
    M5eater likes this.

  16. #15
    bruff1977 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Stafford, VA
    Posts
    228
    I think the engineers and developers have pushed back the ATS-V release because they are taking a 'no holds barred' approach. I require THE BEST ATS-V available... Not a lot of options. No need for a 'plus' model. This car should and hopefully will be of epic proportion, like the Z06 and the Z28. It should be the greatest car on the Alpha chassis.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting